Life on other planets, christians opinions?

Wotan

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
I was discussing this with a friend a while ago, if life was found on another planet how would that affect creationists? I dont think it says anywhere that he created life elsewhere or even planets elsewhere. I include non intelligent life such as bacteria like creatures.
My friend was a creationist and he said that if life was found on places other than earth that he would rethink his beliefs for the first time, what about the other creationists out there what is your view?

Wotan

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Bible Defender said:
I wouldn't be suprised if there was life on other planets, God hasn't revealed his own plan. For all I know, there could be millions of other habitable planets with intelligent life.

what about bacteria like things? whats the point of those....unless they are going to evolve or have evovled :p

Upvote 0

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
Wotan said:
what about bacteria like things? whats the point of those....unless they are going to evolve or have evovled :p

The point? They please God. From an evolutionary viewpoint, they might be best adapted as bacteria. Remember, evolution isn't a ladder with human on top, it's a web that places us right in with all the animals, complex organisms wouldn't automatically be better.

Upvote 0

Wotan

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Ryder said:
I'm certain we will shortly see evidence of life on other planets, just as soon as Hollywood's prop experts finish touching up the latest batch of Martian rocks...

what about the moon of titan? there may be small hydrocarbon eating life forms what would you think then? did God put them there, if so why? if not doesnt that show evolution?

Upvote 0

Wotan

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Bible Defender said:
The point? They please God. From an evolutionary viewpoint, they might be best adapted as bacteria. Remember, evolution isn't a ladder with human on top, it's a web that places us right in with all the animals, complex organisms wouldn't automatically be better.

why are they not in the bible? so it infallible but it leaves important bits out when is the point when you think somthings wrong with the bible? if there isnt a point you really must not care what you believe in

Upvote 0

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
Wotan said:
why are they not in the bible? so it infallible but it leaves important bits out when is the point when you think somthings wrong with the bible? if there isnt a point you really must not care what you believe in

That's really a stretch dude, there are some difficult biblical criticisms to deal with, but that's just plain silly. How is the bible fallible because it makes no mention of extraterrestrial bacteria?

Upvote 0

Wotan

Aug 4, 2005
✟7,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Bible Defender said:
That's really a stretch dude, there are some difficult biblical criticisms to deal with, but that's just plain silly. How is the bible fallible because it makes no mention of extraterrestrial bacteria?

so life on other planets is that important to you???? you dont think it deserves a mention somewhere from God? ok answer this, what would it take for you to question your beliefs?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Defender

Jan 11, 2005
✟15,385.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
Wotan said:
so life on other planets is that important to you???? you dont think it deserves a mention somewhere from God? ok answer this, what would it take for you to question your beliefs?

I believe in irresistable grace, I don't think that anything can cause me to lose my salvation. I question my beliefs all the time, how else would you refine your knowledge?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Bible Defender said:
I wouldn't be suprised if there was life on other planets, God hasn't revealed his own plan. For all I know, there could be millions of other habitable planets with intelligent life.

I don't disagree, but the Church has not been as flexible in the past. Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake for claiming that the earth was not the center of the universe and that life existed on other planets. This was in 1600 AD. The Church proceeded to burn him at the stake for this and other beliefs. From http://www.thereisnogod.info/English/Giordano.php (it is an atheist site, so forgive me ;))

"His claims of an infinite universe with inhabited planets were revolutionary and considered a real threat to the Church doctrine."

I fully realize that his views on the position of the Earth and life on other planets would not clash with current christian theology, but it is interesting that these views have changed over time within christianity.

Upvote 0

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
MartinM said:
That was stupid, in the photographic proof, there wasn't any! How in the world is a picture of the moon evidence against it? I loved it when they compared a computer generated picture of star trek to the moon, which looked nothing alike, and even if it did, how the heck would that matter?

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Grengor said:
That was stupid, in the photographic proof, there wasn't any! How in the world is a picture of the moon evidence against it? I loved it when they compared a computer generated picture of star trek to the moon, which looked nothing alike, and even if it did, how the heck would that matter?

Judging by the disclaimer at the bottom of that page, I'd say the guy who created it is joking.

Upvote 0