Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most people I know would think that people living together and not married are having sex. What people do you know that are that clueless.

If its an appearance of evil. What would give the appearance of evil in dating?

AT

It's interesting how varied perceptions can be. I have no doubt you are around many people with that perception, but maybe it has something to do with age.

Men and women living together is common. I've had dozens of friends who do this. It's usually just because they are friends – they like to be around each other. Sometimes it's because they want to split rent. And I'm sure many more reasons.

I personally would never assume someone is having sex because they are living together. Seems like a monster assumption.

In addition, if you make that assumption, it would be true of anyone living together. Men with men. Women with women.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and as for the marriage according to God thing...wouldn't that be when you have sex you are "married"? :scratch: that seemed to be the defining thing, from my perspective.

It wasn't quite that simple, even in the Bible. Marriage was a covenant that was intentionally entered into, not something that just happened because people had sex. There were bride-prices and wedding feasts and betrothals. (Joseph and Mary were betrothed when she became pregnant with Jesus, but they hadn't had sex yet, and he would have had to divorce her to break it off.) Besides that, if sex were the determining factor in the Bible, then there wouldn't have been any concubines, only wives. Anyway, my view on marriage is that, then and now, it's a covenant between a man and a woman, who are joined together by God, and I believe that sex is right only within the context of that covenant relationship.

As far as living together without having sex, that could depend somewhat on the circumstances. My sister lived in a house with a couple of guys as roommates one summer, no sex involved. (She had a boyfriend who didn't live with her.) No one would have even thought that they were having sex because she wasn't dating them. However, a guy and a girl who are dating probably would give a different appearance because most people, especially those who are not Christians, probably would assume that they were having sex. And I think there would be a lot more temptation to have sex if a couple were living together, no matter how pure their intentions. Overall, I don't think it would be a great idea in most cases.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting how varied perceptions can be. I have no doubt you are around many people with that perception, but maybe it has something to do with age.

Men and women living together is common. I've had dozens of friends who do this. It's usually just because they are friends – they like to be around each other. Sometimes it's because they want to split rent. And I'm sure many more reasons.

I personally would never assume someone is having sex because they are living together. Seems like a monster assumption.

In addition, if you make that assumption, it would be true of anyone living together. Men with men. Women with women.
I must agree with this in certain cases. We have 3 college students in the apartment across the hall from us. 2 guys, 1 girl. 3 bedroom apartment. Do any of them have sex? Nooo idea! For all I know the guys are gay. *lol*

I wonder if this drifted from my origional question a bit. It seems to have gone from living together before marriage (which indicates a couple who are going to get married, not just roomates)..to just friends of opposite sexes. :)

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sophia, I think sex has always been the act of marriage. Those things you referred to are additiions men made to enhance the occassion.

Yes, but my point was that even in Bible times people were not considered married simply because they had sex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dania

New Child Of Christ -- Representing KINGSTON
Jan 19, 2008
✟7,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my and my bf of 4 years were saying that maybe the last part of college we would move in together.. this was cool back then. but now its not.. cause i am converted..

why exactly is it bad... i asked a man who is SDA once and mostly he response came down to what other PPL would say!! lol.. should i really care in a situation like this what other ppl say. i can just imagine the hypocritical pastors calling out my situation in the church sermon..
"they say they are christian but they are having sex, sleeping in the same bed etc" lol. and even if i sleep in the same bed. so what. dont i know my boundaries. when i see him nowadays we still ly down and chat.. in the same bed..... since i became a christin its not like we have to be on the two farther ends of the dinning table to talk.. but i know my boundaries...

so really. is there a problem with living together before marriage..
i think majoritiy of long relationship ending with a short marriage and divorce is due to this problem. u dont know the real side of someone til u have lived with them. i would like to live in the same space to see if i could cope.. then make the commitment

Upvote 0

Avonia

Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
my and my bf of 4 years were saying that maybe the last part of college we would move in together.. this was cool back then. but now its not.. cause i am converted..

why exactly is it bad... i asked a man who is SDA once and mostly he response came down to what other PPL would say!! lol.. should i really care in a situation like this what other ppl say. i can just imagine the hypocritical pastors calling out my situation in the church sermon..
"they say they are christian but they are having sex, sleeping in the same bed etc" lol. and even if i sleep in the same bed. so what. dont i know my boundaries. when i see him nowadays we still ly down and chat.. in the same bed..... since i became a christin its not like we have to be on the two farther ends of the dinning table to talk.. but i know my boundaries...

so really. is there a problem with living together before marriage..
i think majoritiy of long relationship ending with a short marriage and divorce is due to this problem. u dont know the real side of someone til u have lived with them. i would like to live in the same space to see if i could cope.. then make the commitment

Hi Dania!

I wonder if a more significant issue is the separation of physical intimacy from overall intimacy. When you isolate one aspect of falling in love, like sex, it's no longer holistic. I suspect this contributes to the sexual dysfunction in so many marriages.

When couples date for years without incorporating the natural evolution of physical love, there's often no way to work it in – so to speak – later. Union, when multi-dimensional, is very much like a death and rebirth. The cosmos truly moves in the instant of coming together, anew, as one. For many couples who have never moved beyond a more primitive version, physical building and release with a small emotional component, they have no way of knowing what's possible. And often is very difficult for more sophisticated intimacy to develop, because it did not do so naturally.

Sex can be such a powerful, intimate experience that it can affect a couple at many levels for days! Not just seconds! A multi-dimensional, euphoric peace – it's truly extraordinary.

Having said that, religious programming is good at creating guilt, which is de-constructive. So, if living together, or anything else, makes someone feel guilty – they shouldn't do it.

I was around an Adventist couple last year that had "gone out" for almost two years and had made the choice to not have any physical contact – like even holding hands. Certainly not kissing! Interesting.

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
remember the bible never defines marriage... if you are living together as a committed couple and intend to stay together indefinately, then, for God's purposes, you are married.

God doesn't care about marriage certificates and stupid meringue dresses
Then explain Jesus' stamp of approval of a the public display of two people committing to each other by attending the Wedding CEREMONY at Cana. As a matter of fact--this was beginning of His miracles.

Then there is the constant reference in both old and new testaments to WEDDINGS. Even so much so that WE are called the BRIDE of Christ.

I think perhaps you need to go back and reread the scriptures concerning God's requirements for co-habitation.

Take into consideration that when Haggar bore Ishmael, God did not consider him Abraham's 'legitimate' son. Why not? They apparently had sex right? Something in God's eyes separated the relationship between Abraham and Sarah over that of Abraham and Haggar. God even uses the terms in describing their relationship as 'husband and wife'.

Also see that when God's followers begin to adore 'other gods'--He refers to it as ADULTERY. This is a legal term for sexual unfaithfulness. So you can see that God does equate sex with marriage. Anything outside of it is then sin.

One other aspect that we must consider is this. When a man and woman live together, the ASSUMPTION is that they are being intimate. Hardly would anyone be so naive as to think that at some point this act is not happening. So what does the bible have to say about this...??

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Relationships should grow... this is why I think that people should become engaged within a year of dating (unless there is a very good reason not to).

The issue that many people lack currently is commitment. You don't get commitment by getting as close to possible, and not committing. The success rate of people who live together as 'trial' runs for marriages is no higher then the average.

I also haven't seen that those who wait are sexually stunted Avonia.

Jon Miller

Upvote 0

Avonia

Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Relationships should grow... this is why I think that people should become engaged within a year of dating (unless there is a very good reason not to).

The issue that many people lack currently is commitment. You don't get commitment by getting as close to possible, and not committing. The success rate of people who live together as 'trial' runs for marriages is no higher then the average.

I also haven't seen that those who wait are sexually stunted Avonia.

Jon Miller

Most studies I've seen say that the divorce rate of people who cohabitate before marriage is quite a bit higher than those who don't.

But, you have to look more deeply to understand why. Including, as you say, the level of commitment that people go into marriage with and how liberal their views are on divorce.

What I do think is destructive (to unity) is sex without intimacy. Whether before or after marriage. So in that sense, I think that "casual" sex or sex based on unilateral needs works against union.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Then explain Jesus' stamp of approval of a the public display of two people committing to each other by attending the Wedding CEREMONY at Cana. As a matter of fact--this was beginning of His miracles.
You would have a stronger case if you could cite something from the OT. But you can't. Jesus attended a social function to which He was invited. If you want to call that a stamp of approval then you have to say that modern Christians do not have His stamp of approval because our weddings don't resemble the wedding at Cana.

Upvote 0

Avonia

Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would you go up to being as intimate as you can be, and not commit?

Jon Miller

Because I don't view the ceremony of marriage as a simple threshold, on the other side of which, agreements are static. Marriage is an organic agreement. It's not the ceremony or signed documents. And commitment is not one moment when papers are signed.

When we first meet someone, this is the beginning of marriage. Intimacy builds from there.

Upvote 0

Avonia

Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think some things (that you or someone close to you have done) must have bothered you greatly. You don't seem to comprehend commitment.

JM

I've had the luxury of being around relationships that worked. No divorce on either side of my family (parents) as far as we can trace. Beautiful relationship with my parents, who themselves have a lovely marriage. Amazing siblings. And lifelong friends. In my inner circle, I've pretty much only been around commitment that worked well.

You might want to put less weight on your thinking when it comes to things you know nothing about.

Upvote 0