Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The Sunday School lesson in my congregation today discussed being a light in the world today. It was quickly pointed out that this light does not come only from the LDS, but from all of Christianity. I would like to compare notes to see how the LDS version of being a light unto the world compares to the rest of the branches of Christianity. If any of you feel comfortable sharing some recent experiences of how you were a light which shined for the world to see or if you have had an experience where you found your world brightened by someone else's light I would really like to hear about.

:)

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Sunday School lesson in my congregation today discussed being a light in the world today. It was quickly pointed out that this light does not come only from the LDS, but from all of Christianity. I would like to compare notes to see how the LDS version of being a light unto the world compares to the rest of the branches of Christianity. If any of you feel comfortable sharing some recent experiences of how you were a light which shined for the world to see or if you have had an experience where you found your world brightened by someone else's light I would really like to hear about.

No offense, but Christians shouldn't brag about their service for God. God knows everything everyone does and what their motive is.

Proverbs 27:2
Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Many, many people have been kind to me throughout my life.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No offense, but Christians shouldn't brag about their service for God. God knows everything everyone does and what their motive is.

Proverbs 27:2
Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

That is why I gave the option to share an experience that happened to you or something that you observed that brightened the world.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was trying to share one but all I got was ridicule.

It was my early but successful attempt at violating conservation of momentum. It will make star trekking possible.

I think humanity is rigged to resist true freedom and embrace slavery.
You've successfully violated the conservation of momentum? Apply for the patent.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An expierence that really blessed me was when a friend shared these words,
"Dont forget in the dark times what you have learned in the light".
His wise words made my sad day much brighter. This is how we can each lighten anothers load from time to time.
I pray our sharing blessings is not thought of as boastful, for our boast is in Christ who gives light for us all to recieve.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
An expierence that really blessed me was when a friend shared these words,
"Dont forget in the dark times what you have learned in the light".
His wise words made my sad day much brighter. This is how we can each lighten anothers load from time to time.
I pray our sharing blessings is not thought of as boastful, for our boast is in Christ who gives light for us all to recieve.

Beautiful. And in sharing this you have added light to my day.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Just a reminder of the purpose of this forum, I have taken this from UDD Statement of Purpose.

Welcome to Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion. UDD is a forum for all discussion of unorthodox theology and fellowship.

I look forward to enjoying a thread of fellowship as we discuss the topic of bringing light into the world from our various denominational perspectives.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Oaky, my turn.

A few years ago my wife and I were both out of work. I have a friend, who like most of my friends is not LDS, and he runs a charity that goes around to local businesses and collects donations to give the poor at Christmas. When he found out about my family's situation he brought gifts for the children. His act, at Christmas, reminded me in a strong manner that the Savior was Heavenly Father's gift to all of us. My friend's act really lighted the world for my family that year and every time I think back upon it my day grows a little brighter.

My friend lives his religion all the year around, not just Christmas. He always has a smile on his face. He never grumbles or talks badly about others. He shares his faith, without being preachy or pushing his beliefs on others. Every meeting I have with this man makes the world brighter for me.

I hope that someday I can carry the light of God around with me in the same way that my friend does. And I'm sure if I mentioned it he would wave off any compliment and simply state that he was just doing what he thought Jesus would do in the same situation.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And when we need a lift from a friend, maybe just a smile or phone call, it does show the light of love from a willing heart. Whether we are on the giving or receiving.
Being dragged down in this world is common, but staying that way is optional.
Thanks for a thread of light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And when we need a lift from a friend, maybe just a smile or phone call, it does show the light of love from a willing heart. Whether we are on the giving or receiving.
Being dragged down in this world is common, but staying that way is optional.
Thanks for a thread of light.

That reminds me of a talk that I heard in church. One of the men in our congregation had noticed that a man stood on the corner everyday and waved to the people who went by. This wasn't the case of a someone panhandling on the corner, just someone who thought he could improve the world with a smile and a friendly gesture. The man giving the talked about how it had indeed brought light into the world. Whenever he drove by this person he smiled and waved back. I can only imagine how many people this man effected in a positive way.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

Alright, that's enough! The OP made it clear that this is a fellowship thread, not a debate about LDS. There are dozens of other threads in this forum if that's what you are looking for. I've cleaned this thread of the off topic posts. I advise everyone to read the Sitewide Rules before continuing. Particularly this part:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Coming home from town Friday night as we passed the local cemetary I looked at the many solar lights that had been placed on the grave sites.
It was just like a lighted city for those sleeping there.
Waiting for the call to come forth at the resurrection.
A modern way to declare light in an unusual place.

Upvote 0

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My wife is not a believer by any means. She decided one day that it would be a good idea to locate and contact a peson I had known in high school and had lost contact with. This person was not a person of faith either. When he calls me out of the blue it makes me curious, yet when I question why he only gives cryptic answers that confuse rather than clarify. This led to a remarkable thought process that uncovered a subconcious decision I had made as a small boy that I did not deserve to be happy or successful. The result of this decision was that I did not finish things that I started. The fact that the best gift I had ever received came from unbelievers really got me scratching my head. Lesson learned, we do not always get the information we need from where we expect.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Coming home from town Friday night as we passed the local cemetary I looked at the many solar lights that had been placed on the grave sites.
It was just like a lighted city for those sleeping there.
Waiting for the call to come forth at the resurrection.
A modern way to declare light in an unusual place.

That's a beautiful image. I may never look at cemeteries the same way again.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
My wife is not a believer by any means. She decided one day that it would be a good idea to locate and contact a peson I had known in high school and had lost contact with. This person was not a person of faith either. When he calls me out of the blue it makes me curious, yet when I question why he only gives cryptic answers that confuse rather than clarify. This led to a remarkable thought process that uncovered a subconcious decision I had made as a small boy that I did not deserve to be happy or successful. The result of this decision was that I did not finish things that I started. The fact that the best gift I had ever received came from unbelievers really got me scratching my head. Lesson learned, we do not always get the information we need from where we expect.

Thank you for sharing that.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
My maternal grandmother was always there for anyone who had a need.
She used to take me with her when she went to people's houses, where she would cook and clean for a family with a new baby, for instance, or where she would bring groceries to a family whose dad was out of work. We visited sick people in the hospital, where she would bring flowers, or books, and we visited old people who were lonely, where she would bring cookies or something and sit awhile and chat.
Every year at Christmas she would go through our rooms with us grandkids, and help us to pack up clothes we no longer wore, and toys we no longer played with, and take us to the Salvation Army where we gave these things so that poor kids could also get a visit from Santa. She usually helped us each to pick out a new toy, which we paid for with our allowance money, to go into the box as well...and of course, she also bought a boxful herself.
She was certainly a light to all who knew her, and I feel very lucky that she was my Grandma.

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Does anyone else want to share a story about someone who has lightened the world?

There has been and are so many people who have brought light to my world that it is hard to pick out a few to tell about. I hope that it is close enough to what you are asking to instead share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsM5lt9tCFo

Upvote 0