Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can I get a summary on the theology behind the apostles including Paul barnabbas titus Timothy Silas apollos and whomever else you might consider and how and when they were claimed to have died?

I consider Christ said "I did not say you would not die, but that you would have eternal life." And something about Jesus saying something like "many of you will not taste death until you see the kingdom of God." What does this mean?

Do you presume that some saints are not sleeping at all but fully alive living lives humbly set apart from the world?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Can I get a summary on the theology behind the apostles including Paul barnabbas titus Timothy Silas apollos and whomever else you might consider and how and when they were claimed to have died?

I consider Christ said "I did not say you would not die, but that you would have eternal life." And something about Jesus saying something like "many of you will not taste death until you see the kingdom of God." What does this mean?

Do you presume that some saints are not sleeping at all but fully alive living lives humbly set apart from the world?
No. Some of the apostles died very early in the life of the church, as recorded in Acts. The only apostle, as far as I know, to die of old age was John. Lord Jesus specifically told Peter that he would die a martyr.

Physical death is nothing to the born again Christian. We start living forever from the moment we are born again. Some people reckon that the transfiguration of Christ, with Abraham and Moses, was a vision of the Kingdom of God. Others believe that it was the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit was poured out.

Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF (a bit belated). :)

All of the Apostles died.

They are not sleeping, but are alive in Christ (without resurrected bodies though). Just as all who have died in Christ are alive and awake in Christ.

To "fall asleep" was a euphemism for death. Kind of like we might say "sleep with" someone as a euphemism for physical (sexual) relations.

But the circumstances, place, and roughly time of their deaths are historically known. With the exception that St. John the Beloved somehow ended up with some alternative (and not very authoritative) stories.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,393.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF (a bit belated). :)

All of the Apostles died.

They are not sleeping, but are alive in Christ (without resurrected bodies though). Just as all who have died in Christ are alive and awake in Christ.

To "fall asleep" was a euphemism for death. Kind of like we might say "sleep with" someone as a euphemism for physical (sexual) relations.

But the circumstances, place, and roughly time of their deaths are historically known. With the exception that St. John the Beloved somehow ended up with some alternative (and not very authoritative) stories.
Acts 12 speaks of the death of James the brother of John - although there is also a report, which may be no more than an inference from the Gospels, that James and John were martyred together.

The more usual report is that John lived to a great old age, and died about 100, perhaps in Ephesus.

James “the brother of the Lord” is commonly said, on the basis of a passage in Josephus, to have been put to death shortly before the Jewish War of 66-73.

There is a tradition as old as the first century that Peter and Paul both died in Rome - a (more recent ?) suggestion, from 1953, is that Peter died in Jerusalem: on what it is based, I do not know.

The fact of the matter is, that there is very little that is - more or less - incontestably certain about the deaths of the Apostles: but there is a wealth of apocryphal traditions (some of which may have a basis in fact), pious narratives, inferences from Scripture, and historical conjectures.

The lack of historical certainty on these points is likely to disappoint quite a few people; but unfortunately, that, however unsatisfactory, cannot really be avoided.

Upvote 0