Not open for further replies.

SoaringHigh

May 7, 2009
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm doing a project, and I'd like some data on how Christians, and people of faith, feel about the legalization of Marijuana. How it should be regulated if it were, or why it should be a criminal act to posses, use or sell it.

-Thank You for your time.

(P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-category, I'm new and there are so many sub forums. Seems like it's becoming a current event.)

SoaringHigh

May 7, 2009
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By "data" are your asking us for our personal opinions? Or would you like us to point you toward survey data that indicate the thoughts of statistically significant numbers of people?

At first I thought I'd do a poll but , I felt, only having the options I preset would be to limiting, So, yes I would like opinions. If you have such a survey It would be very useful to me, thank you.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
At first I thought I'd do a poll but , I felt, only having the options I preset would be to limiting, So, yes I would like opinions. If you have such a survey It would be very useful to me, thank you.

Cannabis is more dangerous than Heroin, as it can cause permanent mental illness in young people.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Col3_11n12

Oct 10, 2008
✟15,793.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Due to the lack of self-control it causes, this is a case where the collective society is justified in stepping in and making it illegal. And it does harm collective society--not just the person using it. Self-control or not. Government is justified in stepping in on matters of alcohol, gambling, and trans fats, for the same reason. Individuals have problems with self-control, and need a greater society to draw some boundaries.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,164.44
Faith
Messianic
In just wanting the temple to be clean.. I would say NO to DRUGS

... government legislation is another matter. I believe it should be treated like alchohol and other drug habits.. not grounds for imprisionment... but rehab...

Our jails are full of druggies. I do however draw the line on the dealers.. leave them on the illegal side....

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
T

Tanis

In just wanting the temple to be clean.. I would say NO to DRUGS

... government legislation is another matter. I believe it should be treated like alchohol and other drug habits.. not grounds for imprisionment... but rehab...

Our jails are full of druggies. I do however draw the line on the dealers.. leave them on the illegal side....
I agree on all points.

Reactions: magdiel
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm doing a project, and I'd like some data on how Christians, and people of faith, feel about the legalization of Marijuana. How it should be regulated if it were, or why it should be a criminal act to posses, use or sell it.

-Thank You for your time.

(P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-category, I'm new and there are so many sub forums. Seems like it's becoming a current event.)

Could you elaborate a little. Is this for personal reasons - a school project - a church seminar?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Varik

Jul 19, 2007
Arkansas
✟7,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well having actually done it myself a few times it's effects seem quit similar to Diphenhydromine HCI. I did some heavy drinking in my past where I blacked out, hit my head, ended up in places where I didn't expect to be, and generaly made a fool of myself. When I smoked I never had any of that happen to me. All I did was sleep. Not everyone will have the same reaction to it but thats my experience. So yes I think it should be legalized. Its much safer than alcohol imo. Though I doubt I will ever smoke it again even if it is legalized unless I am suffering from chronic insomnia. But at this point I would suggest no one trys it in that it can get you in more trouble than its worth and that goes for the drinking as well.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
People should refer to the medical research, not just personal opinion. There is a lot of evidence that Cannabis causes permanent changes in the wiring of the growing brain.. leading to permanent schizophrenia/psychosis. Alcohol and Heroin does not do that.. those chemicals are dangerous in other ways, but the damage is usually repairable if the drug use is stopped.
Heroin addiction should be decriminalised, and treated for what it is; a medical problem. Cannabis will remain illegal. With the amount of money that the criminal elements of the US establishment make out of Heroin and Cocaine, one can then understand why they make it ‘a war on drugs’.. as that war can obviously never be won, the same as any ‘war on terror’.. all that serves is the US interest, for generating money from the continued criminal use of Heroin and Cocaine.
Some countries in Europe have managed to break free of the American stranglehold and developed a more compassionate and intelligent policy on drug use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

starbrite

May 6, 2009
✟15,390.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Being far less harmful or addictive than alchohol, or any other legal drug...
I see no reason why it couldnt be totally legalised for adult consumption and enjoyment.
There is some debate as to a minimum age for its use and id suggest that the same as drinking age of legality would work for most.
The phoney "war on drugs" run by the goverment has produced no results that are detectable in the flow of illegal narcotics .and in fact it is the very goverment agencies which are tasked with the responsibility of waging this war, that are involved in the narcotics traffic at a higher level.....
Thje hypocrisy has got to end sometime...
starbrite

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Marijuana, and every other drug should be perfectly legal for consenting adults. It is nobody's business but theirs if they want to bend their brains mildly, moderately, or severely and permenently.

Of course, "Driving Under the Influence" laws should apply equally for all substances, and employers should have the right to fire employees who show up for work impaired. However, new forms of testing will be required, on the same principals as the breathalyzer" because current blood, urine and hair testing only tell if a person used drugs at some time in the past, which is none of an employers business.

Drugs should be prohibited for children, as alcohol currently is. As a matter of fact, legalizing drugs is one of the most important things we can do as a society to help keep them out of the hands of children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

starbrite

May 6, 2009
✟15,390.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The same people seem to utter the same trite and untrue generalizations whenever this subject comes up...
I personally am sick of hearing ignorant people repeat the false and misleading statements that are goverment issue propaganda ...spread by a complisant media....
Truth be known, there is very little harm in long term use of cannabis(maijihuana)....and negligable addiction occurs...(this means minimal withdrawl symptoms if any....0 zero)
MARIJIHUANA ADDICTION IS ABOUT AS BAD AS ICE CREAM ADDICTION....
WITH SIMILAR WITHDRAWL INTENSITY....

HEROIN/COCAINE ETC. DO NOT EVEN COMPARE!NOR DO THEY BELONG IN THE SAME CLASS AS POT!even alchohol is far more addictive...

AS FAR AS VIOLENCE POTENTIAL ....EVERY OTHER DRUG AVAILABLE HAS MORE VIOLENCE POTENTIAL THAN POT!

Marijhuana has been used in many countries for thousands of years....
both for recreation and medicinally......

The bulk of what they tell you is lies.......not for your own good...for theirs!
starbrite

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
"Heroin addiction should be decriminalised, and treated for what it is; a medical problem."

Are you implying that marijuana addiction should be decriminalized too, or just the far more (PROVEN) harmful drug of Heroin? Just wondering. Also, what is with the soft spot for Heroin? Did you ever develop a bit of a friendship for the stuff or did using cocaine, meth, opium and LSD as an example of a harmless drug just strike you as too ridiculous?

Cannabis isn't addictive. Heroin is. Heroin, Cocaine Methamphetamine and LSD are all dangerous drugs. All i'm saying is that Heroin is the most problem causing drug in society, at least in Europe, and it is the main cause for social crime. Decriminalize it, and you would solve the problem. Keep it illegal and you keep it profitable for the dealers and the government. And no i havn't used Heroin or Cocaine or the other popular dangerous drugs. Heroin is the most controllable narcotic. The others cause psychosis, so can never be controlled, but they are not such a problem as Heroin. And i just know, from several studies that i've read, that Cannabis use in children can lead to permanent psychosis. I don't have to give the sources, it's just common knowledge.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I think for it to be called common knowledge, it has to be accepted by someone other than yourself. Any medical professional would be nice as well. Since it is untrue, you should probably recalibrate your argument. Spouting "common knowledge" that is utterly false makes it impossible to take anything else you postulate seriously. Unless of course you have some proof or studies...

The information must have not got over to the US yet.. or it hasn't got out into any publications.

Upvote 0

Yardstick

Episcopalian
Oct 12, 2008
Kansas City, MO
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The correlation between Cannabis use and Schizophrenia is not conclusive.

It's very possible that those with schizophrenia are just more likely to participate in risk taking behavior. It's also important to note that Schizophrenia is largely a genetic disease.

Cannabis is non-addictive, however even if it was addictive that isn't any reason for prohibition. Both alcohol and especially tobacco are addictive, and yet completely legal.

The toxicity of Cannabis is so low that it is virtually impossible to consume enough to kill yourself. The same cannot be said of alcohol or tobacco.

All the dangers of Cannabis are related to it's prohibition. The unregulated nature of the black market is where any dangers come in.

Recently there has been a good deal of media coverage on the fact that Cannabis is the largest cash crop in California. The legalization of Cannabis would allow for a great deal of taxable, safe product.

Of course, at the the end of the day it's just plain ridiculous for a country to wage a war against it's own citizens when they commit a victimless crime.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.