✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
WOW MA?! I was born and raised here and never heard of them (SHP) :doh:

Loved the manual typewriter, carbon and brushes :)

Remember the cartridge ink pens....what a mess they made :p

And marbles...I had quite a collection too :D

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stanley Home Products is a subsidiary of Fuller Brush... great products that save lots of money (concentrated). You can search and order online in fact. SHP was out of Westfield... and I traveled there a few times.

I still have those ink pens as I used to do calligraphy.... both straight dip tips and draw up kind...but really prefer the cartridge, easier to change colors. (Tips dry out so fast...) Did you know that once you break a tip in, no one else can use it because it conforms to your angles etc? Weird.

I loved my portable electric typewriter long into computer printer days... I would still but couldn't find ribbons... but I could whip out a letter in nothing flat, and envelope and using a computer and printer it just seems to take 3 x as long...and rarely get the envelope printed out.

OK... do they still have the big fat crayons for little hands (preschool)??? I liked them so much! I could use them now (if I had any reason to color) since my hands don't work well at times. lol

Ok... remember NOT being allowed fast dancing at school dances? The first fast song played at my Jr High dance was wipe-out...and that was because someone brought the 45 rpm and begged...but we all had to SIT DOWN (around the edge of the cafeteria where the dance was held) while it played--no dancing!

Upvote 0

soyunagile7980

Council Member
Dec 7, 2011
✟17,124.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Speaking of the toys we played with:
Silly string? (Watched others use it as we could not afford)
Silly Putty? (Copied comics right out of the paper)
Super Balls? (The small ones were great for playing Jacks)
First Barbie with bendable knees? (I wish I had kept my collection, it's worth a fortune on Ebay).

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
One of my first summer jobs was in an office replacing someone who went on a three week vacation. I took dictation using shorthand and remember how different that was than practicing in school. Yes, we did the Gregg method as well.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My first job was as a precision typist working for Florida Title and Abstract Company in downtown Miami. I had to read off of microfiche and type perfectly the deeds and abstracts of real estate undergoing legal proceedings. The ladies in the office helped each other proof down to the jot and tittle.... 145 feet along a line south and west of a line ....on the northwest section of lot xxxxx located in the South East blah blah blah...

Work began at 7 am. It was a 20 minute drive except for rush hour traffic... so we had to be on the highway before 6:15 am, arriving a half hour early for work..OR we would arrive after 7 am. :doh: About 5 of us carpooled, and it was all I could do to chip in the gas and parking fees. Add to that the babysitter, and taxes and I wonder if it did anything more than get me out of the house and give me office experience! lol

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My first job was as a precision typist working for Florida Title and Abstract Company in downtown Miami. I had to read off of microfiche and type perfectly the deeds and abstracts of real estate undergoing legal proceedings. The ladies in the office helped each other proof down to the jot and tittle.... 145 feet along a line south and west of a line ....on the northwest section of lot xxxxx located in the South East blah blah blah...

Work began at 7 am. It was a 20 minute drive except for rush hour traffic... so we had to be on the highway before 6:15 am, arriving a half hour early for work..OR we would arrive after 7 am. :doh: About 5 of us carpooled, and it was all I could do to chip in the gas and parking fees. Add to that the babysitter, and taxes and I wonder if it did anything more than get me out of the house and give me office experience! lol

I remember starting out in my first full time office job (summer work) getting paid about 80 cents an hour (this was before minimum wage, I think) and worked up to $1.25 before I quit and went off to college. It was as a file clerk and telephone person in a Credit Bureau. What a learning experience that was! Banks, etc. would call us and give us their code name. Then we went to this huge file and drew out small folders of different persons' credit records. If the file was outdated we had to call around to get updates. I spent so much time on the phone that to this day I don't like being on there much.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking of the toys we played with:
Silly string? (Watched others use it as we could not afford)
Silly Putty? (Copied comics right out of the paper)
Super Balls? (The small ones were great for playing Jacks)
First Barbie with bendable knees? (I wish I had kept my collection, it's worth a fortune on Ebay).

My brothers and I had many hours of fun with silly putty. Thanks for the reminder. Being able to copy the comics was absolutely amazing to us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Silly String is still around, not so old after all. Further, our service men have found a use for it. You shoot the stuff in through a doorway, and it settles to the floor. If there's any booby-trap wires stretched across the door opening the silly string will land on that and alert the serviceman to the trap. It may also trigger any infra-red light trips too-- before the soldier does.

Toys go to war-- who'da thunk it?

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My brothers and I had many hours of fun with silly putty. Thanks for the reminder. Being able to copy the comics was absolutely amazing to us.
I still buy if for the grandkids :D
Silly String is still around, not so old after all. Further, our service men have found a use for it. You shoot the stuff in through a doorway, and it settles to the floor. If there's any booby-trap wires stretched across the door opening the silly string will land on that and alert the serviceman to the trap. It may also trigger any infra-red light trips too-- before the soldier does.

Toys go to war-- who'da thunk it?

Good point...I had read that before ; thank God it helps them be safer :pray:

Gotta love PLAY DOUGH too (in the cans...and we have made our own) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I made my own (for my Cub Scout den) play doh.... and it was a little drier than the store bought we had... but the new play doh (as contrasted with what we had as children) is more like plastic than what we had. (Sorry if I've thoroughly confused anyone...having trouble with that myself today :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ritz

Senior Veteran
Aug 23, 2005
✟5,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
I remember my first date which was the spring of our seventh grade in junior high school. He rode me to the movies on his bicycle handlebars. And I was wearing a big full skirt. And afterwards we went to a teen hang out called the 'Sweet Shop' next to the theater. We ordered cherry cokes. Do you remember yours..first dates or teen hang outs?

Yes! It was a little soda pharmacy shop and the best thing about it was the counter where they made those cherry cokes. I loved grabbing a roll of rootbeer lifesavers and looking through tiger beat!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums