Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good morning and hope you are having a blessed Lent,

Καλή Σαρακοστή!

This is a link to the Orthodox Friday Lenten services known as the Akathist to Mary.

The Akathist (or "not sitting") is sung in the five Fridays of Lent, with four focusing on an aspect of Mary's life, the Theotokos, the bearer of God. The fifth Friday, all of the parts are sung.

The first part of the hymn is about the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary by the Angel. It describes Mary’s surprise at the news, her visit to her mother and Joseph’s doubts as to her innocence. The second part is about the birth of Christ, the worship of the Shepherds and Magi, the flight to Egypt and the visit to Saint Simeon in the Temple. In the third part the hymn directs our attention to the renewal of the world by Christ’s coming, and the amazement of the Angels and the wise men at the sight of the Incarnation of God’s Son. The fourth and the last part is once more a lyric and rhetorical appraisal of Virgin Mary, whom the poet adorns with the most beautiful of adjectives asking her to accept his poetical offering and to intercede for the salvation of human race from the earthly sin.

There is also the Canon song of 9 odes or songs of 5-6 verses each. The music is sung by Eikona, a group of three sisters.

This is not the full service but simply the Odes

The two main hymns called the Kontakion and Theotokion are below

O Champion General, we your faithful inscribe to you the prize of victory as gratitude for being rescued from calamity, O Theotokos. But since you have invincible power, free us from all kinds of perils so that we may cry out to you: Rejoice, O Bride unwedded.

Seeing the beauty of your Virginity, and how resplendently shone forth your chastity, amazed was Gabriel who cried to you thus, O Theotokos: What shall I present to you as a worthy encomium? What shall I address you as? At a loss and perplexed am I. As ordered, therefore, thus do I shout to you: Rejoice, O Maiden who are full of grace!