Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
What lessons or advice would you share with yourself if you met your younger self?

My answers:

1) Marry an Asian-American (or Korean-American) instead of marrying a South Korean native
2) Go to an out-of-state college and major in Social Work
3) Don't major in Social Science in college. It's a dead-end major
4) Don't post social media threats. If you do, you will be arrested by the police.
5) Leave your father's house at the age of 18, and don't return (Your father is a narcissistic, angry man)
6) Avoid Jong K. Don't befriend him.
7) Stay away from Biola U!
8) Try to read the entire Bible every single year. Don't postpone Bible reading.
9) Don't have sex with the first woman who shows interest in you.
10) Stop trying to find romantic relationships. Your life is more important than any girl/woman.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2018
USA
✟15,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here’s what I’d say to myself at about 15-16 years old:

1) It’s OK if you want to leave your home state, but do find a school that offers programs that prepare you for practices, such as accounting or physical therapy.

2) Major in one of those practice-oriented fields, even if you’re not the best at math/science.

3) Once you get your foundational skills, seek a mentor to support you as you become a practitioner. Take notes too, so that one day you can serve as that mentor for others.

4) Pursue the things you love when you can and where you can- no matter how big or small the way you do it is.

5) You don’t know God very well just yet… you probably even made a face at me mentioning Him just now! But be open to hearing His voice wherever and whenever He calls to you. Even if it comes when you’d least expect it. It’ll be a long road- and the journey will continue for all of your life…but stay open and keep listening. Always.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MMDave3

Apr 9, 2018
Western New York State
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If I could talk to myself from even 10 years ago, I'd like to say: Don't be so arrogant. You don't know nearly as much as you think you do. In fact, you're sort of an idiot. The answers to life's question won't be found during an evening of carousing. Stop being stupid and ask God for help. There is wisdom to be found in scripture. Read it.

• Informative
Reactions: gennypearl
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd tell my teenage self to get his temper under control.

I'd tell my early-mid 20's self not to bother with certain things and certain people.

I'd give my late 20's self some winning lotto numbers.

Upvote 0

Breakaway_republic

Feb 21, 2009
Palm Bay, FL
✟15,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i'd tell my younger self :

1. Don't waste the time, money and energy you've been given with satisfying others' wants.
2. It might seem like a chore, but pray and read more often. Seek God without letting resentment of boastful and more successful people halt you. Trust me, boyo... it might get you into a few situations, but you'll avoid a lot of severe-level trouble.
3. Also, DO NOT quit community college. Your father may have foisted his school upon you in order relive his life through yours (without honestly helping you to prepare), but if you seek real believers who will encourage you to keep going and help you along the way, you'll be fine.
4. Learn to forgive others. This includes EVERYONE in your family and from grade school too... even that abusive sister and enabling dad of yours. What comes around goes around.
5. Forgive yourself. Through Christ, you're not the man you were. If you can't, seek help from a therapist (preferably another believer). You've been to one before, and there is nothing weak about asking for help. Even fictional characters like "The Doctor", Rarity, The Winchesters (and Castiel), John McClane, and Captain Jean-Luc Picard had to call for backup a time or 2.
6. Be careful of those who mistreat you, go through tribulation and/or imprisonment, then come back calling themselves your friend. Actions speak so much louder than words.
7. If a job starts to go south, don't wait until you get fired, laid off, or after your 2-week wind down period ends to start looking. Employers are more likely to hire you if you're proactive and go about things in the right way.
8. Pay off that credit card before you quit that summer job to go back to school. Also, DON'T USE IT unless it's a dire emergency.
9. Find a better church. Preferably a smaller one where people are not only authentic in what they believe and say, but easier to connect with too. Ya might still have conflict and times where you feel ignored... don't worry about that, it's life. Roll with it, adapting and improvising is one of the talents God gave you.
10. And lastly, lighten up, kid. Being high-strung, overly serious, angry, and thin-skinned's gonna cause you to miss out on some rather good things.

I agree... that was rather cathartic.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0