Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello :wave:
Please forgive my ignorance.
I don't know any Jewish women in my life so when I saw this forum I was happy.
I'd like to ask how your daily life practices are do you still observe Shabbat (sp?) and things is it still very much a Jewish life but one that believes in the Messiah? Or is it less about observing things as Christians celebrate less things?
Do married Jewish Christians or Christian Jews cover their hair and sit in separate places?
Sorry I have so many questions I'm very interested in the faiths roots.

Heaven bless you.

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a Christian, but the few Jewish women and men I've met who converted to Christianity came from secular backgrounds. So they didn't tend to carry traditions and observances into their "new" life. I did meet two secular Jews who became Messianic, and they actually increased their observances because they did nothing before.
Orthodoxy has separate seating and covering the hair, so I would doubt most Jews who become Christians follow those practices.
BTW, welcome to the forum!

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

AnnekeCr

Aug 1, 2012
Melbourne
✟8,309.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi :) I go to a Messianic congregation, but I'm not Jewish myself. It's different for everyone.

For some the discovery of their Jewish Messiah has led them to a deeper hunger for their "Jewishness" and have a newfound interest in keeping Torah. Some of the Jewish believers at my congregation do observe Shabbat, eat kosher (not rabbinic rules, just the Biblical ones), some men wear the prayer shawl, etc. Others don't.

Other Jewish believers don't observe the Shabbat, or keep Torah. They have found a new freedom in Messiah, that they have been set free from the commands of the Torah. Yet, some of the 'free-er' Jewish believers will for instance, prefer to walk to synagogue, or not eat pork, not because the Torah instructs them, but because they feel God has specifically spoken to them or has put that on their hearts.

Also, we don't sit separately. Men and women sit wherever they want and it's a very cheerful gathering with lots of singing and dancing.

Very happy to answer any questions you have. :) It's a beautiful discovery to find the Jewish roots of our faith.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi :) I go to a Messianic congregation, but I'm not Jewish myself. It's different for everyone.

For some the discovery of their Jewish Messiah has led them to a deeper hunger for their "Jewishness" and have a newfound interest in keeping Torah. Some of the Jewish believers at my congregation do observe Shabbat, eat kosher (not rabbinic rules, just the Biblical ones), some men wear the prayer shawl, etc. Others don't.

Other Jewish believers don't observe the Shabbat, or keep Torah. They have found a new freedom in Messiah, that they have been set free from the commands of the Torah. Yet, some of the 'free-er' Jewish believers will for instance, prefer to walk to synagogue, or not eat pork, not because the Torah instructs them, but because they feel God has specifically spoken to them or has put that on their hearts.

Also, we don't sit separately. Men and women sit wherever they want and it's a very cheerful gathering with lots of singing and dancing.

Very happy to answer any questions you have. :) It's a beautiful discovery to find the Jewish roots of our faith.
I haven't spent much time in MJ synagogues. Most of them are far to Protestant for me--if I'm going to observe Torah, I want to be around Torah keepers, and if I want to be around fellow Jews, I need to go to a regular synagogue. So my very personal preference is to keep going to church, but once a month attend my local synagogue. Even that's imperfect, since it's Reform, and I tend to be the most observant Jew there.

But there was an MJ synagogue I visited back when I lived in LA that I found very interesting. It used an Orthodox Siddur (prayer book) going back and forth between Hebrew and English, supplementing only with a preliminary song sheet and a reading from the Brit Hadasha. More Jews attended there than Gentiles, and you actually had second generation MJ's (young adults that had grown up in MJ homes) who were marrying. It had a Shabbat school, and a Torah portion class. The sermon was on, "Why a Jew should be kosher." It had a super Oneg afterwords. I loved this synagogue, because it was the first MJ synagogue that really earned the right to call itself a synagogue. By that I mean that you can't just put a kippah on every guy's head and sing Jewish music and say "This makes us a Judaism." You know what I mean?

If I still lived in that area today, I would attend Church still, but I would go to this synagogue.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are some sttistics
1. Around 14-15 million jews in the world
2. 6-7 million in israel
2. 6-7 million in US

-- around 20,000 messianic jews in Israel
---around 200,000 messianic jews in America
-- around 450 jewish led congregations in the world

90% of this growth has been in the last 50 years..
Marked by the retaking of Jerusalem in 1967

Side note: Christopher Columbus was most likely Jewish Believer in Christ

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Here are some sttistics
1. Around 14-15 million jews in the world
2. 6-7 million in israel
2. 6-7 million in US

-- around 20,000 messianic jews in Israel
---around 200,000 messianic jews in America
-- around 450 jewish led congregations in the world

90% of this growth has been in the last 50 years..

very cool numbers!!! I am interested in your source for the 90% growth being in the last 50 years. It would be good to have on hand.

It's a shame the MJ numbers are so pathetically small. It's perhaps a good argument that we are not in the last days.

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here are some statistics
1. Around 14-15 million Jews in the world
2. 6-7 million in Israel
2. 6-7 million in the US

-- around 20,000 Messianic Jews in Israel
---around 200,000 Messianic Jews in America
-- around 450 Jewish-led congregations in the world

90% of this growth has been in the last 50 years.

I fixed your spelling and grammar for you in your quote. I hope for you to know that these things are important. I would also like to know the source of these statistics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums