Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
FYI, I've really been looking forward to the Kagra detector (in Japan) coming online, but alas they seem to have a serious flaw in one of the mirrors, and frost problems which will not ultimately be resolved until the 05 run. That's rather disappointing.

One of the unique aspects of Kagra, is that unlike it's LIGO and Virgo counterparts, it's located *under* the surface of the Earth, providing much better shielding from EM influences and other types of noise. It's really disappointing to hear that it will be seriously 'distance limited' for the foreseeable future. As I understand it, it's distance limit of detection will be in the 1 Mpc range vs. about 40 Mpc for Virgo. :(

KAGRA Logbook

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
If this trend continues, the epitaph of the 03 run will come from the GCN circulars:

"No counterpart candidate..."
"No significant candidates...."
"No transient candidates......"
"No neutrino counterparts...."
"Upper limits from......"

That list about sums up every event to date.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
A new Kagra distance/sensitivity record was set on 2/5/2020 of 94Kpc (still very limited compared to LIGO/Virgo). There is still hope of Kagra achieving 1 MPC sensitivity within a few weeks, but even if that level of sensitivity is achieved, it would still result in a signal strength that is roughly 100 times weaker than LIGO.

It's somewhat gratifying to see from the 03 data sets that my original criticisms about LIGO's methodology has merit, specifically my concern about environmentally produced "blip transients" potentially being observed in multiple detectors. That has now been verified in 03.

That revelation however does not bode very well for the current methodology that is being used by LIGO. In fact it casts serious doubt on LIGO's ability to reliably isolate environmentally produced signals from gravitational waves caused by celestial events.

The only *reliable* way to determine the actual cause of any particular signal would be to impose an external "veto" method on claims of celestial origin, just as is done with all other claims as to potential environmental causes. Specifically no signal should be considered "celestial in origin" unless and until a celestial event can be verified by mutlimessenger astronomy. Any signal that can't be externally verified to be directly caused by some environmental or celestial cause should fall into the category of "unknown cause" rather than automatically being attributed to celestial events as is currently the case.

Those two specific changes in methodology would ensure that this doesn't turn into another Joseph Weber/Bicep 2 fiasco all over again.

It's worth noting that more than three times as many supposed GW signals have been observed in 03 than were seen in 01 and 02 combined, and yet there hasn't been a single new instance of multimessenger astronomy in 03. That's sketchy.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Kagra just set a new distance record of 234Kps on Feb 11th, but still well short of LIGO and Virgo sensitivity.

I'm a bit bummed out about Kagra's recent setbacks. I realize that it's quite common to have these types of setbacks, particularly at this early stage of the process, but it would be nice to have better triangulation capacity, and more detectors online to help differentiate between terrestrial noise and celestial signals. I look forward to seeing the Kagra system reaching it's design sensitivity estimates, but alas that's likely to take a few years.

In the meantime, it's worth noting that there are still no multimessenger events in 03. That really doesn't bode well for LIGO, particularly when we see how many of the presumed celestial signals in 03 have since been downgraded/attributed to terrestrial sources. It's quite clear now from the 03 data that LIGO routinely picks up terrestrial signals in multiple detectors. They have a serious "blip transient" problem and they still haven't resolved it.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
The GW200225q LIGO signal started blowing up my GW events phone app when I went to bed last night. I noticed before I went to bed that this particular signal was very tightly constrained and I wondered if it might become the exception rather than the rule in 03 in terms of a lack of multimessenger support. I was disappointed to see the events circulars log this morning. :(

no counterpart...
no neutrino counterpart....
upper limits from.....

Same stuff, different day (night). That makes LIGO something like 0 for 70+ in 03. I can't help but wonder if/when the astronomy community is going to eventually get tired of the "cry wolf" aspect of this process.

I really don't understand how LIGO ends up with a modest FAR rating on various signals (like this one), yet assigns it such a high likelihood of it being caused by a celestial source compared to the likelihood of it being a terrestrial source. There doesn't seem to be any obvious correlation between the FAR rating and the source rating. Furthermore, often times signals with a very high FAR rating and a high source confidence rating are often later downgraded and assigned a terrestrial source later on, so there doesn't seem to be much correlation between any of the preliminary numbers assigned by LIGO and their actual likelihood of a signal actually being being celestial in origin.

The only obvious pattern that I see is that BNS events are typically assigned lower confidence figures compared to BBH events, even when the FAR rating is higher (GW199819h vs. GW200225q). I suppose that could be related to the strength of the signal.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
One wonders how long it will be before all science topics worth wrangling over end up here...

That seems inevitable to me.

I still don't understand how a gravitational wave discussion can be classified as "non mainstream". I assumed that gravitational waves were considered mainstream science. Apparently the mere introduction of any appearance of any "wrangling" on any scientific topic warrants instant banishment to this forum. :) Oh well....

FYI, I heard today on the LIGO app that Kagra set a new distance record recently with several hours long segments operating in the 270kpc range. Kagra is working on noise reduction. They obviously still have a *long* way to go to get into the sensitivity range of LIGO and Virgo, but hey, progress is still progress. I'll take whatever improvements I can get.

Admittedly I was a bit bummed when I heard about Kagra's scientific/sensitivity setbacks, but I suppose that is just par for the course with this kind of new technology. As I understand it, we'll likely have to wait a few years, probably into the 05 run before Kagra reaches its full design potential in terms of sensitivity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Given the misinformation on LIGO’s O3 run exemplified by the lack of multi-messenger events (electromagnetic radiation associated with gravitational wave events), Christopher Berry from LIGO was kind enough answer a few of my questions to set the record straight.
Christopher Berry was one of the co-authors of the very first gravitational wave discovery paper.

I'm not sure exactly why you decided to start a whole new thread on this topic. One wonders if I dare to cast "doubt" on a few of your assumptions/statements if this thread will become "controversial" and end up where the last one ended up. :)

Firstly are all SGRBs found assumed to be neutron star mergers or are there alternative mechanisms?

There have been alternative ideas for sGRBs, but at the moment it looks like we can explain them all with neutron star mergers. We'll need to observe a few more to sure that up.

Well, maybe:

Flashes in the Sky: Earth's Gamma-Ray Bursts Triggered by Lightning
Fermi Sees Gamma Rays from 'Hidden' Solar Flares

I supposed it depends on whether or not we can determine the origin of the signal. In our previous conversation on this topic you suggested/implied that *any* gamma ray burst, even ones which cannot be isolated to any specific region of the sky should count as confirmation of a GW event. I still don't buy that concept for very obvious reasons. Gamma ray flashes have been shown to originate in electrical discharges processes in our own atmosphere and in flares from the sun as well.

If the gamma ray burst can be directly associated with the very same region of the sky as predicted by Virgo/Ligo, that's a whole different ballgame.

Secondly during the O3 run I have used this database and found there have only been six definite SGRBs during this period.

I wondered at first why you selected that particular database link rather than the original GraceDb database where all the events are first recorded, until I noticed that you're evidently leaving out all the events which were later attributed to terrestrial sources, and not counting every event involving a neutron star in the merger process (BHNS events). That's certainly an arbitrary choice.

If we *include all* of the non retracted events which were originally categorized as involving at least one neutron star, the number of failed attempts jumps from 6 to 11 failed attempts at multimessenger astronomy. These include:

s200213t (BNS)
s191213g (BNS)
s181205ah (BHNS)
s190930t (BHNS)
s190923y (BHNS)
s190910h (BNS)
s190910d (BHNS)
s190901ap (BNS)
s190814bv (BHNS)
s190426c (BNS)
s190425z (BNS)

If we add in the events that were originally listed as signals involving neutron stars at greater than say 50 percent likelihood, and then later retracted and attributed to terrestrial noise, we add 8 more attempts:

s2300116a (BHNS)
s191220a (BNS)
s191213ai (BHNS)
s091120aj (BHNS)
s191117j (BHNS)
s190822c (BNS)
s190816i (BHNS)
s1905118b (BNS)

So in terms of how many signals LIGO originally categorized as involving neutron stars, LIGO is actually 0 for 19, or 0 for 11 if we ignore all retracted signals. We have to ask ourselves why we should remove retracted events since apparently terrestrial noise can and does produce signals patterns which are consistent with neutron star mergers, so we cannot rule out terrestrial causes for *any* of these events. About 42 percent of them were already attributed to terrestrial noise/sources and several of them involved multiple detectors. As I surmised in my paper, LIGO still has a serious blip transient problem.

Would the lack of a GW signal with these SGRBs be due to the limited detection range for neutron star mergers?
I haven’t seen any red shift data so I assume even the afterglow event is too faint (and distant) for measuring redshift.

sGRBs typically come from large distances. GW170817/GRB 170817A was luckily close. It's not surprising we can't find gravitational waves from all of them. We do dedicated searches to look for signals corresponding to gravitational waves. I expect those results from O3a will be out in a couple of months. Here are the results from O2 Search for gravitational-wave signals associated with gamma-ray....

Since I've limited my criticisms to 03 events, I won't comment on 02 events. Suffice to say there have been on confirmed multimessenger events associated with 03 published to date by LIGO.

Thirdly there is a lot of nonsense on the Internet that black hole mergers should also be multi-messenger events.
Can you state for the record this is not true or is it possible if there is an accretion disk?
My understanding is that accretion disks around stellar mass black holes are rare anyway.

If there is an accretion disc, it is possible there is an electromagnetic counterpart. For stellar mass binaries (instead of supermassive ones found in the centres of galaxies), that would be quite faint, so it's unlikely we'd observe anything at the distances we typically see binary black hole mergers. Small discs could be quite common, if they formed from material ejected during supernova which didn't quite escape. We don't really know yet though. I think Electromagnetic signals following stellar-mass black hole mergers is the most reasonable paper to look at.

I haven't finished reading the entire paper yet, but interestingly, it states the following:

Here we question the common consensus that the typical stellar–mass binary black hole merger is always dark. We consider a simple possibility for EM signals following binary black hole mergers, with a possible delay of hours. This mechanism requires the BH binary to have a circumbinary disk at the time of merger whose mass need only be a very small fraction of that shed as the system evolved.

It seems to suggest a distance limit of about 500 Mpc for such a detection, but it ends with the following paragraph:

Despite the large uncertainties, we suggest that the potential rewards of a successful detection of the signal discussed here justify the effort of coordinated EM campaigns. It would place unique constraints on the binary evolution before the merger, and thus provide crucial information about the contribution of various progenitor channels. Detection of a radial velocity, as suggested above, would also constrain the recoil predicted by the GW data, and so directly test strong–field predictions of General Relativity.

In other words, they don't rule out the possibility of detecting BBH events in the EM spectrum.

The current record for multi messenger astronomy is in fact 0 from 6 for the O3 run as black hole mergers even with accretion disks are too faint (assuming they do exist) whereas none of the 6 sGRBs (short gamma ray bursts) observed in this period are likely to have been outside the detection range for GWs.

Again however, the paper which Christopher Berry suggested makes no such claims about BBH events being undetectable, and LIGO is actually 0 for 19, or at best case, 0 for 11 in terms of events involving neutron stars. Furthermore, a full 42 percent of events originally attributed to neutron stars were later shown to be nothing more than terrestrial noise, demonstrating conclusively that LIGO still has a serious blip transient problem.

In short, you really didn't demonstrate that anything that I've said in my previous thread on this topic contains any "misinformation". I stand by my criticisms.

Upvote 0