Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
ok, here's the deal. I'm a christian in a serious relationship with another christian. We live together, but we have remained pure the entire 2 yrs. we've been together, with the exception of a few times we succombed to the heat of the moment when we didn't live together. (this happened at the beginning of our relationship) Now that we live together, don't ask me why, but sex is not an issue for us at all....i.e a temptation. I know this is not the norm as most people would find it hard to not have sex if they lived together. We are both very committed to not having sex till marriage and by now this state of mind or practice of abstinence has become the norm in our relationship. I liken it to a person who goes on a diet, who at first really misses chocolate cake, but then gets accustomed to eating vegetables, until vegetables really then taste good.

Anyway, our intention was never to live together, but the reason this happened is a long and complicated story......mostly due to financial difficulties and some emergency situations outside our doing. In a nutshell, he moved to my area out of state with no money due to an unforeseen and sudden decision he had to make regarding his living situation. (he was planning on coming here once he finished school and with some money to set himself up etc.) This plan was cut short due to some violent occurances where he was living that just made it impossible to live there. (crazy drug addict room mate). He had very little money and no where to go so i offered to help him find a job and a place once he got here.

Meanwhile, at the time when i met him, i was living with my mother and on disability due to a medical condition that i developed in the last 6 yrs. which prevents me from working. I lived with her for 3 yrs. while i got treatment since my income couldn't afford me my own place. Living with my mother was very difficult since she has a lot of mental issues (paranoid and delusional) and can become very controlling and even violent. I had to put up with it because i simply had no choice since my disability income just wasn't enough to afford the high rents where i live.

Anyway after he told me what had happened with his living situation, i told my bf to come to my area, stay at a hotel and i would help him find a job etc. Well, long story short, i helped him apply everywhere and he was able to get a freelance gig doing some graphics design work that he was able to do using my computer since i had the software he needed. Well, that fell through as soon as my mom started up with her craziness. Her paranoia kicked in and she falsely accused my bf of being a con artist and stealing her credit card blah, blah blah. She even stole my flash drive containing our emails so as to show the FBI as evidence. Knowing how i know my mother, she pretty much couldn't deal with the fact that i was giving my attentions to someone else and she could not control me. Oh yes, and did i mention that i'm almost 40 yrs. old.?...lol....My mother infantilizes me and has such difficulty with seeing me do my own thing. As a side note....i've been on my own since college, but only had to move in with her for 3 yrs. due to my illness. Anyway, after a lot of chaos at my mom's apt. we got into an argument and she ended up throwing me out in the dead of winter. I had no where else to go so i lived with my bf at the hotel he was staying at. He of course lost that freelance job he got since he no longer could use my computer. The little money he came with ran out and for 4 months we paid the hotel on the little money i had from disability. This barely made ends meet and there were times that we had to sleep in my car because we couldn't even afford hotel costs. Since he didn't even have the proper clothes for a proffesional interview (since he left in a hurry), he couldn't even apply to any good paying jobs. He applied everywhere and still nothing. Finally he got a crappy part time job at staples for 3 weeks, but was told not to come back unless he had black dress shoes which he couldn't afford. As you can imagine, this was a very difficult situation that i had never been in in my entire life. As desperate and as stressful as it all was, we both hung in there and depended on god a lot. God really came thru miraculously on many occasions by providing for us just at the last minute. We really learned a lot and drew closer to him thru prayer.

Finally things started looking up when my brother was able to pull a few strings with the mayor of our town and i was able to get an apt. at this low income housing unit that had just been built. The rent was affordable and best of all, they allowed me to keep my 2 large dogs who are like children to me. Ok, so we finally got rid of the pressure of housing costs and moved in to this apt. My boyfriend was able to finally secure a permanent job after doing a lot of temp. free lance stuff for a while. He is finally now in a position to afford living on his own, but since we want to get married, we both feel that it would happen quicker if we just continue living together in order to save up for wedding. Nothing fancy or grand, but something nice enough to be memorable.

Now my question to the forum is: Do you think it's a sin that we are living together even if we don't have sex? If you believe it a sin, please give biblical support for your answer. Please don't mention how it's a sexual temptation....because, in this case, it honestly isn't.
I'm not super human and neither is he and i normally probably wouldn't be able to live together with someone else without succumbing to sex, but, for some or many reasons, abstinence is firmly established in our relationship. Perhaps it's the holy spirit, our commitment to obedience or a side effect of the medications we both take....i don't know.

I honestly feel like my conscience is clear of any wrong doing since we are saving our bodies in this way. I feel like we have a very good and healthy relationship in that we have always made God the center of it and have really cultivated something beautiful....the likes of which i have never known. We pray together regularly and are very committed to the spiritual build up of one another. Anyway...this is beside the point. I just want opinions and hear out what others have to say. Please keep in mind that i don't believe that 2 christians living together is generally a good idea, but i also realize that each individual case must be looked at separately which is why i explained in some detail my situation.

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's a sin. As long as there's no sexual activity or sexual temptation where you could easily compromise yourselves, then it's no different than having a roommate of the opposite sex. I've had multiple roommates of the opposite sex in the past and there was absolutely nothing sexual or sexually tempting about it since there was no romantic interest on either person's part.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14:13 (NIV) Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
This is the only thing that I really know of that you may be up against and that people may bring up who are opposed to you living with your bf while remaining sexually pure. Basically, you should do your best to not put any stumbling blocks in your believing friends' pathways, so to avoid being a stumbling block, you could either not live with your boyfriend or live with your boyfriend but keep it on the DL and not announce it to those around you. Make the fact that you're living with your boyfriend private information, but don't be too concerned if people find out cause of nosiness. Nosy people are going to be nosy and get offended by everything, anyway, so you can disregard them--they go around looking for trouble. Personally, I'd go with the second choice since money is tight and having to find random roommates is a huge gamble. Go for it!

The other common verse that people quote would be the KJV of 1 Thessalonians 5:22, but simply put, the KJV is mistranslated from the original Greek. You can read a bit more about it here if you'd like: http://www.crivoice.org/appearance.html

Upvote 0

Weasel7711

I'm in love with a bunnymedic!
Jun 17, 2004
Virginia Beach
Visit site
✟13,220.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me but I will not be mastered by anything.
1 Cor 6:12

It's kind of like lighting matches right after swimming in gasoline. Not sinful but not the greatest idea.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me but I will not be mastered by anything.

It's kind of like lighting matches right after swimming in gasoline. Not sinful but not the greatest idea.
Yup, Weasel says it well.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Not sinful but not the greatest idea.
Actually, it's a wonderful idea! Living together lets you get to know a person MUCH more than if you only visit them. In the case of marriage, it makes the transition much smoother and easier.

And it's good that you are NOT a stumbling block to all those who still equate being a believer with following random, but strict, rules like "thou shalt not live under the same roof unless thy be marriedest".

Don't worry about offending people. If anyone should be offended, it's you - I find it offensive that christians (of all people) constantly assume the worst about you, and assume that we're all uncontrollable sexual maniacs who will not miss any opportunity to get laid :)

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't worry about offending people. If anyone should be offended, it's you - I find it offensive that christians (of all people) constantly assume the worst about you, and assume that we're all uncontrollable sexual maniacs who will not miss any opportunity to get laid :)
You officially win the thread.

This is one thing that has always bothered me about Christians: their inability to not be sexual or find the sin in every little thing. It doesn't make them better Christians in doing so, it just adds unneeded stress to a relationship.

wonderwoman, you're on the right track. Good job.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is the only thing that I really know of that you may be up against and that people may bring up who are opposed to you living with your bf while remaining sexually pure. Basically, you should do your best to not put any stumbling blocks in your believing friends' pathways, so to avoid being a stumbling block, you could either not live with your boyfriend or live with your boyfriend but keep it on the DL and not announce it to those around you. Make the fact that you're living with your boyfriend private information, but don't be too concerned if people find out cause of nosiness. Nosy people are going to be nosy and get offended by everything, anyway, so you can disregard them--they go around looking for trouble. Personally, I'd go with the second choice since money is tight and having to find random roommates is a huge gamble. Go for it!

The other common verse that people quote would be the KJV of 1 Thessalonians 5:22, but simply put, the KJV is mistranslated from the original Greek. You can read a bit more about it here if you'd like: http://www.crivoice.org/appearance.html

your actions seem to be more of an inspiration then a stumbling block as in this post, in my opinion. being able to accomplish this is a great feat in my eyes...if you can do it LIVING with the guy, why can't I?

Upvote 0

PostTribber

Jul 14, 2007
Woodland, CA
✟11,210.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now my question to the forum is: Do you think it's a sin that we are living together even if we don't have sex? If you believe it a sin, please give biblical support for your answer.
"Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22) :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

how does living together appear evil? because we are a jaded people and must make inappropriate assumptions of people? if i live with a woman do i appear to be a lesbian?

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I hear where you're coming from...but neither of us are being "mastered by anything".....The sex thing is simply not a struggle for us. We don't even do much beyond kissing. There is a lot of affection between us, but it doesn't translate into the erotic realm. We are reserving that for marriage. Neither one of us feel sexually frustrated or feel this great temptation in our daily living arrangement. He doesn't see me naked, i don't see him naked. Even our sleeping schedules are different since i'm a night owl. So, no one here is swimming in gasoline.

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

With all due respect, you are not only misreading this verse, but applying it incorrectly. Thanx to the kjv, which mistranslated this verse, lots of christians have used this verse as the default verse to argue against christians living together even if they don't have sex.

1thess5-22.jpg

(transliteration: apo pantos eidous ponèrou apechesthe)

Literally translated: "from every form of evil be abstaining."

Elsewhere in this book Paul clearly categorizes "fornication" as evil and exhorts the thessalonians to live a life "set apart". So it's clear to me that fornication outside of marriage is sinful. I'm not sexually active with my boyfriend, so in this, i am certain i'm not going against god's will.

"It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid "inappropriate contenteia"; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; ...." (1 thess. 4:3)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
so my question is this. if your conscience is clear why are you posting about this and asking whether or not we think its okay?

I'm not really sure what is behind your question. Correct me if i'm misinterpreting you, but it seems you are questioning the genuiness of my clear conscience simply because i am bringing this question to public forum. Let me be clear, i'm not looking for validation nor condemnation.....i am simply curious how other believers view my situation. I am not interested in mere opinion....i'm mostly interested in points of views on this particular matter that are backed up with scripture. I really don't give a crap if mrs. judgmental church lady thinks it's wrong because it's "unseemly"....i'm looking for intelligent reasoning and sound biblical interpretation behind their responses.

I'm primarily asking because i value wise advice and input from those in the body that may have something to teach me. Secondly the reason this whole issue came up for me was because of a heated argument i had with a friend of mine recently. She pretty much accused me of choosing this relationship with this man above God because i am living with him. She "tried" to tactfully say that god won't bless my relationship with my boyfriend because i'm living in disobedience. She says she believes me when i tell her that i'm not sexually active with my boyfriend but her argument is that the reason she believes my living with him is wrong is because there's more to marriage than sex and since my living with him gives me the fruits of marriage that is why it is wrong. blah, blah blah...it's scriptural she says, blah, blah blah....

The reason i wanted to pose this question here is because i wanted to get a more objective perspective since i took great offense to what my friend said. Of course it's natural for anyone to become defensive if their commitment to god is questioned (whether true of not), but I think what angered me most was that she, of all people, had the audacity to tell me this. Not that she's a raving nympho or regularly promiscuous, but she has a history of having made several sexual compromises with unbelieving boyfriends she's never lived with but was in relationships with. She also struggles with homosexuality till this day and has been involved with 2 women. She tends to go to extremes: either makes these huge brazen compromises or lives like a nun. She's currently in nun mode right now and has sworn her life to celibacy as a form of penance for putting up her daughter for adoption when she gave birth out of wedlock several yrs. ago.

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm not convinced that my sexless livin relationship would be a stumbling block to other believers who struggle with sexual temptations----i don't think this situation falls under the category of what paul was referring to.

My family and close friends know i live with him and also know that we're both celibate till marriage. It's not something i announce to other believers since they may assume i'm having sex with him, but if asked i won't lie.

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agreed. I married my ex husband without living with him and that turned out just peachy (divorce, woo).

I did live with boyfriends in the past, and living with them showed me how NOT RIGHT we were for each other :p

I have been living with my fiancé for nearly the entire time we've been dating actually, and it's been wonderful, we're perfectly compatible in every way and we wouldn't know this so truthfully if we weren't living under the same roof, we are much different people behind closed doors.

I personally feel (read these words before you tell me I'm insulting you! It's an opinion that you can choose to ignore!) that it's foolish to marry someone you haven't lived with, and that's my personal standpoint.

AMEN :D

Christians always assume the worst which.. is kinda contrary to what the nature of being Christian -should be-, if you think about it.

~ Lynn
i don't at all agree that it's foolish to NOT live with someone before marriage. Living with someone doesn't necessarily make for a better marriage. I've no question i'm going to marry this man i'm living with....the only obstacle is money. If i had the money for a wedding right now, i'd be married tomorrow. I definately wouldn't be living with him for the sake of living with someone. If i was still in a courting phase where i'm getting to know him, i wouldn't be living with him. Our culture teaches us that it is better to live with someone than marry them because if it doesn't work out you can just walk away without any complications. It also teaches us that living together makes for a good and healthy "test drive" for what the marriage will be like. I disagree with this thinking because it disregards what marriage really is in the eyes of god. Having to live with someone is not a barometer for whether someone is right or wrong for me.....i can find that out without shacking up....can't you? Are you saying that had you not lived with them you would have ended up marrying them? I've dated plenty of guys i didn't live with who, once i got to know them, i learned they weren't right for me. What i'm saying is that i don't need to live with someone to find out whether they're right for me or not.

If you don't mind me asking....do you believe that there are such things as sins? If so, how do we as believers determine what is or isn't a sin? Do you believe that premarital sex is god's will for his people? I only ask because i'm trying to get a gage for your world view.

Upvote 0

PostTribber

Jul 14, 2007
Woodland, CA
✟11,210.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With all due respect, you are not only misreading this verse, but applying it incorrectly.
"Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

as 'elect' of God, Jesus declares "be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48) you did ask "Do you think it's a sin that we are living together even if we don't have sex? If you believe it a sin, please give biblical support for your answer." I merely quoted a scripture to you, and you have rejected it outright. nuff said!

you opened this thread with a very detailed explanation as to why you see no sin in the matter, even though you did mention that 'fornication' was an issue at the beginning. your request to be spiritually challenged on the matter is therefore not genuine, since you have already convinced yourself of the 'righteousness' of your position.

though not entirely your fault, salvation without repentance has become the mainstay of today's evangelical movement. the Church has stripped Jesus of being LORD, and no longer believes His admonition to, "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

it's not enough that we forsake sin, but as believers we are to keep away from even the appearance of sin, or "any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak." (Romans 14:21)

if you have scriptural support for your position, then please share that with us. "Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." (Romans 14:22) ...and there's a lot of 'happy' believers going down the path that is wide. :doh:

Upvote 0