God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is just an attempt to categorize the different gradations of beliefs regarding evolution and creationism, because there is quite a large spectrum. Starting from one extreme and proceeding to another:

1. There is no God or other higher intelligence, life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

2. There is a God or higher intelligence, but it never did anything to encourage the development of life. Life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

3. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it arranged things so that the laws of physics would be conducive to forming life. Life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

4. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it directly intervened in some way to make sure life arose. After that, life evolved on its own to the level we see today.

5. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it intervened to make sure life arose, and continues to intervene to guide its evolutionary path. The modern science of evolution and biology is correct, but cannot detect God's interference.

6. Evolution and common descent are correct, but every step of the process is directly controlled by God.

7. Deep time is correct, and species can evolve into new species, but the ancestors of all modern lifeforms were divinely created by God.

8. Deep time is correct, and species can evolve to an extent, but not into new species. God created each species separately.

9. The earth and universe are only a few thousand years old. God created each species separately, but they can evolve, just not into new species.

10. The earth and universe are only a few thousand years old. Evolution does not and cannot happen. Every species today is exactly the same as when God created it.

I'll include a poll.

Reactions: Astrophile

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,754.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You omitted the option from your poll that would have allowed me to vote.

There may or may not be a God, or higher intelligence, or intelligences. This entity, or these entities may, or may not have played crucial, or minor roles in the emergence of life and its subsequent evolution. Who knows? I don't. However, the evidence fully supports natural evolution from a common ancestor over several billion years via mechanisms in which natural selection was a key component. There was no apparent involvement of the aforementioned entity, or entities in this evolution. As to the origin of life itself, that is a separate issue, though several plausible paths to emergence from chemical reactions remain the best currently availabel explanation.

I can see why you left it off. :)

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You omitted the option from your poll that would have allowed me to vote.

There may or may not be a God, or higher intelligence, or intelligences. This entity, or these entities may, or may not have played crucial, or minor roles in the emergence of life and its subsequent evolution. Who knows? I don't. However, the evidence fully supports natural evolution from a common ancestor over several billion years via mechanisms in which natural selection was a key component. There was no apparent involvement of the aforementioned entity, or entities in this evolution. As to the origin of life itself, that is a separate issue, though several plausible paths to emergence from chemical reactions remain the best currently availabel explanation.

I can see why you left it off. :)

There are only 10 options you can put on a poll.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is just an attempt to categorize the different gradations of beliefs regarding evolution and creationism, because there is quite a large spectrum. Starting from one extreme and proceeding to another:

1. There is no God or other higher intelligence, life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

2. There is a God or higher intelligence, but it never did anything to encourage the development of life. Life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

3. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it arranged things so that the laws of physics would be conducive to forming life. Life arose from chemical processes and evolved on its own to the level we see today.

4. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it directly intervened in some way to make sure life arose. After that, life evolved on its own to the level we see today.

5. There is a God or higher intelligence, and it intervened to make sure life arose, and continues to intervene to guide its evolutionary path. The modern science of evolution and biology is correct, but cannot detect God's interference.

6. Evolution and common descent are correct, but every step of the process is directly controlled by God.

7. Deep time is correct, and species can evolve into new species, but the ancestors of all modern lifeforms were divinely created by God.

8. Deep time is correct, and species can evolve to an extent, but not into new species. God created each species separately.

9. The earth and universe are only a few thousand years old. God created each species separately, but they can evolve, just not into new species.

10. The earth and universe are only a few thousand years old. Evolution does not and cannot happen. Every species today is exactly the same as when God created it.

I'll include a poll.
I'm missing an option...
I can only choose between options where it is said that a god does exist on the one hand, or an option where it says that there are no such things as gods.

I'ld require an option that says something along the lines of:
The science of biology is a valid and seemingly accurate explanation of the evolution of life and there is no reason or evidence to suggest that any god(s), if they even exist, have anything to do with it.

EDIT: @Ophiolite 's option would work for me as well. I expect that most, if not all, atheists on this forum will reply in roughly the same way. You might as well change your first option into the one suggested by @Ophiolite and myself, as I also expect that practically nobody will vote for option 1...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
This is just an attempt to categorize the different gradations of beliefs regarding evolution and creationism, because there is quite a large spectrum.
This spectrum is not evolution and creationism. The inclusion of God existing or not mixes in theism/atheism. The inclusion of "life arose" is creation/abiogenesis.

Remove the extra theism/atheism + creation/abiogenesis and the physical evidence supports a version of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4: "life evolved on its own to the level we see today".

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This spectrum is not evolution and creationism. The inclusion of God existing or not mixes in theism/atheism. The inclusion of "life arose" is creation/abiogenesis.

Remove the extra theism/atheism + creation/abiogenesis and the physical evidence supports a version of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4: "life evolved on its own to the level we see today".

The point is that many people think it's an all or nothing proposition so it's useful to measure a spectrum. Also for option 1 you don't have to be certain that there is no God, you just have to believe that there isn't.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
The point is that many people think it's an all or nothing proposition so it's useful to measure a spectrum. Also for option 1 you don't have to be certain that there is no God, you just have to believe that there isn't.
I could go along with that, except that I think it's probable that there are 'higher intelligences' out there. The probability that we are the most intelligent depends on the number of intelligent life forms in the universe; if there are more than a few others (e.g. more than single figures) we're almost certainly not the most intelligent.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
The point is that many people think it's an all or nothing proposition so it's useful to measure a spectrum.
The point you missed is that you did not write a spectrum between evolution and creationism.
Creation only applies to creationism: Evolution is not abiogenesis.
God is irrelevant to evolution: Evolution is a science.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The point you missed is that you did not write a spectrum between evolution and creationism.
Creation only applies to creationism: Evolution is not abiogenesis.
God is irrelevant to evolution: Evolution is a science.

But... many people are taught that there is a connection and that they are in opposition. So it's useful to measure a spectrum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The natural state of the universe is the absence of life, therefore biological life on earth is supernatural, therefore ..................:bow:

Support this with evidence, data and define the terms you are using.

Otherwise, its completely void of content.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
The natural state of the universe is the absence of life, therefore biological life on earth is supernatural, therefore ..................:bow:
When you have to resort to word games to support your beliefs, it's not going well...

Upvote 0

ianw16

Mar 7, 2018
bournemouth
✟9,234.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

And if we then find evidence of it elsewhere, such as at Mars, your excuse will then change to.........what, exactly?

Upvote 0