Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One comparison we can make already - this was more than double the sentence that a Russian court handed down to members of a certain rock group I won't name for disrupting prayers in a church, and remember the international outcry about horribly repressive the Russian government was being?
I hear they're President Trump's favorite band.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both. For vandalism, he's getting a sentence more typically given out rapists. So as I said, let's see how this goes and compare.

One comparison we can make already - this was more than double the sentence that a Russian court handed down to members of a certain rock group I won't name for disrupting prayers in a church, and remember the international outcry about horribly repressive the Russian government was being?
I don't think one guy is going to get the same publicity as a rock group so who's really going to notice or even care maybe considering his long list of convictions in the past, auto thief, etc. but this still seems like a long time for vandalism.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I believe we should ignore and dismiss this vandalism and suggest that it was perpetrated by the group purported to be attacked. This is how the people screaming Christian persecution were when black churches were being burned.

White teenager arrested 'for burning down black church in Louisiana'

I find it interesting that a church being vandalized only registers for some when the congregation is not black.

By the way, I already posted a story about an anti-Catholic attack on a church: Man charged with hate crime in alleged Glen Burnie assault. They are and have always been treated as hate crimes. Many times, attacks on Catholics are perpetrated by non-Catholic Christians. For some, Catholics aren't Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Leaders at a Lexington church hope police can track down the troublemakers responsible for vandalizing the church tree times in a span of just over three months' time.

DESTROYED+STATUE.jpg

Pax Christi Catholic Church, which is located on Victoria Way, just off Man o'War near Nicholasville Road, was hit by vandals in September, October and again on Thursday.

Their surveillance cameras captured all of it, as vandals destroyed statues of the Virgin Mary and of St. Francis of Assisi.

Lexington church vandalized three times in matter of months

This is awful, but of course, it can't be a "hate crime", because White Christians aren't in the Left's hallowed protected classes. Sigh, sigh, sigh...Identity Politics, first, last and always.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is awful, but of course, it can't be a "hate crime", because White Christians aren't in the Left's hallowed protected classes. Sigh, sigh, sigh...Identity Politics, first, last and always.
Why does it even matter what anyone on "the left" calls it? Isn't it up to police, prosecutors and courts to determine if this was a hate crime?

Also, no one attacked white Christians here unless you consider a statue as having equal value to a person.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why does it even matter what anyone on "the left" calls it? Isn't it up to police, prosecutors and courts to determine if this was a hate crime?

Also, no one attacked white Christians here unless you consider a statue as having equal value to a person.

Oh so when the guy vandalized and left a slab of bacon in a Mosque, no actual Muslims were attacked either, correct? I mean just so you're totally even-handed.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh so when the guy vandalized and left a slab of bacon in a Mosque, no actual Muslims were attacked either, correct? I mean just so you're totally even-handed.
That is correct. I wrote him off as a stupid punk vandal as well.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It can if it is proven in court.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think one guy is going to get the same publicity as a rock group so who's really going to notice or even care maybe considering his long list of convictions in the past, auto thief, etc. but this still seems like a long time for vandalism.

It appears that it was leaving the slab of bacon that made it a felony under the hate crimes laws. The vandalism itself would have been a misdameanor, getting him one year, tops.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It appears that it was leaving the slab of bacon that made it a felony under the hate crimes laws. The vandalism itself would have been a misdameanor, getting him one year, tops.
For some reason I thought that a hate crime doubled sentence; I guess not.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But there's no persecution of Christians in the USA...

Lord have mercy :crossrc:

well...

Let's put a few things in context here.

I would agree that it's an act of vandalism.

If they can confirm that the motivation for said act was in fact an opposition to the catholic church, then I would agree that it's an act of hate.

...but to make the statement you did sort of comes across as if you're implying that somehow Christians have it just as bad as other groups would be a tad disingenuous.

Let's be honest here:
- Christians have had their way with our legal and political system for decades
- They've had numerous laws thrust into place to cater to their religious preferences
- They 70% of the US population
- They have a political party dedicated to pushing their views in Washington since the 80's
- They fight to restrict rights of other groups (for things that don't impact them at all)

Getting a statue knocked over? In terms of persecution, I don't think you really want to start making a tally comparing yourselves to other groups as you'll likely come off looking rather petty.

I don't know what your motivation was for posting this with the particular phrasing you did, but many Christians seem to want play this angle where after years of being allowed to boss everyone else around, the moment they're no longer allowed to do so, they'll cling to that, and every little example of things like this to spin this tale about how "we're really the victims here!"...when in reality, no ideological group has been given more advantages and political stroke and been coddled more in the last 100 years in the US.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Despite the claims by some in this thread, crimes against Christians motivated by their religious affiliation have always been classified as hate crimes. Claims that this is not the case is an outright lie that is demonstrated by hate crime statistics and multiple news stories on the crimes, arrests, and punishment of the accused found guilty.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But there's no persecution of Christians in the USA...

Lord have mercy :crossrc:
The USA is a country where 75% of the population is Christian. And nearly every politician is a Christian. And most judges are Christian. And most police are Christian. But Christians are being persecuted?

Who are these people who are persecuting Christians? How are they managing to persecute Christians when Christians run every facet of the government?

Using statistically speaking this is most likely the work of Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The USA is a country where 75% of the population is Christian. And nearly every politician is a Christian. And most judges are Christian. And most police are Christian. But Christians are being persecuted?

Who are these people who are persecuting Christians? How are they managing to persecute Christians when Christians run every facet of the government?

Using statistically speaking this is most likely the work of Christians.

It's the self-loathing Christians, obviously.

That's calvinism, right?

Upvote 0