Let's compare real science to "scientific creationism".

Originally posted by Joe V.
Alexgb00, tell me something, if you could? Who do you think those big oil companies hire to do the looking for their oil? Do you suppose they hire Creationist scientists who buy into a 6000 year old Earth, or do they hire geologists who advocate an Earth that's some 4 billion years old? Just curious...

- Joe

You got us on that one, Joe. I was just reading the classified ads the other day looking for a job when I came across this entry:

Big Oil Company seeking to hire evolutionists to help locate new sources of oil. Must provide proof that your assumptions about the ages of the strata conform to evolutionist dogma. Creationists need not apply, no matter how qualified.

Upvote 0

choccy

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
✟361.00
Faith
Atheist
Since I am new to this board I was wondering if any of you can tell me, where are the transitional species ...
You've probably been told this before, but I'll tell you anyway. Have a look here, here,
here and here.

Nebraska Man maybe. And Zadoc, you talk about about hanging on to bad information?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Nebraska man was debunked by scientists a few years after it was first announced some 80 years ago. The only ones who seem to want to hang on to it are creationists.

Choccy

Upvote 0

choccy

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
✟361.00
Faith
Atheist
Big oil companies have actually hired creationists. You can read the story from one of them here. Here are a couple of extracts:
Over the next several years I struggled to understand how the geologic data I worked with everyday could be fit into a Biblical perspective. I published 20+ items in the Creation Research Society Quarterly toward that goal. I would listen to ICR, have discussions with people like Harold Slusher, Duane Gish, Steve Austin, Tom Barnes and with some of their graduates that I had hired. Nothing worked to explain what I saw.

In order to get closer to the data and know it better, with the hope of finding a solution, I changed subdivisions of my work in 1980. I left seismic processing and went into seismic interpretation where I would work more closely with geologic data. My horror only increased. The data I was seeing at work, was not agreeing with what I had been taught as a Christian. Doubts about what I was writing and teaching began to grow. No one could give me a model which allowed me to unite into one cloth what I believed on Sunday and what I was forced to believe by the data Monday through Friday.

Unfortunately, my fellow young earth creationists were not willing to listen to the problems. In general they were not interested in discussing the difficulties and they did not want to read any material that contradicted their cherished position. But then I too was often unwilling to face the data or read books like Kitchner's Abusing Science, which argued against young-earth creationism. I would have eagerly isolated myself from geologic data, but my job would not allow it. I preferred darkness of self-deception to the light of truth. Yet, day after day, my job forced me to confront that awful data. And to make matters worse, I was viewed by my fellow young-earth creationists as less than pure for trying to discuss or solve the problems.
Eventually, by 1994 I was through with young-earth creationISM. Nothing that young-earth creationists had taught me about geology had turned out to be true. I took a poll of all 8 of the graduates from ICR's school who had gone into the oil industry and were working for various companies. I asked them one question.

"From your oil industry experience, did any fact that you were taught at ICR, which challenged current geological thinking, turn out in the long run to be true?"

That is a very simple question. One man, who worked for a major oil company, grew real silent on the phone, sighed and softly said 'No!' A very close friend that I had hired, after hearing the question, exclaimed, "Wait a minute. There has to be one!" But he could not name one. No one else could either.

Choccy

Upvote 0

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
I am a Creationist, and i believe the Bible is free of error. You are a hard-core darwinist who thinks your theory is without error. Otherwise, why can't you accept what the Bible says?

No scientist thinks any theory is without error. No scientific theory has anything to do with the Bible. A lot of people accept what the Bible says while not requiring it to be inerrant. Biblical literalism is a fairly modern development; people still accepted what the Bible said before that. Creationists are the ones trying to tie evolution to the Bible, scientists aren't. A lot of scientists are Christians who accept evolution and believe what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
Klamath Falls, OR United States
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Joe V.
Alexgb00, tell me something, if you could? Who do you think those big oil companies hire to do the looking for their oil? Do you suppose they hire Creationist scientists who buy into a 6000 year old Earth, or do they hire geologists who advocate an Earth that's some 4 billion years old? Just curious...

- Joe

Hello, Joe! Actually, i don't see what difference this makes. They hire both, just like they hire both blacks and whites. If you mean to say that Creationists don't believe in oil fields, i can tell you that's not the case. The difference between 6000 years and 4 million is simply how long it took for the oil to form. It's all a matter of pressure and temperature -- if you tweak these variables, you can make oil very quickly.

God bless,

Alex

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by choccy
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Nebraska man was debunked by scientists a few years after it was first announced some 80 years ago. The only ones who seem to want to hang on to it are creationists.

Choccy, why would we Creationists hang on to "evidence" that was meant to put us in our place? :confused:

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by chickenman
I'm wondering how he knows this?

Even by personal experience. I was a devout evolutionist until a couple years ago. I never knew much about the subject outside of what i was told. Creation only started to make sense to me after i watched some videos from the Moody Bible Institute and some other books and films. I now honestly believe Creation happened like it was written in the Bible.

Hope that helps a little. God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Cantuar,

Originally posted by Cantuar
No scientist thinks any theory is without error.

To a certain degree. No scientist puts out a theory that he knows is full of error. But we're human. I believe God doesn't make errors.

No scientific theory has anything to do with the Bible.

That's too broad of a thesis. Proverbs 30:33 says, "...the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood..." :) You don't think this hasn't been proven by science? I think you're looking down at the Bible, while not knowing much about it.

A lot of people accept what the Bible says while not requiring it to be inerrant.

Yeah, but not Christians. Christianity has several fundamental tenents, among which is that the Scriptures are written by God (inspired). I know God doesn't make mistakes, thus His Word can't have error.

Biblical literalism is a fairly modern development; people still accepted what the Bible said before that.

The Bible isn't all literal (even Christ spoke in parables) but it sure is free of error.

Creationists are the ones trying to tie evolution to the Bible, scientists aren't.

:) What makes you think that? Christians have no reason to trade the Word of God for a theory full of holes.

A lot of scientists are Christians who accept evolution and believe what the Bible says.

Cantuar, "a lot" isn't very specific. I can't argue against this statement. Be more specific, please.

God bless you, Cantuar!

Upvote 0

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
No scientist puts out a theory that he knows is full of error.

No scientist puts out a theory that's immune to being falsified. Most theories are changed and developed over time to align with new data.

Proverbs 30:33 says, "...the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood..." :) You don't think this hasn't been proven by science? I think you're looking down at the Bible, while not knowing much about it.

I think you're misunderstanding me. My point was that theories are developed without recourse to the Bible. The theories involved in determining how blood circulates and what happens when you grab a person by the nose were developed on the basis of observations of bleeding activity in animals, not on the basis of scripture. Their they agreement with things stated in the bible comes after their development, it isn't the basis for their development.

Christianity has several fundamental tenents, among which is that the Scriptures are written by God (inspired). I know God doesn't make mistakes, thus His Word can't have error.

Inerrancy is not a requirement by many Christian denomonations. If you prefer to think of the Catholic and Episcopal churches as not Christian, that's your right, but I have no reason to doubt their Christianity, and biblical inerrancy isn't one of their requirements.

What makes you think that? Christians have no reason to trade the Word of God for a theory full of holes.

The reason I think that creationists are the ones trying to tie evolution to the Bible is that scientists when working on evolutionary biology are simply doing science, they aren't doing anything religious, the're doing science in the same way that polymer chemists and solid-state physicists are doing science. No science book on evolution is going to talk about the biblical implications unless it's specifically mentioning creationism. It's creationists who are saying "either evolution or Christianity, never both" and who are insisting that people accept (or, rather, "believe in") evolution so that they can have an excuse to turn away from God. It's creationist literature where you see evolution referred to as atheistic and as a competing religion. I don't know of any creationists who don't think that. People who accept evolution do so on the basis of its scientific merit, not despite lack of evidence to give them an excuse to reject God.

"a lot" isn't very specific. I can't argue against this statement. Be more specific, please.

How specific do you want? I mean, scientists broadly speaking have a similar religious makeup to the population at large, although with somewhat more atheists (especially the more senior scientists). Considering that between 30 and 80% of people in this country are Christians, depending on how it's defined, I think it's probably fair to say that at least a quarter of scientists, maybe half, are Christian. I don't know the breakdown between physical and biological scientists, but the latter is certainly the larger proportion. And most biologists come across evolution in their work - many study it full-time. I work around scientists the whole time, and most of our friends are scientists and engineers; I know a number of Christians who are scientists and accept evolution, and I know only one scientist who thinks science disproves the existence of God (and even then he admits it's a soft proof rather than a hard one).

Upvote 0
Originally posted by chickenman
god does make mistakes apparently. Pseudogenes are one of gods mistakes

G~d doesn't make mistakes, He allows sin and allowed the fall. He also allows people to make ridiculously ignorant statements lilke "pseudogenes are one of god's mistakes." I don't know if it's broken or not, but as I've said before, if you really believe it is, there's one way to find out for sure. Fix it and see what happens. Since you are such an expert, why don't you do just that and stop waving your hands about how certain you are that it's wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Cantuar
No scientist puts out a theory that's immune to being falsified. Most theories are changed and developed over time to align with new data.

Sure. I agree (keyword here is "most"). But this fact doesn't change what i said, that our theories can't be perfect. I believe God was present when He created the universe, and He recorded it in the Bible.

I think you're misunderstanding me.

OK. Thanks very much for clarifying. :)

Inerrancy is not a requirement by many Christian denomonations. If you prefer to think of the Catholic and Episcopal churches as not Christian, that's your right, but I have no reason to doubt their Christianity, and biblical inerrancy isn't one of their requirements.

II Timothy 3:15-17, I Thessalonians 2:13, and II Peter 1:21, among others, state that the Bible is written by the Holy Spirit, through different people. I don't know any denomination that doesn't take the Bible as 100% true. Otherwise, it's not a Church but some kind of similar-interests club. There is a Catholic man on this board who believes in the Genesis Creation account. The way you put it, Catholics and Episcopals have no need to believe in Genesis.

I have a question, Cantuar. Are you a Christian? If not, there's no point in arguing this with you.

The reason I think that creationists are the ones trying to tie evolution to the Bible is that scientists when working on evolutionary biology are simply doing science, they aren't doing anything religious, the're doing science in the same way that polymer chemists and solid-state physicists are doing science.

Did you say that Creationists are trying to fix evolution to the Bible? I think you meant something else. I can understand why darwinists would like Christians to believe in their theory. But darwinists are different from chemists and physicists in that chemistry and physics don't contradict the Bible. If you're right about 50% of scientists being Christians, then out of the three fields, darwinism will be the most controversial.

No science book on evolution is going to talk about the biblical implications unless it's specifically mentioning creationism. It's creationists who are saying "either evolution or Christianity, never both" and who are insisting that people accept (or, rather, "believe in") evolution so that they can have an excuse to turn away from God. It's creationist literature where you see evolution referred to as atheistic and as a competing religion. I don't know of any creationists who don't think that. People who accept evolution do so on the basis of its scientific merit, not despite lack of evidence to give them an excuse to reject God.

Let's see. You said Creationists say:

-- evolution doesn't fit Christianity
-- people accept evolution to escape Christianity
-- evolution is atheistic
-- evolution is a religion

In Genesis, after each day God looks at the world and says "it is good." If each day was several epochs, i can't imagine God would like animals killing and competing, suffering through ice ages and meteors. God isn't a sadist who tortures the world.

Evolution isn't a "lifeboat" for intellectual Christians to jump over to (i guess that's how you see it). It's the other way around. People haven't heard of Creation, so that is why they believe in evolution. I can personally testify to that.

Evolution is atheistic. You're right. I can't imagine how it can fit the Bible without completely messing up the Bible.

The definition for "religion" differs from person to person. I prefer to think of Christianity and God as separate from "religion." Generally, religion is defined as a set of beliefs put there by a supreme being. I've heard it said that darwinism is a "denomination" of humanism. If you think humanism doesn't involve a supreme being...

"The turning point in history will be the moment man becomes aware that the only god of man is man himself." -- Henri de Lubec, Atheistic Humanist, p.10

OK, enough of that. Just to show that darwinism could be considered a religion, but is generally passed off as science.

How specific do you want? I mean, scientists broadly speaking have a similar religious makeup to the population at large, although with somewhat more atheists (especially the more senior scientists).

How haughty. I can see you're thinking Christians are generally stupider than atheists. :(

Considering that between 30 and 80% of people in this country are Christians, depending on how it's defined, I think it's probably fair to say that at least a quarter of scientists, maybe half, are Christian. I don't know the breakdown between physical and biological scientists, but the latter is certainly the larger proportion.

Ma'am, you have given no statistics. It's hard to talk about numbers when we're guessing.

And most biologists come across evolution in their work - many study it full-time.

Study, so they read about it. And whatever they read, they will believe, because it's from a "friendly" source. Studying economics in the USSR was different from studying economics in the US or UK. Not because the people were physically different, but because they were fed different literature. Do you see what i'm trying to get through to you? I know that the majority of literature in science libraries are good science. But a little protion is lies.

I work around scientists the whole time, and most of our friends are scientists and engineers; I know a number of Christians who are scientists and accept evolution, and I know only one scientist who thinks science disproves the existence of God (and even then he admits it's a soft proof rather than a hard one).

Yes, i understand. I know Christians who accept evolution. But i'll tell you a secret -- most of them are weak in their faith. They take man's allegations over God's Word. About the man who thinks he can somehow disprove God's existence, i know nobody can do that.

OK, God bless you, Cantuar, and have a good night.

Alex

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by npetreley
I don't know if it's broken or not, but as I've said before, if you really believe it is, there's one way to find out for sure. Fix it and see what happens. Since you are such an expert, why don't you do just that and stop waving your hands about how certain you are that it's wrong?

:) You're a funny guy, Nick! "Fix it," that's really a good one. I wish i had a good sense of humor, since few people laugh at my jokes.

God bless you, brother, and have a good night.

Alex

Upvote 0