Let's compare real science to "scientific creationism".

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Originally posted by Annabel Lee
This may have been posted before but here is a link to a Creation Evidence Museum in Texas.....opinions?
http://www.creationevidence.org/

WHAT?! That makes me choke! It's so ridiculously bad - I can scarcely begin to critique it at the moment. First I see it talking about the Paluxy tracks, then the next thing is "Bible codes"! (Did you know that September 11th was in the Bible code?)

Thanks for the laugh, Annabel (forced though it may be).

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
Klamath Falls, OR United States
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
OK, Nick (and whoever wants to listen), i finally remembered a great joke.

One man worked the nightshift, and his path to work led through a graveyard. He always walked to and from home, but overtime he got used to the cemetary.

One night, as he was walking home from work, and much to his surprise, someone dug a fresh 9-foot grave in the path. He fell in, and struggled to get out. But it was hopeless. He relaxed with his lunchbox, and after some time, he heard someone coming down the path. He didn't want to scare the person by yelling out, so he waited. Sure enough, the other man also fell in.

The man listened as the other man scratched and jumped to no avail. He said to the man, "It's all right. Just lay down here and take a little rest. I've been trying to escape out of here for a while now." While he was still talking, the other man jumped out of the grave and ran home...

I think that's funny, but that's only my sense of humor.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by alexgb00

What's the "k/t" event, again? I seem to be kind of backward.

K/T boundary

I believe that God created humans and all plants and animals, Lewis -- apes, monkeys... I don't think people came from animals,

Just a note. Humans are animals, in every biological sense.

but all the races are from Noah and his sons (i suppose one of his sons was oriental, one was white, one was black, and nobody can know what Noah was). But that's just sharing what i think.

Why do you believe that instead of the explaination from the Tower of Babel?

Upvote 0
I don't know... Some evoluitonists are so prejudist against Creation. :(

Actually, most evolutionists believe in Creation. It's Special Creation that they don't believe in. Such distinctions are often lost in this discussion. Furthermore, evolutionists are no more prejudiced against special creation as heliocentricists are prejudiced against geocentricism or round-earthers are against a flat earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Rufus, i'm sure you've been told that one evident thing separating us from every animal is the ability to reason. To weigh pros and cons. No animal can do that.

Oh, about the Tower of Babel, i'm sure the people were sorted by language, not "race" (i wish there was a better word, since there's only one race). I can't quote it now, but somewhere the Bible says that the ark settled on the mountains of Ararat (in current day Turkey), and the sons of Noah separated and went to three different areas, which would explain mostly blacks living in Africa, mostly orientals living in eastern asia, and mostly whites in europe and western asia.

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by RufusAtticus
Actually, most evolutionists believe in Creation. It's Special Creation that they don't believe in. Such distinctions are often lost in this discussion. Furthermore, evolutionists are no more prejudiced against special creation as heliocentricists are prejudiced against geocentricism or round-earthers are against a flat earth.

We both know there is no way to prove statistically how prejudiced someone is against someone. (I shouldn't have said that.) Both of our posts are therefore unprovable and untestable.

Upvote 0
Rufus, i'm sure you've been told that one evident thing separating us from every animal is the ability to reason. To weigh pros and cons. No animal can do that.

I'm not saying that humans are not unique. But even with this uniqueness, we still are animals. Every species has its own uniquenesses, but they're still animals, (or plants, fungi, etc. You get the picture.) Humans being able to reason just makes us an animal that can reason. There is no biological defination of "animal" that rules out the power of reason. In fact it has been shown that many other animals can reason, although each in their own way.

Oh, about the Tower of Babel, i'm sure the people were sorted by language, not "race" (i wish there was a better word, since there's only one race). I can't quote it now, but somewhere the Bible says that the ark settled on the mountains of Ararat (in current day Turkey), and the sons of Noah separated and went to three different areas, which would explain mostly blacks living in Africa, mostly orientals living in eastern asia, and mostly whites in europe and western asia.

Yes, his sons did establish three different peoples, but two of them are middle eastern, the other Jephatic (?) was traditionally considered to be the rest of humanity: African, European, Asian, American, etc. Basically, the human "races" supposedly spawned by Noah's sons are not the same skin-tone-based human "races" Europeans et al. used to believe in. As far as biblical mythology goes, I think the Tower of Babel is better explaination of human population structure than Noah's sons.

Upvote 0

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
Cantuar, it doesn't work to judge a group of people by a quote from one person.

THis is not just one person, it's an Anglical bishop. I don't think people get inot positions like that by being dead set against eveything the church stands for.

I'll take your word on this, that these are the man's words, but for future reference, it helps to have a source.

I gave you a source. Here it is again:

http://www.oxford.anglican.org/docs/101618522743334.shtml

What does he mean by "myth?" Which part of the Bible is that?
Cantuar, how can this statement be supported?

No point asking me. You could always ask him:
bishopschaplain@dch.oxford.anglican.org

According to Genesis, man sinned after the world was created. Before, there was no death. To me, this sets Creation and evolution on completely different sides. Evolution supposedly works on "natural selection," so only the best-fitted animals will continue to survive. This kind of "cleansing" is sort of a nazi-esque idea.

No death before the fall? So nobody ate anything? Or were plants somehow not alive back then but they are alive now? Isn't this asking a bit much for people to accept? If you've ever watched nature programmes on TV, you'll see the struggle for survival going on now. Natural selection in action. OK, so maybe it didn't happen before the fall, but ever since people were able to write down their observations, naturalists have written about the weak members of a herd getting eaten by predators, of weak hatchlings being disposed of by stronger siblings, of predators starving to death in lean years. It happens. Nothing Nazi about it; a balanced ecosystem doesn't set about exterminating entire species; that's a human characteristic.

I think you just confirmed that evolution is atheistic. That God isn't involved.

No, I don't think evolution is atheistic. The scientific endeavour as a whole proceeds under the assumption that observed phenomena have natural explanations. That isn't peculiar to evolution. The presence of natural explanations doesn't rule out supernatural input, it simply acknowledges that supernatural input isn't detectable by the scientific method. Even in the face of a miracle, the scientific method would stop at "cannot be explained." It wouldn't say "It must be God." A lot of things have appeared to have no explanation until further research was done. Science always has to assume that "don't know" means exactly that.

But, ma'am, do you believe this is a good thing, that only about 7.5% of scientists believe there is right and wrong, for example?

Why would they beleive that? Most of the atheists I've come across have said that morality is not God given, they haven't said there's no morality. You may disagree with that, but that's another matter.

Cantuar, please help me understand how you do an experiment in evolution.

What sort of things were you thinking about? Does observing populations of fish, birds, or insects for several years under lab or natural conditions and documenting species formation count? I gather that nothing to do with fossils counts as an experiment in evolution in your mind or you'd have mentioned it, since it's well known that there's a lot of that sort of work going on. Has anybody watched a fish evolve into a dinosaur? No, because nobody has lived that long. But people have done experiments in phylogenetics and found they agree with results of experiments in palaeontology. Research in population genetics is providing theoretical predictions of evolutionary processes.

Here's a couple of examples:

http://dbbs.wustl.edu/Programs/popbio1.html
http://www.ebc.uu.se/zooeko/evolecol.shtml

For the next five or so years, i have continued to believe in evolution. As for my education, i'm no expert in science. All i know about Creation i learned from different books and films.

If you aren't an expert in science and you're having problems accepting evolution, which is a rather central part of mos tof biology, on what basis did you decide you didn't believe it any more.

No, ma'am. By "weak," i mean spiritually.

Well, obviously I can't judge that. However, when a Lutheran pastor can say "there is no conflict between good science and genuine faith" and when an Anglican bishop can, in different words, say likewise, and when most of the biblical literalism I see involves doing whatever it takes to discredit anything it perceives as an enemy, I'm having a hard time seeing spiritual weakness in the former case and spiritual strength in the latter.

Don't think i'm against science. But some of the things that have recently snuk into the category of science are not science.

Yes. But I can assure you that evolutionary biology isn't one of them. The "scientific" study of astrology that a French university wanted to introduce probably counts as pseudoscience masquerading as science. Evolution doesn't.

Just take a look at the National Library of Medicine database. It includes references to just about every article in biology that's relevant to medicine published since 1966. Plug in terms like "evolution," Molecular evolution," phylogenetics" and "speciation" (remembering that a lot of scientists use "speciation" to refer to identification of species rather than formation of species) and see how many papers come up and the diversity of the subject matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

If you're going to reject evolution and geological stratigraphy and radiometric dating and cosmology on the grounds that they contradict the Bible, that's entirely your business. But if you try to say that science agrees with you and that science is mistaken or fraudulent to promote these things and that your evidence is based on what creationist websites tell you without trying to go back to the original sources to see what they really say, then you're going to find yourself in a never-ending fight with the scientists whose work you're helping to attack. If you want to know what evolution really says and why it says it, don't rely on its enemies to tell you.

Upvote 0