Listening only to christian music?

Daughter of Ararat

Yeshua's Rose of Hayastan
May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
If I only had two kinds of radio stations to listen to (CCM and Christian rock with the occasional slightly rap [a la Toby Mac, nothin' on Church Boy music artists]) in the car, I would die of bordom as far as music goes. I listened to classical, hiphop, pop, oldies, and soft rock today driving to/from work and the library. NO CHRISTIAN STATION NEAR ME BEGINS TO TOUCH ON THE MUSICAL VARIETY, DIVERSITY, CREATIVITY THAT WE WERE CREATED WITH THE CAPACITY TO USE AS AN EXPRESSION OF GOD'S OWN CREATIVITY AS THE MASTER COMPOSER WHOSE WORK IS DISPLAYED IN NATURE'S OWN SOUNDS. God help me if I had to narrow myself that much. I will probably die having never hear Lil' Dre (real hiphop) or Messianic (Jews, like Blacks, know rhythm), Christian Native American music (I learned that existed in my freshman year of college) or Orthodox hymns (good bye Pavarati, hello cantor) on the radio. Do the EVEN know what they are missing out on by subjecting me to too much Chris Tomlinesque music when there is so much available???

How do you even define Christian music? Bands that are Christian, by Christian record lable/marketing, explicitly Christian lyrics, music played that has been elsewhere put to Christian lyrics, music that reflects Christian themes (*explicit or implicit), or ability to worship with the song even though the lyrics and even label or perhaps artist are not Christian...

If I ever said that I would only listen to Christian music, I think I would run the risk of being too legalistic, and combined with the above comments, I would be slightly resentful of that which is supposed to be of God. I will be honest. I don't want to always be worshiping and saying how great God is or how thankful I am for something that happened 2000 years ago. I will say that when I do say that, I want to mean it and not resent the how of it: I owe God that much. Probably 90% of what I listen to right now is secular. I like weird lyrics, things that explore unusual concepts, take simple things and make something big of them, or allow me to express in lyrics things I would not likely say. I like songs that reflect how I feel, however I feel. I like having theme songs for moments/seasons of life that most Christian music can't quite express. I love satires and parodies and funny songs that go beyond saying that "they don't serve breakfast in hell." Cute yes, but I have heard so many more funny songs. I even wrote a parody one about math.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everything, with an overwhelming majority of it 'secular'. No, I do not see it as spiritually tied.

Look for edification in hymns; trying to derive it from other avenues is either going to set you up for a major letdown or fall into this pseudo-Gnostic idea that anything calling itself Christian and couched with a million culture-trendy buzzwords is holy and 'secular' = dirty, anti-Christian filth. The previous being a viewpoint I've seen repeatedly used in various segments, made even worse by the fact that the ones making the claim don't make any bones about the fact they equate all secular music with the Top 40 and MTV rounds, which is an even bigger logical fallacy.

What's even worse is that those who buy into that notion will look at you as if you just committed grave sacrilege if you express that you don't like CCM, because in their mind all Christians are automatically obliged to like and not criticize anything that calls itself Christian. It certainly explains why the Modern Church is the drone factory it is (as expressed so well by Steve Taylor way back in 1983), but it's so woefully wrong from a Scriptural standpoint that I just don't know where to begin.

To be honest, I find the obsession some groups have with this topic to be more damaging than anything you would supposedly fall prey to from not listening to cookie-cutter CCM. We were exposed to the popular Christian music industry artists in small doses while growing up, and I couldn't imagine trying to listen to only whispy pop music day in and day out. I'd go insane. My cousin would listen to the edgier rock or metal, and at that point in time I just wasn't too interested in that (add to that that I still can't stand listening to metalcore or death metal outside of a rare handful of tracks - and unfortunately between that and bland hard alt.rock copies of Nickelback or Three Days Grace you don't see much in the way of variety in the 'Christian Rock' category). The only real exception was Newsboys, but really only on the albums that Steve Taylor produced - not as edgy and critical as his own material (some of which Christian bookstores refused to stock because of controversy), but still leagues better than generic P&W.

To not make this completely inflammatory-sounding, the largest amount of Christian music I listen to is under the Goth, Industrial, and Synthpop headings. None of which I was aware of until years after it had its heyday in the 90s, although a few bands are still around and making music. The major difference is that the mainstream CCM industry found those groups way too hard to court - a small handful did get signed to major labels, win a couple Dove awards circa 1992/1993, but after two or three years their tendency to bite the industry's and Modern Church culture's hands made them get dropped like a sack of potatoes, resulting in the scene remaining underground since around 1996 or 1997. A few of them (like Dead Artist Syndrome, or possibly The Awakening) are mainstays at Cornerstone, though.

Reactions: Wren
Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Qyöt27;58657155 said:
Everything, with an overwhelming majority of it 'secular'. No, I do not see it as spiritually tied.

Look for edification in hymns; trying to derive it from other avenues is either going to set you up for a major letdown or fall into this pseudo-Gnostic idea that anything calling itself Christian and couched with a million culture-trendy buzzwords is holy and 'secular' = dirty, anti-Christian filth. The previous being a viewpoint I've seen repeatedly used in various segments, made even worse by the fact that the ones making the claim don't make any bones about the fact they equate all secular music with the Top 40 and MTV rounds, which is an even bigger logical fallacy.

What's even worse is that those who buy into that notion will look at you as if you just committed grave sacrilege if you express that you don't like CCM, because in their mind all Christians are automatically obliged to like and not criticize anything that calls itself Christian. It certainly explains why the Modern Church is the drone factory it is (as expressed so well by Steve Taylor way back in 1983), but it's so woefully wrong from a Scriptural standpoint that I just don't know where to begin.

To be honest, I find the obsession some groups have with this topic to be more damaging than anything you would supposedly fall prey to from not listening to cookie-cutter CCM. We were exposed to the popular Christian music industry artists in small doses while growing up, and I couldn't imagine trying to listen to only whispy pop music day in and day out. I'd go insane. My cousin would listen to the edgier rock or metal, and at that point in time I just wasn't too interested in that (add to that that I still can't stand listening to metalcore or death metal outside of a rare handful of tracks - and unfortunately between that and bland hard alt.rock copies of Nickelback or Three Days Grace you don't see much in the way of variety in the 'Christian Rock' category). The only real exception was Newsboys, but really only on the albums that Steve Taylor produced - not as edgy and critical as his own material (some of which Christian bookstores refused to stock because of controversy), but still leagues better than generic P&W.

To not make this completely inflammatory-sounding, the largest amount of Christian music I listen to is under the Goth, Industrial, and Synthpop headings. None of which I was aware of until years after it had its heyday in the 90s, although a few bands are still around and making music. The major difference is that the mainstream CCM industry found those groups way too hard to court - a small handful did get signed to major labels, win a couple Dove awards circa 1992/1993, but after two or three years their tendency to bite the industry's and Modern Church culture's hands made them get dropped like a sack of potatoes, resulting in the scene remaining underground since around 1996 or 1997. A few of them (like Dead Artist Syndrome, or possibly The Awakening) are mainstays at Cornerstone, though.

I approve of what you just said. :)

thismessagewas128654743684773409.jpg

Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Not only christian for me, but I try to be very aware of the lyrics I listen to, especially because listening to and worshiping through music is one of the big things which helps me become closer to God. Which means 99% of what I listen to is christian. I don't like listening to a band just because they're 'christian,' but because I see the lyrics glorify God... I listen to anything from worship to death metal.. yes, christian death metal exists lol

Here's something my study bible says about music; I like what it says. (i wrote this in a different post, that's why it's quoted)
The fact that lyrics matter does not mean we can only stick to saying the basic Gospel message (that I have heard 1000's of times), thanking God for being there, and saying that God is great. There is so much room for creativity that is untapped. I only hear a couple of songs that deal with certain events/situations/experiences in life and a lot of Christian music on the radio does not reflect the emotions that are sometimes faced in life-this is something that I value having in music because lyrics to me give voice to my emotions and experiences. Sara Bareilles' King of Anything is to me a statement that I'm not going to let other people run my life, and her Love Song is about love and respect in a way that I honestly don't disagree with. Here is a song that reflects something I would like to see more. I think any Christian would appreciate it: (Disclaimer, angle reference it not exactly to be taken literally.)

Sixx A.M. -Skin (Lyrics) - YouTube

That song Blessings by Laura Story was also awesome and one of the most humbling things I have heard in a long time. I also like imagery and symbolism that is sometimes found in older songs that I can't hear unless I spent money I didn't have on CDs that were hard to find.

This is actually a really cool song that expresses things that a Christian could say but it is by a Muslim-great background music.

Sami Yusuf - Wherever You Are - with lyrics / سامى يوسف - أينما تكون - YouTube

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Qyöt27;58657155 said:
Look for edification in hymns; trying to derive it from other avenues is either going to set you up for a major letdown or fall into this pseudo-Gnostic idea...
I should expand on this a little bit.

It's not that you can't find inspiration in non-hymns or secular music, or that you shouldn't find it there. I'm just saying don't go into it expecting to find it there, as well as not going into it expecting to find denigrating lyrics. Both sides are too extreme. If you find bad lyrics, avoid them. If you find inspiring ones, great. Just don't make it a passion to actively seek out spiritual inspiration there because you'll tire yourself out and get disillusioned. The same could also be said for sifting through the tares of CCM to find the wheat there, too.

Upvote 0

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The fact that lyrics matter does not mean we can only stick to saying the basic Gospel message (that I have heard 1000's of times)

I agree with that :)

In fact... i don't really like the christian radio station near me because the stuff they play only says "praise Jesus all day long, God is great." not like that's wrong, I listen to lots of music with that.. but it seems too 1-sided to me.

and i don't think you have to listen to only 'christian' music

Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
I agree with that :)

In fact... i don't really like the christian radio station near me because the stuff they play only says "praise Jesus all day long, God is great." not like that's wrong, I listen to lots of music with that.. but it seems too 1-sided to me.

and i don't think you have to listen to only 'christian' music
I know! It is one sided. I figured you were too smart to say you should only listen to "Christian" music. I just feel very strongly about this issue. I actually liked what you said about Psalms. People then could at least write with some measure of depth...

Upvote 0

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know! It is one sided. I figured you were too smart to say you should only listen to "Christian" music. I just feel very strongly about this issue. I actually liked what you said about Psalms. People then could at least write with some measure of depth...

lol, i'm not trying to be smart or crafy with my words

and I like that song, Skin. Life is Beautiful is my favorite song by Sixx A.M.

And I see what you mean about Wherever You Are by Sami Yusef

here's a song I like.. i don't know if you will:p but i find the lyrics more convicting than the typical worship song..
Song For My Family - YouTube

Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
lol, i'm not trying to be smart or crafy with my words

and I like that song, Skin. Life is Beautiful is my favorite song by Sixx A.M.

And I see what you mean about Wherever You Are by Sami Yusef

here's a song I like.. i don't know if you will:p but i find the lyrics more convicting than the typical worship song..
Song For My Family - YouTube
Perhaps I should have said you seem possessing of common sense instead of smart?

That is a lovely song. Great lyrics. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Mela Monkey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daughter of Ararat

May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Qyöt27;58657155 said:
A few of them (like Dead Artist Syndrome, or possibly The Awakening) are mainstays at Cornerstone, though.
Which band called The Awakening are you referring to? The one with Ashton Nyte?

Can you recommend me another band?

Great post, btw.

Upvote 0
E

elenore

Garbage in = garbage out seems to be a pretty safe rule to follow in this area, I've discovered.
But that being said - I've also discovered that if you follow the holy spirits lead, you can do a lot of things that don't seem to make sense in the natural, because he shows you how (or the way out if you like.)
Jesus partied with prostitutes and tax collectors, and over time I've discovered the way to listen and just go with what God says, and not worry about hanging on the rails of the skating rink if you like, to keep myself safe.

There's compromise (which is just compromise, no matter which way you look at it) and wisdom. God is wisdom, so as long as he's guiding you it's ok.

(took me years to learn that :) )

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Blind post:

I don't usually listen to Christain music. The bulk of the music I listen to is considered secular. Most of the new Christian music that is out right now isn't that good , in my opinion. There are some Christian bands that I like but not much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reborn_in_Christ2003

May 10, 2004
Whiteman AFB
✟8,911.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I listen to a variety of music which does include CCM. However, I find that I can't limit myself because not only is it hard to define Christian music when it comes to bands like Flyleaf, and Switchfoot, but many secular bands put out music I like. Not to mention some of them put out good songs that speak to me in a variety of ways, and aren't bad. They just aren't by a Christian band. Here is a quote by Flyleaf that explains their position. Not only that, but bands like Skillet have been touring with secular bands because they feel that is where God has called them, and their ministry. It has not detracted from their music, but has opened up many new people to "Christian Rock". Also during the tours Papa Roach, and other bands have talked about how inspiring Skillet (or other bands as the case is) can be, and how much they respect the band and their views.

How did that work with you being in a Christian rock band?
Well, you know what? I don’t know what you mean by a “Christian rock band.” It’s hard to say that because people all have a different definition of what that means. If it means that we’re Christians, then yeah, we’re Christians, but if a plumber’s a Christian, does that make him a “Christian plumber?” I mean we’re not playing for Christians. We’re just playing honestly and that’s going to come out.

I'll listen to it provided it's good, I don't care who it's written by or what it's written about. The most christian music I've listened to would probably be when I sung in the church choir, and after that Disturbed.

However my musical tastes range from Bach, Tchaikovsky, to Miles Davis, to Dubstep and other EDM, all the way through to Parkway Drive, Mastadon and Dethklok.

Do Lamb of God count as christian?

Neither of those are close to Christian.

Upvote 0

penNpaper

Keep on moving
Nov 14, 2006
Youngstown
✟33,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's up to you and what your convictions are. Pretty much everything I listen to would be labeled as "secular" but that doesn't make it bad. U2 is my favorite band and they have several Christian members and Bono sings about his walk with Christ frequently.

It's between you and God. I like a little of everything but if someone only listens to Christian music then that's cool and I'll support them in that.:)

^This

I listened to some Religious music like Jaime Jamgochian (dreamday a little...) and when I was younger I was into CARMAN like Mission 3:16 and R.I.O.T. I like country like Shania Twain and Taylor Swift. Crystal got me hooked on Paramore. I am a big 80's music freak - Devo Whip It - will listen to all 80's here and there when the mood hits me. When I'm having a crush, in love, breakup, sad I shall listen to all mushy love songs (don't judge you do it too :p )

My father is a big music dude so I like all various of music. I like BGM, instrumental, anime, video game soundtracks, television soundtracks, and ect. If it has a good beat - I'll listen to it LOL

God Bless,
Drew

Upvote 0

Starnchrist

Queen_E Formerly Soldier <3
Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That is great! I love all your responses. I also respect what you guys do. :) Everyone has a way to cope with their life. In my own personal life. I believe in the holyspirit and I have listened to secular music before, but I choose to soley listen to Christian music or music that focus's only on God because...I felt convicted. I remember I was listening to Kellys Clarks Behind these hazel Eyes and I fell in love with the song for some reason! thinking about it makes me wanna go back to it, but then I started to think about it. As a single christian how does that song help me? It didn't I just loved the music aspect of it, but the theme and what the song was about had nothing to do with me because I was single and I wasn't going through anything that crazy at that time. But the concept was cool to me, but then again... as a believer I also believe that before I take a step to the altar I pray so I won't have to cry later. I hope this made any sense to anyone. LOL well if you heard the Song behind these hazel eyes. Then....there was a song that I would never have been so into. I loved "Jesus Take the wheel" I'm from NYC...I'm not a country music type of girl, plus being spanish gives me a bit of that salsa edge that can be hard to find in christian music, but no mark anthony for me no mam' But I fell in love what "Jesus take the wheel" Because to me it was a great message of surrendering our lives to God. I loved it. To me It's about how my soul is edified. It effects me personally. It doesn't mean it effects everyone else. Just for me. I like Jeremy Camp, Toby Mac (Is awesome!) Switchfoot, Kutless (One or two songs from them) FEE(Only one song I like "Everything Falls apart") For me Christian means the lyrics is soley meant to be FOR God or to Edify us to look for God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0