Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Dr. White mentioned on the Dividing Line that John MacArthur with his university and seminary are working on an update to the NASB. Two changes were mentioned and they include the use of Yahweh in place of LORD and slave used throughout the NT instead of slave and servant. I never understood why English translations never used Yahweh and I'm looking forward to it.

Any thoughts on this? Any further information on the update?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Dr. White mentioned on the Dividing Line that John MacArthur with his university and seminary are working on an update to the NASB. Two changes were mentioned and they include the use of Yahweh in place of LORD and slave used throughout the NT instead of slave and servant. I never understood why English translations never used Yahweh and I'm looking forward to it.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Well, you should translate what is in the text. If the text has "Lord", you should translate it as "Lord".

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If Yahweh is used (which is not unreasonable) in order for the translation to be true to the original meaning, etc., it logically couldn't be read aloud. Would the change be a step backwards rather than forward, then?
You would have to explain the logic behind not pronouncing God's name. 'IF' we are His covenant children we know Him by name, just as He knows us by name, it's a silly Jewish superstition to never speak Yahweh.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You would have to explain the logic behind not pronouncing God's name. 'IF' we are His covenant children we know Him by name, just as He knows us by name, it's a silly Jewish superstition to never speak Yahweh.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Well, it's in the Bible. We Christians accept the OT as the word of God, so we cannot just shove it aside as no longer operable.

And if we were to go to "Yahweh" it would be in order to be in step with the original language. In order to do that, it seems to me that we would then have to honor all that pertains to speaking the name, even though that would be to honor the Hebrew understanding and practice.

That's why the translations we are all familiar with went away from it in the first place, although I would think that "Lord" is not set in stone as the replacement.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, it's in the Bible. We Christians accept the OT as the word of God, so we cannot just shove it aside as no longer operable.

And if we were to go to "Yahweh" it would be in order to be in step with the original language. In order to do that, it seems to me that we would then have to honor all that pertains to speaking the name, even though that would be to honor the Hebrew understanding and practice.

That's why the translations we are all familiar with went away from it in the first place, although I would think that "Lord" is not set in stone as the replacement.
Brother, it's a Talmudic tradition, not a biblical one.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Thanks for the update. Yes I’m glad they will be using Yahweh.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have the Tetragrammaton tattooed on my back.
images

When all my buddies were getting dumb tats I went with something more serious, even though I didn't understand at the time what I was doing, I do not regret it.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that from a logical point of view liberal translations should use Yahweh and conservative ones The LORD. Typically conservative translations consider the OT a Christian book, and have a tendency to make sure it is translated consistently with how it's used in the NT. While we don't have Aramaic versions of Jesus' teaching, it seems virtually certain that he would have used "the Lord" when quoting Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mixed on this one.

If you'll recall the HCSB (prior to becoming the CSB) used Yahweh over LORD. I found it refreshing, and it did contribute, somewhat in my mind, to making God more personal. One would generally say it is honorable, respectful, and proper to know someone's name, for instance. (In terms of tattoos, you could do much, much worse! ^_^)

I do not know the specifics of why the HCSB/CSB chose to drop Yahweh, but I imagine it probably had to do with the typical translation issues. Where I do think it gets a little interesting, is why would it not be consistent then to translate Jesus as Yeshua and so on? (It's currently called the HalleluYah Bible.)

Personally speaking, slave has such a negative connotation these days, I don't see the gain in using it over servant. Both place enough emphasis on the status being below the God being served.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I found this review which raises some concern:

NASB 2020 Update News and Review - Opened Heart Ministry

Edit: it seems the LSB will differ from what Lockman will publish.

John MacArthur's Master's University to release updated version of NASB called Legacy Standard Bible

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.