Living on your own before marrying?

anglozaxon

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think everything will be okay, you all :) He and I had some great conversations together this weekend that helped clarify some very important matters. I couldn't be more thankful!

Aww I am glad things are going well for you I hope we all get a wedding invite when it finally happens;)

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(I didn't think it was necessary to quote the whole thing, haha)

I completely agree with you. My problem is that a lot of Christians don't seem to have the understanding that age and life experience have a vital role to play. Several people told me that if my husband hadn't proposed by a year (or two years), he was never going to. I'm really glad you clarified that age is a factor here, because my concern was that people will see this and think it applies to their situation, though it may be completely different :)

Oh ok. . . age has a lot to do with it, because age not only determines how much life experience you've had, but also often what you are doing in life and also how much time you have to have children if you want them.

Some Christians if you ask me are caught up in what I would call the purity cult. And that is that their singe and often overriding focus in life is all the people out there having sex before marriage.

Now don't get me wrong, sex before marriage is a sin. However the extreme focus some have given it can cause a lot problems.

And so you have your experience. . . the purity cult has determined probably correctly that most people are just not going to remain virgins until they are 25+ and get married.

Their solution however is the problem, and that is to try and pressure and force younger people, people still in college, people who have just graduated from high school even to rush to the altar and get married. If you marry them before they've faced too much temptation (and quite frankly social embarrassment from being a virgin) then they don't have pre-marital sex.

On top of this there is quite a bit of worship within the Christian faith of the idea of marriage and family. If you had not read the bible, and where learning about Christianity from what you saw in many Christian churchs (even many of the better ones), you would not belive that the bible actually says that singleness is superior to marriage and would think that not being married by age 25 was some sort of sin.

Problem is that pushing people to marry young increases their chances for divorce quite significantly. (Which is also a sin that many Christians have chosen to ignore.)

So it does not surprise me that you had Christians trying to rush you to the altar. So many of them have the programming in their head that after you become an adult the only thing you should be considering (especially as a woman) is getting married and making babies.

Upvote 0

somethingBEAUTIFUL

Feb 25, 2007
Alabama
✟8,532.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Oh ok. . . age has a lot to do with it, because age not only determines how much life experience you've had, but also often what you are doing in life and also how much time you have to have children if you want them.

Some Christians if you ask me are caught up in what I would call the purity cult. And that is that their singe and often overriding focus in life is all the people out there having sex before marriage.

Now don't get me wrong, sex before marriage is a sin. However the extreme focus some have given it can cause a lot problems.

And so you have your experience. . . the purity cult has determined probably correctly that most people are just not going to remain virgins until they are 25+ and get married.

Their solution however is the problem, and that is to try and pressure and force younger people, people still in college, people who have just graduated from high school even to rush to the altar and get married. If you marry them before they've faced too much temptation (and quite frankly social embarrassment from being a virgin) then they don't have pre-marital sex.

On top of this there is quite a bit of worship within the Christian faith of the idea of marriage and family. If you had not read the bible, and where learning about Christianity from what you saw in many Christian churchs (even many of the better ones), you would not belive that the bible actually says that singleness is superior to marriage and would think that not being married by age 25 was some sort of sin.

Problem is that pushing people to marry young increases their chances for divorce quite significantly. (Which is also a sin that many Christians have chosen to ignore.)

So it does not surprise me that you had Christians trying to rush you to the altar. So many of them have the programming in their head that after you become an adult the only thing you should be considering (especially as a woman) is getting married and making babies.

Excellent post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Also, off-topic, but I see you and your wife are expecting, correct? Congrats!

Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe we need a little more time to grow, especially with me telling him last Thursday that I wante

d us to quit having sex. When we saw each other Saturday night, things got a little heated, but it didn't go too far. Yesterday, we passed with flying colors. There was not a thing that went on that was inappropriate, which I praise God for. He made it a point to mention how much he enjoyed spending time with me yesterday, too.

Good for you. Now you two may start to learn new things about each other.

Totally off topic, but I feel really sad for my 46 yr old friend who has been dating the same guy for close to 6 years and she has given up the idea of bearing her own children. He's a really nice guy and they don't have intercourse, but they live like a married couple most weekends in all other ways. I wish some wise man at his church would become aware of the situation and give him some wise counsel. Sighhhh. She swore up and down a few years back that she wasn't going to wait forever on him. I bet if she wasn't being his almost wife every weekend he would've been a bit more proactive.

Upvote 0