Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since another thread dealing with this issue got out of hand and was closed I’m starting this new thread to deal specifically with the effect of liberalism on our society today. Hopefully it can be a source of information on the topic no matter which side of the fence one is on.

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since another thread dealing with this issue got out of hand and was closed I’m starting this new thread to deal specifically with the effect of liberalism on our society today. Hopefully it can be a source of information on the topic no matter which side of the fence one is on.
The problem is that the term liberalism is never adequately qualified so inevitably people just end up arguing semantics.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is "liberalism"? Can we start with agreeing with what it is and what it is not?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Should someone be fired for violating company policy? Because that is what I read she did. Nothing about being fired for her political views but rather publicly airing them against policy.
I think the main problem here is that the activity was in her church!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What exactly is "liberalism"? Can we start with agreeing with what it is and what it is not?
I would say just look at the policies of those that openly claim to be liberals and you have a baseline. Obviously there are some differences among liberals. I think most people recognize the differences between liberalism and conservatism without a check list. Your definition is welcome. The things I will post here are what I believe to be liberal policies or ideals.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem is that she spoke to a journalist for a publication available to the general public about the activity. It’s not about where she carried out her political activity but rather that she spoke about it to the journalist who published it. Revealing political bias to the public is against company policies.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is that she spoke to a journalist for a publication available to the general public about the activity. It’s not about where she carried out her political activity but rather that she spoke about it to the journalist who published it. Revealing political bias to the public is against company policies.
From the article:“However, her pro-life position became publicly known when an article about the pro-life petitions was published in the Flatwater Free Press. The reporter of the article, Natalia Alamdari, called Standiford and asked whether a journalist ought to gather signatures for a pro-life petition. Standiford replied, "You’re probably right. I probably, maybe shouldn’t have even done that. But who knew it would be an issue?"

But Standiford said that she expressed her pro-life beliefs in detail to Alamdari, but that Alamdari isolated one comment — which Standiford thought was off the record — to "attack" her.

"The article was an attack, an attack directly on me," Standiford said.

"I told [Alamdari], 'This is in the privacy of my church. This is something that I did, acting as a Christian, in the privacy of my church,'" Standiford continued.

The day after the Alamdari piece was published, Standiford was fired.” Everyone can make up their own mind!

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article:“However, her pro-life position became publicly known when an article about the pro-life petitions was published in the Flatwater Free Press. The reporter of the article, Natalia Alamdari, called Standiford and asked whether a journalist ought to gather signatures for a pro-life petition. Standiford replied, "You’re probably right. I probably, maybe shouldn’t have even done that. But who knew it would be an issue?"

But Standiford said that she expressed her pro-life beliefs in detail to Alamdari, but that Alamdari isolated one comment — which Standiford thought was off the record — to "attack" her.

"The article was an attack, an attack directly on me," Standiford said.

"I told [Alamdari], 'This is in the privacy of my church. This is something that I did, acting as a Christian, in the privacy of my church,'" Standiford continued.

The day after the Alamdari piece was published, Standiford was fired.” Everyone can make up their own mind!
The fact is she was fired not for what her political views were but that she violated policy by publicly revealing them. This has nothing to do with liberalism. It is an issue between her and her employer over a violation of company policy.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is this for a start?
upload_2022-10-15_13-39-42.jpeg

Or this
main-qimg-17a2697006c408a630ba447f57d55ee8-pjlq

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like she violated company policy.
Top North Platte broadcaster fired for gathering anti-abortion signatures
Shannon Booth, the KNOP vice president and general manager, said in a statement that Standiford has been fired and she wishes the best for her.

“KNOP can confirm that our long-standing company policy encourages civic involvement among our employees, so long as such activities do not give the appearance of interfering with journalistic impartiality,” Booth said in a statement. “In furtherance of that qualification, KNOP’s news personnel are not permitted, at any time and regardless of beliefs, to actively engage in any political activity for any candidate, party, or ballot initiative.

She collected signatures for a ballot initiative. That she did so at her church doesn't negate that she did it.​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.