South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a whole lot of makeup that I experiment with ever so often. As you will soon know from a previous post, I am 42 years old. Is a 42 year old like myself too old to be goth, punk, or emo? I would think that there isn't as much a big age range for goth, but there may be one for punk and especially emo. I would associate all three of them as different cultures or a mix of cultures and lifestyles, including ways of expression, dress, and music. That is what it looks like at least.

Anyways, would I be too old to explore these areas? Also, since I am a Christian as well, is exploration into goth, punk, or emo sinful? In other words, is there more or less an appeal to the flesh? Should I look into these things more? I find such alternative lifestyles and forms of music interesting and I wonder if a Christian can explore these alternatives.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The fact that you are asking shows that you don't know enough about these genres and "styles" to associate yourself with them. People will view you as they view the general stereotypes. If you don't fit, then you are going to look silly and disingenuous.

My oldest son had a goth phase. Now he is more emo. Being "goth" was just his attempt to fit in. Now that he understands there is a difference, he is more himself, and sees that who he really is fits in with emos more than goth.

To me it sounds like you just like the appearance, or style, of those groups, without really understanding what they are about or why they associate with the others in their social groups.

Considering your other post in this section, I think that you are just grasping for something that will cause you to hang on to your youth, or reclaim it. There is nothing wrong with being the age you are. 40-something is not old. What you need to grasp is the value of being where you are in life.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
JAM, that is quite interesting. I would like to know if I am still young. I don't know if it is about hanging on to youth as it is about learning and self-discovery. I agree that there are differences and I need to learn a lot more, but I have noticed that goth, punk, and emo groups don't like to be confused with one another. Is that true or is it based on conjecture?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I would keep away from anything like the three you mention unless you have some perverse desire to be chronically depressed. The whole lifestyle seems to be oriented to only seeing the dark side of life, which is the opposite of what a Christian should be doing.

I'm just out of my 40s (52), but I couldn't let this go without replying.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As far as music genre goes, both goth and emo are a type of punk. But the cultures, behaviors, and attitudes of the people who affiliate themselves with the groups is different.

Emo as a social group is a little more ambiguous, I believe. For my sons and his friends there is a lot of depression, anxiety, social withdrawal, self-harm and suicidal ideation. They tend to relate to each other a great deal. For some of them it helps them to cope and and get through their struggles to have each other to talk to. But among others it seems to encourage self-destructive behavior. I suppose it is determined by the individuals goals in associating with the others.

Emo is short for emotional. My personal experience with them is that they tend to be very sensitive and feel things more heavily than might be expected. Everything seems to feel personal to them. They seem to have a hard time moving on from their negative emotions. However, I've noticed with my son and his friends that when something is good, it is extremely good. With them it seems like life has two possibilities: wonderful or disastrous.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Being young or old is a matter of perception, relativity. You are older than you used to be, but you are not elderly. Middle-aged is not old. It's in the middle. At this point in life, we should be able to function relatively confidently in our knowledge and wisdom that we have gained through experience, but still have the health and stamina to do many things that the elderly can't physically do. We can enjoy life and have fun. But we should also be responsible and make sensible decisions.

Are you old? No
Are you still like a 20-something year old? You probably don't look it, and you definitely should not act it. Even responsible and hard working 20-somethings aren't as good at decision making as 40-somethings. (generally speaking)

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my view, Goth, Punk, and Emo are subcultures of dress and presentation (music and the arts, too) that tend to focus on the morbid, dark, rebellious, depressed, moody, and / or self-centered aspects of the person. None of the values emphasized or pointed towards by these cultures reflect the the New Testament standards of loving sacrifice, separation from wordliness, cheerfulness, peace, or sobriety of heart and dress.

Why begin to experiment with modes of appearance which don't reflect Christian values?

I have a whole lot of makeup that I experiment with ever so often. As you will soon know from a previous post, I am 42 years old. Is a 42 year old like myself too old to be goth, punk, or emo? I would think that there isn't as much a big age range for goth, but there may be one for punk and especially emo. I would associate all three of them as different cultures or a mix of cultures and lifestyles, including ways of expression, dress, and music. That is what it looks like at least.

Anyways, would I be too old to explore these areas? Also, since I am a Christian as well, is exploration into goth, punk, or emo sinful? In other words, is there more or less an appeal to the flesh? Should I look into these things more? I find such alternative lifestyles and forms of music interesting and I wonder if a Christian can explore these alternatives.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But among others it seems to encourage self-destructive behavior. I suppose it is determined by the individuals goals in associating with the others.

With them it seems like life has two possibilities: wonderful or disastrous.

This is why the bible tells us to be careful what we think on. Where your mind chooses to stay is what influences you.

Philippians 4:8-9
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Romans 12:2
Ephesians 4:22-23

Upvote 0

maiola

Mar 24, 2021
Portsmouth
✟15,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
What are the differences between the three?

First, I have to agree with the fact that punk, emo, and goth SHOULD never be grouped together like that. Even after people tell you, you still throw those words around like they mean nothing.
Second, you are not too old. People years older than you founded the movement and most older punks are well respected. But to just get interested at this age is quite strange. Of course you should live the rest of your life to the fullest but bro what the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] are you doing here.
You seem to know nothing about either of these subcultures. Yes, i said subcultures, not genres of music because there is a lot more than that. and it seems like you haven't even explored the music side of it. Most likely you would not be accepted into any of those communities because of a few reasons. Within the punk community there is a huge movement to push back any right leaning punks, conservitive punks, nazi punks, and police punks. This is not trying to gatekeep, this is trying to stay in line with the punk movement. YOU CANNOT be a punk if you're what the punk movement is trying to fight. Its just simple. Also punks are weary of christian punks, but if you aren't crazy about trying to push your religion or talking about it all the time like half of the people on this forum are, then its not a big deal. Even if you were this person who had no previous values or personality and just wanted to be punk, you couldn't do so. You can't just dress punk. That is mocking the culture and youre a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing poser. simple. The best way to go about it is starting to listen to punk music. No, not blink 182, (of course you can if you want to, but claiming youre a punk from listening to pop punk is a no) but starting with older punk rock and exploring from there: sex pistols, dead kennedys, msifits, black flag, circle jerks, decendents, bad brains, suicidal tendencies, ramones. Boom. Right there half of those songs made by those bands will go against all your moral values. If you looked at the lyrics right then it would be obvious to you that punk isn't just about liberty spikes or whatever. Punk has real meaning and not just "oh look at that angry teenager punk". The last thing that you should ever do is CALL YOURSELF A PUNK. Don't do it. You said at the end of your post that you would call yourself a mix of all of those things. I can't even say how wrong that is. Sure, you might not want to devote yourself to be fully punk and want to have a multisided personality which is always great, but you just made fun of all of those subcultures at once. Everything I explained about punk applies to goth and emo where they have their own little world, its just I don't want to speak for what Im not sure of as much(emo and goth). I hope since this was made 4 years ago you've moved on, or changed the way you approached this.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was a fan of lolita attire in the past. It’s a popular style of Japanese streetwear that emphasizes the Rococo period. The gothic and classic looks were my favorite. But I never donned cross-laden clothes or supported excessive juvenilia. Looking like an overgrown child didn’t resonate. Irrespective of the cool factor.

Many move to ELG (elegant gothic aristocrat) or classic as they age. They’re more restrained. Faith wise, I was forbidden to have GLB’s (Gothic Lolita Bibles) when I returned to God. Primarily due to crossdressing.

There was a popular figure who produced a line of clothes and crossdressed. His pictures didn’t dominate the book. There were only a handful. But the Holy Spirit was firm and forbade it. I suspect my calling to fashion was part of it. Familiarity can desensitize.

Clothing aside, I was never into goth culture. I knew a few in high school and we had a big goth and punk scene in my teens. I saw them in clubs and a local store that carried goods. But I didn’t possess the moodiness or need for difference. And my identity wasn’t interwoven with fashion.

I wore things because I genuinely liked them. Not for connection with subcultures. I never embraced the label. That holds true today. In my experience, they attract certain personalities with strong desires to belong. It goes beyond affinity. Oftentimes the person sees themselves through the narrow confines of the culture and staying within it is important.

I always felt that was too restrictive. I may enjoy something but there’s more to me than that. Being true to myself is important and group think contradicts it. When I encounter someone who makes a concerted effort to align themselves with a group’s philosophy and ingests their message and actions to the point it becomes their own I wonder what’s lacking.

When you dig deeper you frequently find problems in the home life and relationships and the group fills the void. It’s their source for love, acceptance, etc.

~bella

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A few weeks ago, "Smoke on the Water" was on the radio, sigh "the Oldies", and my 14 year old said, "You think this is cool?". Well, duh! One band watching another band's hotel burn to the ground due to an idiot with a flare gun!

"I'm more into deep stuff about life and death, you wouldn't understand that." (ahh... yes, THAT phase)

Just then, "Don't Fear the Reaper" comes on.

"Kid, you ain't got nothin' that we haven't already made." :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is why the bible tells us to be careful what we think on. Where your mind chooses to stay is what influences you.

Philippians 4:8-9
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Romans 12:2
Ephesians 4:22-23

I love this verse and we actually discussed this verse at church today.

Upvote 0