St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You keep saying so, but why don't I? That is not actually ever shown. This thread was asking for responders to say where on the designated spectrum of belief their belief would be, this I responded to. I do not have to refer to physics, though I do not deny physics working as it does, to use logic, and you have absolutely nothing to show that something, let alone everything, can come from absolutely nothing. And if there was not absolutely nothing before, which I can say is the logical understanding, there was always something. That does not involve magic. But what does something coming from nothing involve?
An unanswerable question. Really, it's a straw man, since science does not claim that "something" came from "nothing." What science says is "we don't know where it came from."

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You keep saying so, but why don't I? That is not actually ever shown. This thread was asking for responders to say where on the designated spectrum of belief their belief would be, this I responded to. I do not have to refer to physics, though I do not deny physics working as it does, to use logic, and you have absolutely nothing to show that something, let alone everything, can come from absolutely nothing. And if there was not absolutely nothing before, which I can say is the logical understanding, there was always something. That does not involve magic. But what does something coming from nothing involve?

Same answer, I gave my response to the topic and was accused of belief in magic. I did not claim evidence from science of the belief, but just expressed what I believed then so far. It is my interpretation, without disregarding evidence, just as all others have their interpretations, and you do too. No one is just looking at evidences without a view they have and interpretation.

Though I don't claim scientific evidence for what I said then I believe, I can look at the same evidences considered in science, I see other bases that any responders are not considering for what I understand.

Okay if one wants to discuss a scientific concept then one takes on a responsibility of trying to at least learn the basics of science. And one needs to avoid strawman arguments. I don't think anyone has claimed that the universe can come from "absolutely nothing". In fact if one studies physics "absolutely nothing" appears to be an impossible state. Of course that is a more complex topic, at least mathematically. And when one is discussing evolution that is a moving of the goalposts. If one persists it amounts to an admission that one cannot argue against evolution. I like to try to concentrate on one topic at a time.

But for just a little bit I will go off topic. "Something from nothing" does occur. At least on a quantum level where it occurs constantly. Virtual particles are constantly appearing and disappearing. And though at first thought to be just mathematical constructs testing for them shows them to actually exist. What matters is the amount of energy, that is a constant. When it comes to our universe the total energy of the universe has been measured and as closely as can be determined the total energy of the universe is zero. In physics there is both positive and negative energy. If the two balance then your "universe from nothing" does not violate any laws of physics. But that gets into physics at a level that I do not come close to fully understanding and I have to rely on those that put their ideas through the process of peer review and publication, and then further testing and confirmation by other physicists.

Now as to evidence and evolution if you understood the concept you would see that there only is evidence for evolution. Science uses scientific evidence. The concept puts a burden of proof upon the presenter, and once it matches the definition it puts a burden of proof upon those that oppose it. It is not good enough to say "I don't believe it". Once scientific evidence is presented it buts the burden of proof upon the person trying to refute it. Creationists tend to fail at that, very badly.

If you want to break down any idea to basics I will gladly discuss them with you.

Upvote 0