Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking of which, another way to break up the “monotony of color” in Ordinary Time is to closely follow the Anglican calendar, and use traditional Western Rite vestment colors whenever a feast occurs on Sunday, or a major feast is proximate to Sunday.

Yes, we try to do some of that. The next one coming up, of course, is All Saints. The rubrics in the Episcopal Church are rather strange on this topic. They tell us that Sundays generally have precedence over all but a few fixed feast days, but yet we can still use the propers (collect, preface, and readings) on the Sunday if we wish. So I guess we can commemorate the feast but not title the day accordingly? I've always found that odd. And, to make it harder, we aren't supposed to transfer any of the fixed feasts to a Sunday if they fall on another day, except for All Saints and a church's patronal feast.

All that said, I don't think the liturgy police are particularly going around conducting surveillance on my church so I feel some freedom to depart from the rubrics when necessary. I have often transferred Ascension Day to a Sunday, for example, since the whole story of Jesus's death, resurrection, and ascension really needs to be told and honored.

I am also intrigued by something which hasn't caught on very strongly around here: the Advent Project (theadventproject.org). They propose reclaiming Advent from the commercialized Christmas season by expanding it from four weeks to seven. Apparently, that is the more ancient practice. It would also more closely parallel Lent that way. In addition (and the reason I'm thinking of it here), it would shorten ordinary time as well.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of which, another way to break up the “monotony of color” in Ordinary Time is to closely follow the Anglican calendar, and use traditional Western Rite vestment colors whenever a feast occurs on Sunday, or a major feast is proximate to Sunday. I would also follow the tradition observed among the Orthodox and Spanish Catholics of using blue on Marian feasts and feasts of angels, for example, Michaelmas. In this manner, ordinary time as a period of solid green-ness can be eliminated.

My understanding was that one might celebrate a Feast which is of local significance, say William Carey, or perhaps St Frideswide, on the day, or on a Sunday within the Octave, which suggests either of the eve or in the week following the Sunday.

There are several approaches to green which is ordinary time, to reduce boredom. There is a plethora of Green colours available to use, deep forest greens, limey greens, bronze greens, teal greens and middle greens. The problem with forcing the other liturgical colours into the green season is that they loose their significance for the major feasts.

One practice that seems to have developed in Australia (and perhaps elsewhere) is to celebrate the four Sundays before the Feast of St Francis of Assisi as a 'Season of Creation' https://seasonofcreation.com/ which seems to allow a freefall in creation to celebrate the season. There is a risk that this can be seen by some as politicising the liturgical year, however we should see it as part of our message as custodians of the gift of creation in our generation, and re-claim it for faith rather than let it swim off in the tide of green political movements. (I am sure that is badly expressed however I hope you get what I am saying). This does break up the green season.

This may of course be a matter of clerical boredom rather than boredom on the part of the congregation, most of who attend, not for the colour, nor for the spectacle, nor for the Church, but are drawn there by God in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My understanding was that one might celebrate a Feast which is of local significance, say William Carey, or perhaps St Frideswide, on the day, or on a Sunday within the Octave, which suggests either of the eve or in the week following the Sunday.

There are several approaches to green which is ordinary time, to reduce boredom. There is a plethora of Green colours available to use, deep forest greens, limey greens, bronze greens, teal greens and middle greens. The problem with forcing the other liturgical colours into the green season is that they loose their significance for the major feasts.

One practice that seems to have developed in Australia (and perhaps elsewhere) is to celebrate the four Sundays before the Feast of St Francis of Assisi as a 'Season of Creation' https://seasonofcreation.com/ which seems to allow a freefall in creation to celebrate the season. There is a risk that this can be seen by some as politicising the liturgical year, however we should see it as part of our message as custodians of the gift of creation in our generation, and re-claim it for faith rather than let it swim off in the tide of green political movements. (I am sure that is badly expressed however I hope you get what I am saying). This does break up the green season.

I think I get what you are saying, and I do find myself liking that concept. It is evocative of the sadly disused liturgical season of Kingdomtide in the Methodist Episcopal Church and others, which was themed after the Feast of Christ the King and centered around the implementation of Christian ideals in the world.

This may of course be a matter of clerical boredom rather than boredom on the part of the congregation, most of who attend, not for the colour, nor for the spectacle, nor for the Church, but are drawn there by God in Christ Jesus.

Well, strictly speaking, if, as @Deegie says, you are going to use the collect and lessons for a feast that coincides with Sunday, it would be proper if it is a feast or commemoration of a martyr or apostle, or Reformation Sunday, if observed, to use red, if it is a feast of our Lord, namely Transfiguration or Epiphany, to use white (also on All Saints Day) and if it is a Marian feast or Michaelmas or a feast of the bodiless powers, to use blue. It would only be appropriate to stick with green if you were going to use the propers for a Sunday in ordinary time and ignore the feast coinciding with that Sunday.

Yes, we try to do some of that. The next one coming up, of course, is All Saints. The rubrics in the Episcopal Church are rather strange on this topic. They tell us that Sundays generally have precedence over all but a few fixed feast days, but yet we can still use the propers (collect, preface, and readings) on the Sunday if we wish. So I guess we can commemorate the feast but not title the day accordingly? I've always found that odd. And, to make it harder, we aren't supposed to transfer any of the fixed feasts to a Sunday if they fall on another day, except for All Saints and a church's patronal feast.

All that said, I don't think the liturgy police are particularly going around conducting surveillance on my church so I feel some freedom to depart from the rubrics when necessary. I have often transferred Ascension Day to a Sunday, for example, since the whole story of Jesus's death, resurrection, and ascension really needs to be told and honored.

This seems to me a good idea. Because of the status of my two congregations as missions, nearly all Holy Days except Christmas, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are translated, which is one blessing of Congregationalism - liturgical flexibility. But it also seems a blessing of some Anglican jurisdictions like the Episcopal Church, where you have a small number of parishes using the 1928 BCP, which strictly speaking they aren’t supposed to, but I suppose if the bishop complained, they could just point to the example of St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San Francisco, whose eclectic liturgy bears virtually no resemblance to the BCP (its possible their Holy Communion service is using “Rite III” as it is nicknamed as a basis, but that Order according to the rubrics is not supposed to be used on Sundays for the principle Eucharistic liturgy; I do support Rite III however as it has allowed Episcopal parishes to experimentally use beautiful liturgies they otherwise would not have access to; on youtube there is a video of an Episcopal Parish using the Divine Liturgy of St. Chrysostom, which was beautifully done, except their Deacon could not chant or sing well at all, in which case it would have been canonical to have the priest, who did have a good voice, intone the litanies, and have the deacon read the Gospel; I expect the people would be unused to hearing the Gospel sung as is standard in Eastern Orthodox churches, so that would have worked better. There is also a Society for Eastern Rite Anglicanism, which I support),

I am also intrigued by something which hasn't caught on very strongly around here: the Advent Project (theadventproject.org). They propose reclaiming Advent from the commercialized Christmas season by expanding it from four weeks to seven. Apparently, that is the more ancient practice. It would also more closely parallel Lent that way. In addition (and the reason I'm thinking of it here), it would shorten ordinary time as well.[/QUOTE]

So, on this point, historically, the Roman and East Syriac Rites have four Sundays in Advent, whereas the ancient Gallican Rite, and its surviving derivatives the Mozarabic and Ambrosian Rites, have six Sundays in Advent, whereas in the Coptic Rite, the Nativity Feast lasts for 43 days; in the Byzantine Rite, it starts on November 15th, the day after the Feast of St. Philip (so it is also known as St. Philip’s Fast) and lasts until December 24th, so in those rites the number of Sundays is variable. The actual fast in the Syriac Orthodox calendar for Advent is very brief, but I believe the length of the season is longer; fatigue compels me to avoid looking up the length of the Armenian and Ethiopian Nativity Fasts.

I myself would enthusiastically support introducing the Ambrosian or Mozarabic Rite wholesale; the Gallican liturgies are exquisite in a way the Roman Rite is not, containing the richer hymondy and chant traditions one expects from the Eastern churches (this goes back to St. Ambrose of Milan, who had his congregation, when they were forced to lock themselves into a basillica to prevent the Arians from taking it over in 386, sing antiphonal hymns “in the style of the Greeks, lest they perish with soulless monotony.”) Indeed there is some reason to believe the ancient Roman Rite used monotone chant up until the Ambrosian Hymnal introduced the oldest set of hymns into both the Ambrosian and Roman Rites, and these were added to, and then Pope St. Gregory the Dialogist, as he is known to the Eastern Orthodox, or St. Gregory the Great, as he is known in the west, introduced Gregorian chant, which has eight modes, like Byzantine and West Syriac chant. However, the Low Mass continued to be chanted in monotone until the 10th century, when priests were then permitted to say it in a low voice or silently; France developed the unique custom of accompanying the Low Mass with organ music. The Low Mass seems to me the inspiration for the Anglican said service, and one thing I am particularly unhappy about is that a large number of Episcopalian churches have not yet resumed their Said Holy Communion services on Sunday morning, which I tend to prefer except in churches with a really excellent music program.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Regarding colours; major feasts and festivals take priority. We never "translate" minor festivals or commemorations. A busy couple weeks coming up... I just finished changing from Green to White for a Funeral this thursday; back to green for this coming Sunday; Red on the 31th for Reformation Day; then back to White forAll Saints, normally the 1st is translated to the 7th. (These dates are universal in our synod, so we observe the same days in common). Then back to green until the Sunday of the Fulfillment (Christ the King), which is white, and then to blue for Advent. First Sunday after Christmas is the 26th, St. Stephan's Day. Tonight we we plan for the new Church year, and will decide if it will be red or remain White.

Normally, we have some commemorations that fall on Sundays during the "long green season" that allow for a bit of colour variation, but this year was a bit dry, other than the Feast of St. Mary, Mother of our Lord.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Regarding colours; major feasts and festivals take priority. We never "translate" minor festivals or commemorations. A busy couple weeks coming up... I just finished changing from Green to White for a Funeral this thursday; back to green for this coming Sunday; Red on the 31th for Reformation Day; then back to White forAll Saints, normally the 1st is translated to the 7th. (These dates are universal in our synod, so we observe the same days in common). Then back to green until the Sunday of the Fulfillment (Christ the King), which is white, and then to blue for Advent. First Sunday after Christmas is the 26th, St. Stephan's Day. Tonight we we plan for the new Church year, and will decide if it will be red or remain White.

Normally, we have some commemorations that fall on Sundays during the "long green season" that allow for a bit of colour variation, but this year was a bit dry, other than the Feast of St. Mary, Mother of our Lord.

I have to confess, I really like black vestments, but not for funerals, rather, for weekdays in Lent, Holy Week and Good Friday. The Eastern Orthodox practice is to use white vestments in funerals, and that seems to have percolated into the west; in the 19th century black vestments were introduced into the Russian Orthodox Church for funerary use following the death of a Czar, and were popular in that era, but since that time, that use has gone away. I would have to look in the Typikon whether “light” or “dark” (typically gold and crimson or burgundy) vestments are specified for funerals, because that is all the detail provided.

One unusual practice is the General Funeral held in the afternoon of Palm Sunday in the Coptic Orthodox Church for anyone who dies during Holy Week or Bright Week, during which time funerals are canonically disallowed. I know of no other liturgical rite that does that, and while I have spent many hours in Coptic churches, I haven’t attended that liturgy, because I fear it could be distressing for someone not acculturated to Coptic traditions, especially if there were any people with serious or terminal illness in the parish with a probability of not making it past the two week period. On the other hand, a friend of mine with terminal brain cancer was fine one day and died the next, so in cases like that, where a terminal patient is not hospitalized, the possibility exists of attending your own funeral, which would seem normal to Coptic Christians but very strange for Christians in the Western, Syriac, Armenian and Byzantine Rites.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have to confess, I really like black vestments, but not for funerals, rather, for weekdays in Lent, Holy Week and Good Friday. The Eastern Orthodox practice is to use white vestments in funerals, and that seems to have percolated into the west; in the 19th century black vestments were introduced into the Russian Orthodox Church for funerary use following the death of a Czar, and were popular in that era, but since that time, that use has gone away. I would have to look in the Typikon whether “light” or “dark” (typically gold and crimson or burgundy) vestments are specified for funerals, because that is all the detail provided.

One unusual practice is the General Funeral held in the afternoon of Palm Sunday in the Coptic Orthodox Church for anyone who dies during Holy Week or Bright Week, during which time funerals are canonically disallowed. I know of no other liturgical rite that does that, and while I have spent many hours in Coptic churches, I haven’t attended that liturgy, because I fear it could be distressing for someone not acculturated to Coptic traditions, especially if there were any people with serious or terminal illness in the parish with a probability of not making it past the two week period. On the other hand, a friend of mine with terminal brain cancer was fine one day and died the next, so in cases like that, where a terminal patient is not hospitalized, the possibility exists of attending your own funeral, which would seem normal to Coptic Christians but very strange for Christians in the Western, Syriac, Armenian and Byzantine Rites.
Our rubrics give us three choices for Funerals; White, Purple or the Colour of the Day (we only have a white Pall so white it is. It is over 50 years since I can remember black being used for a funeral. Current usage is restricted to Ash Wed. and Good Friday. This is what Lent/Easter is looking like in 2022; you will note the colours in the left column:

upload_2021-10-20_9-29-36.png
upload_2021-10-20_9-31-35.png

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is very rare, here, to use a pall. Every church I've worked in has had one, tucked away in a drawer, but to the best of my recollection I have never actually seen one used. They seem to have gone out of fashion. The closest I've seen was one family who used a piece of fabric in their mother's favourite colour to partially drape her coffin.

• Informative
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It is very rare, here, to use a pall. Every church I've worked in has had one, tucked away in a drawer, but to the best of my recollection I have never actually seen one used. They seem to have gone out of fashion. The closest I've seen was one family who used a piece of fabric in their mother's favourite colour to partially drape her coffin.

I don’t think the Orthodox churches use them either.

By the way, Orthodox clergy are buried fully vested and during their funeral, their head faces the liturgical altar, whereas laity are buried in dignified clothing and their head faces away from the altar. Syriac Orthodox bishops are actually buried sitting up right on their episcopal thrones, or cathedras, and then usually entombed behind the altar of cathedral churches. The first bishop of the Syriac Orthodox Diocese of the West sought special exemption from the planning commission of the City of Burbank to be buried behind the altar at St. Ephrem’s Cathedral, which I have visited many times, but I have no idea if such permission was granted.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Our rubrics give us three choices for Funerals; White, Purple or the Colour of the Day (we only have a white Pall so white it is. It is over 50 years since I can remember black being used for a funeral. Current usage is restricted to Ash Wed. and Good Friday. This is what Lent/Easter is looking like in 2022; you will note the colours in the left column:

View attachment 307450
View attachment 307451

This is on the whole a nice color scheme. I think the only changes I would desire, except the rubrics doubtless preclude them, would be black vestments during the midweek vespers in Advent, dark vestments during the Tenebrae service on Maundy Thursday if you do that, and blue vestments on the Feast of the Annunciation. And I really like the Byzantine practice of using green on Palm Sunday; I get red on Pentecost, but green on Palm Sunday seems so natural, because of the palms.

Out of curiosity, why is the Transfiguration not celebrated on August the 6th? Low attendance?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It has become common to celebrate the transfiguration on the last Sunday before Ash Wednesday (and I must admit, I think I prefer it there; it makes sense as a kind of turning point; after the transfiguration Jesus sets his face towards Jerusalem and his death, and through Lent, so do we).

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It has become common to celebrate the transfiguration on the last Sunday before Ash Wednesday (and I must admit, I think I prefer it there; it makes sense as a kind of turning point; after the transfiguration Jesus sets his face towards Jerusalem and his death, and through Lent, so do we).

But that has the unpleasant effect of derailing Quinquagesima and the Pre-Lenten cycle. I don’t think I can get on board with that change even if it theoretically makes sense from a calendar perspective; I would also note that the Lenten fast was historically intended to commemorate the 40 day fast of our Lord after His baptism and was only later in the first millennium attached to Easter and the Holy Week, and this doubtless in turn gave us Advent, where some churches, following the similar logic of moving Transfiguration, move the feast of the Annunciation, although a few have celebrated it there since antiquity. I guess I am really conservative when it comes to liturgical changes given that my favorite hymns are the Evangelical Canticles from Luke, Te Deum Laudamus, the Trisagion, Ho Monogenes and the Syriac communion hymn, technically a metrical homily, Haw Nurone, all of which date from before the sixth century, predating such great composers as St. Romanos the Melodist and Andrew of Crete.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think the Orthodox churches use them either.

By the way, Orthodox clergy are buried fully vested and during their funeral, their head faces the liturgical altar, whereas laity are buried in dignified clothing and their head faces away from the altar. Syriac Orthodox bishops are actually buried sitting up right on their episcopal thrones, or cathedras, and then usually entombed behind the altar of cathedral churches. The first bishop of the Syriac Orthodox Diocese of the West sought special exemption from the planning commission of the City of Burbank to be buried behind the altar at St. Ephrem’s Cathedral, which I have visited many times, but I have no idea if such permission was granted.

Holy Cross seminary bishops tombs

245957676_10166129883245554_4165962033940189391_n.jpg

• Winner
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But that has the unpleasant effect of derailing Quinquagesima and the Pre-Lenten cycle.

I have to admit, that really doesn't bother me at all. I guess because I think of it as just a stretch of ordinary time, about which we can be reasonably flexible.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Holy Cross seminary bishops tombs

245957676_10166129883245554_4165962033940189391_n.jpg

Now that is a beautiful liturgy. Is that a 40 day pannikhida for the reposed bishop? I always love the way the epigonations and the Omophorioms (the diamond shaped shields, which are given to priests authorized to hear confessions, and bishops, and the large episcopal stole) look together.

I don’t have a problem with Byzantine Rite Catholicism; I am glad it exists, but I find myself perennially disappointed that so many of Ukrainian Catholic and Ruthenian Catholic bishops wear the Pallium instead of the Omophorion - it just doesn’t look right to me, and it seems contrary to the Vatican II initiative of de-Latinization.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Very common, almost universal in Canadian Anglican and Catholic Churches, fairly common in Lutheran, but not universal.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is on the whole a nice color scheme. I think the only changes I would desire, except the rubrics doubtless preclude them, would be black vestments during the midweek vespers in Advent, dark vestments during the Tenebrae service on Maundy Thursday if you do that, and blue vestments on the Feast of the Annunciation. And I really like the Byzantine practice of using green on Palm Sunday; I get red on Pentecost, but green on Palm Sunday seems so natural, because of the palms.

Out of curiosity, why is the Transfiguration not celebrated on August the 6th? Low attendance?

Yes, since we are using the 3 year common Lectionairy; in the traditional one year Lectionairy, it remains on August 6th. Pastor and I both desire the one year (We are free to do so, as both are included in LSB), however our organist and her husband (also an elder has resisted it so far... too much Bach maybe... if there is such a thing. LOL).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Cassock, Surplice and Stole appropriate to the appointed colour for Pastor, Cassock and Surplice or Cotta for assistants for services without Communion; Matins, Vespers, Compline, Anti-Communion etc.

Cassock and Stole only is not uncommon for Advent and Lent Vespers. It depends on Local usage and ethnic tradition. A couple of our Clergy from Europe wear black gowns and ruff collar.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But that has the unpleasant effect of derailing Quinquagesima and the Pre-Lenten cycle. I don’t think I can get on board with that change even if it theoretically makes sense from a calendar perspective; I would also note that the Lenten fast was historically intended to commemorate the 40 day fast of our Lord after His baptism and was only later in the first millennium attached to Easter and the Holy Week, and this doubtless in turn gave us Advent, where some churches, following the similar logic of moving Transfiguration, move the feast of the Annunciation, although a few have celebrated it there since antiquity. I guess I am really conservative when it comes to liturgical changes given that my favorite hymns are the Evangelical Canticles from Luke, Te Deum Laudamus, the Trisagion, Ho Monogenes and the Syriac communion hymn, technically a metrical homily, Haw Nurone, all of which date from before the sixth century, predating such great composers as St. Romanos the Melodist and Andrew of Crete.
Which is why Pastor and I would like to return to the one year. However, in a Congregationalist structure, in a Synod where both are allowed, it is presently not an option in our Parish.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now that is a beautiful liturgy. Is that a 40 day pannikhida for the reposed bishop? I always love the way the epigonations and the Omophorioms (the diamond shaped shields, which are given to priests authorized to hear confessions, and bishops, and the large episcopal stole) look together.

This was posted by a friend of mine for +Gerasimos who passed 1995. There are three (?) bishops buried at Holy Cross, +Gerasimos, +Iakovos, cant remember the third. As I vaguely recall they have room for a total of seven gravesites behind the chapel.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
This was posted by a friend of mine for +Gerasimos who passed 1995. There are three (?) bishops buried at Holy Cross, +Gerasimos, +Iakovos, cant remember the third. As I vaguely recall they have room for a total of seven gravesites behind the chapel.

Presumably when they run out they will follow the Athonite tradition of exhuming the first one to be buried and examining his relics, and placing them in an ossuary?

One striking thing about Orthodox relics is how incorrupt even the bones of the saints tend to look.

Upvote 0