1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I die daily in repentance, drowning the old man in remembrance of my baptism, hoping in Christ. I look forward to the mercy that is in Jesus, I seek to love my neighbor as I am commanded--and when I falter and fail (which I will do for I remain a wretch and a sinner) I confess my sins in the confidence that "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins"; clinging not to myself and my ability to do right, but to the grace of God in Christ, hoping in Christ. Looking only to the cross to keep me and hold me.

Do I walk in accordance with God's commandments? I try, but I fail. So I repent, and then I try again--and I fail. That is the Christian life--the failure of our flesh and the strength of God's grace, hoping not in our ability but instead hoping in Jesus. Turning not to our pride and vanity, but to Christ our Savior.

Ever being vigilant against the Opinio Legis--the Opinion of the Law--which says that I can be righteous if I just try hard enough; one who believes this does not believe in God's law, but is lawless and wicked, for the one who believes in God's law confesses that they are a sinner, and has sorrow over their sin. The one who believes in their righteousness has no repentance, they show no remorse over sin, but are haughty and proud and no good can come of it. To believe one can be righteous on their own, to be just in accordance with the law, is the way of the flesh, in rebellion against God, and to trample down the cross of Jesus Christ in lawless contempt of His mercy. Pelagianism is heresy, and always will be heresy.

-CryptoLutheran
I totally agree with your first paragraph yes repentance is key. Turning to Yeshua after we repent and accepting the gift of Him washing away our transgression and receiving His Spirit. All Biblical, I do not agree with the next part where you say you keep walking in transgression and confessing your sin but walking in transgression. That is not Biblical if we truly repent we turn away from sin and turn to God. If we remain walking in the same sin we have not truly repented of it. Through Christ I have overcome several addictions. I tearfully ran back and confessed and ran back but I had not truly repented, I was still hooked to that bondage of sin When I truly repented I did not return to those sins, Yeshua saved me from the bondge of them and I was free. Does that mean I am now perfect, no way, but He who started a good work in me with follow it through to completion. I am not saved by my own strength because yes I am a sinner. I will not be defeated by sin because my Messiah has enabled me to be an overcomer. I was given a gift that I did not deserve. Yeshua took the curse for me of my sins, not so I could continue to walk in lawlessness read what Hebrews 10:26 had to say about continuing in transgression after learning the truth.
His Word is TRUTH and leads us to repentance, leads us to Yeshua. To be transformed into a new creation not to keep doing the same sin over and over.

Sin is transgression of Gods law 1 John 3:4. That is the definition of sin so if you agree we do not carve up the law into categories then are we not supposed to do what are Messiah asked us to do weather Jew of Gentile slave or free. We repent, accept the gift of salvation and walk in newness of life according to His Word.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
On the sermon on the mount He stated He did not come to abolish the law and the prophets but to fullfill and anyone who breaks and teaches others to break and the law and prophets will be least, and those who teach them will be great? Did He not also say on the sermon on the mount that not one Stoke of a pen will pass by the law until heaven and earth pass away and All is accomplished? Last time I checked heaven and earth are still here and Yeshua has not returned to accomplish the rest of the phopecy so not one jot or tittle should be removed from the law or the prophes, that includes His Shabbat.
The Law had to be perfectly fulfilled and Jesus did that and acknowleges that. Similiar verses in the New Testament refer to the same kind of thing about leading others astray in any scriptural reference or false teaching, not only the Law. So that is what this reference is to.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
what is a dissident Catholic theologian? Is this a noun, verb or what? Seems if this were are real person you would put a name to it? Yes? Seems very odd to me. Very odd.
I am sorry. I meant to put the name Hans Kung after the phrase, but I missed writing that part.
I think that theologian is the noun, and Catholic and dissident are being used to describe that.

He is very intelligent and thoughtful man, a little on the liberal side, and while he is still a priest, he has been censured by the Church in order that Catholics do not regard his theology as authoritative and sanctioned by the Vatican.
While he has had audience with Pope Benedict XVI, the main point of disagreement with Church dogma is over papal infallibility, if I am recalling correctly.
Nevertheless, in his book "Does God Exist" he does raise the idea that Judaism and Catholicism, properly understood, do not contradict each other.I am sure he shares much in common in his views with Pope Benedict XVI (and JPII) too. These are the popes who regard Jews as the elder brothers of the faith, and respond to "may his blood be on our heads, and the heads of our children" with the theology that the blood of Jesus could never be a curse, but always a blessing, even for the Jewish mob that called for that.

You are right. I certainly did need to put a name to the label for the phrase to make any sense. The name is Hans Kung, and this is a little of the background for my statement on him.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry. I meant to put the name Hans Kung after the phrase, but I missed writing that part.
I think that theologian is the noun, and Catholic and dissident are being used to describe that.

He is very intelligent and thoughtful man, a little on the liberal side, and while he is still a priest, he has been censured by the Church in order that Catholics do not regard his theology as authoritative and sanctioned by the Vatican.
While he has had audience with Pope Benedict XVI, the main point of disagreement with Church dogma is over papal infallibility, if I am recalling correctly.
Nevertheless, in his book "Does God Exist" he does raise the idea that Judaism and Catholicism, properly understood, do not contradict each other.I am sure he shares much in common in his views with Pope Benedict XVI (and JPII) too. These are the popes who regard Jews as the elder brothers of the faith, and respond to "may his blood be on our heads, and the heads of our children" with the theology that the blood of Jesus could never be a curse, but always a blessing, even for the Jewish mob that called for that.

You are right. I certainly did need to put a name to the label for the phrase to make any sense. The name is Hans Kung, and this is a little of the background for my statement on him.
Thank you.

I had just never heard that reference by the Pope so this is new information to me.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Law had to be perfectly fulfilled and Jesus did that and acknowleges that. Similiar verses in the New Testament refer to the same kind of thing about leading others astray in any scriptural reference or false teaching, not only the Law. So that is what this reference is to.
Could you please define perfectly fullfilled? Can you define sin? Is obeying God's instuctions false teaching? I am sorry but I am so confused by this post.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Could you please define perfectly fullfilled?
Sure, no problem. :wave:

God's Word says about the Mosaic law (Law of Moses, 10 Commandements & other commands) that if anyone breaks even one of the laws, that that person has broken all of the laws. Mosaic law was to be kept completely, which means not one of the commands broken.

Humans, born with sin are unable to do this. Not break any of the commandments/commands. So by God all people are guilty of sinning.

God cannot be with sin since God is perfect. Perfection and non-perfection are opposites. God is perfection. We are not perfection.

So in order for us to be with God, we needed to be made perfect and all of that sin be gone. So when Jesus died, because He never broke Mosaic law, He was perfect and He was 100% human. And God was happy that Jesus kept the law and Jesus took all the bad things we have ever done and all of our non-perfection and suffered great pain for taking our non-perfection. Because of this, Jesus is able to give us His perfection which makes us able to be with God again. Because with Jesus perfection we are perfection and God is perfection.

So now we can be with God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can you define sin? I am sorry but I am so confused by this post.
Sin is when we do anything that God commanded us not to do in the Mosaic law. Each time we do what God told us not to do that is called a sin. So we have a bunch of times when we did not do what God commanded us to do.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sure, no problem. :wave:

God's Word says about the Mosaic law (Law of Moses, 10 Commandements & other commands) that if anyone breaks even one of the laws, that that person has broken all of the laws. Mosaic law was to be kept completely, which means not one of the commands broken.

Humans, born with sin are unable to do this. Not break any of the commandments/commands. So by God all people are guilty of sinning.

God cannot be with sin since God is perfect. Perfection and non-perfection are opposites. God is perfection. We are not perfection.

So in order for us to be with God, we needed to be made perfect and all of that sin be gone. So when Jesus died, because He never broke Mosaic law, He was perfect and He was 100% human. And God was happy that Jesus kept the law and Jesus took all the bad things we have ever done and all of our non-perfection and suffered great pain for taking our non-perfection. Because of this, Jesus is able to give us His perfection which makes us able to be with God again. Because with Jesus perfection we are perfection and God is perfection.

So now we can be with God.
OK so how I understand what you stated is that we are not perfect so our Messiah just hides our sin from God in a way? What about repentance? Are we supposed to change or we just continue in wickedness because He was was perfect. Did He not say " go and be perfect because my father in heaven is perfect?" Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sin is when we do anything that God commanded us not to do in the Mosaic law. Each time we do what God told us not to do that is called a sin. So we have a bunch of times when we did not do what God commanded us to do.
Agreed but then we repent (turn from that sin towards God) or do we continue in that sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you mind referencing this in the Bible, thanks
The Bible defines sin as the breaking, or transgression, of God's law (1 John 3:4). It is also described as disobedience or rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7). The original translation means "to miss the mark" of God's holy standard of righteousness.

Romans 3:4-7

Indeed, let e God be true but f every man a liar. As it is written:
"That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged."

5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? h (I speak as a man.) 6 Certainly not! For then i how will God judge the world? 7 For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner?

Romans 2:19-20
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the LORD's hand is not a shortened,
That it cannot save;
Nor His ear heavy,
That it cannot hear. 2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God;
And your sins have hidden His face from you,
So that He will not hear.

1 John 1:8-10

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What about repentance? Are we supposed to change or we just continue in wickedness because He was was perfect. Did He not say " go and be perfect because my father in heaven is perfect?" Thanks for the reply
Well, repentance means that we change our minds, so if we can we change, but sometimes we are trying to change but we do not. So when we are trying to change but do not, then we can ask God to forgive us for not changing and breaking God's commandments and commands again.

Jesus sets the standard that He wants each one of His Children to become like Him. That is what we are doing in our lives, when we try not to break God's commandments or commands and do it. So God does not want us to feel like "I will never be like Jesus so why should I even try". God wants us to know that we try our very best to be like Jesus as much as we can and if we do that then we are becoming more like Jesus than we were before.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, repentance means that we change our minds, so if we can we change, but sometimes we are trying to change but we do not. So when we are trying to change but do not, then we can ask God to forgive us for not changing and breaking God's commandments and commands again.

Jesus sets the standard that He wants each one of His Children to become like Him. That is what we are doing in our lives, when we try not to break God's commandments or commands and do it. So God does not want us to feel like "I will never be like Jesus so why should I even try". God wants us to know that we try our very best to be like Jesus as much as we can and if we do that then we are becoming more like Jesus than we were before.
Agreed and agreed :) Shabbat Shalom my friend

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0