Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone, I am a non-Christian keen to learn about Christianity but not become one. Am I in the right place? Shane
-
Well first thing you will learn christianity does not all agree, you will get as many views as there are denominations

Upvote 0

shane50+

Nov 28, 2023
North Brabant
✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
-
Well first thing you will learn christianity does not all agree, you will get as many views as there are denominations
Correct - the Thirty Years' War was an extreme example of that. I am interested in relationship between personal strength and Christianity

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in relationship between personal strength and Christianity
generic christian response to that is: our life is going to prove to us our personal strength is of little help, and will fail us.

usually people hit rock bottom before they start asking Jesus what to do with their life.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

shane50+

Nov 28, 2023
North Brabant
✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
generic christian response to that is: our life is going to prove to us our personal strength is of little help, and will fail us.

usually people hit rock bottom before they start asking Jesus what to do with their life.
Acts 5 describes the apostles rejoicing their own persecution. That's a great example of strength.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's a great example of strength.
sure but that strength comes from a fully developed faith and relationship with God. you don't exactly just come up with it on your own.

Jesus tells us to flee persecution. no one should desire it, but when we are faced with it specifically because of what God has asked us to do, yes you can rejoice in it, because God asked you to go through that for a good reason.

paul is a good example of someone who was warned multiple times not to go to jerusalem where he was harassed and allegedly killed, but he does anyways because he wanted loved his fellow jews, who he pleaded with too many times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello Shane! You are in the right place.

I see you're a Pantheist. Now, I contend that Pantheism is one of the largest worldviews of our time, but that very few understand themselves as such, so it's interesting to me that you confess this belief.

If you want to have discussions where we contrast Pantheism with Christianity, perhaps the best section would be in the Philosophy forums:

Or for more general questions about Christianity, I can recommend the Exploring Christianity section:

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, I am a non-Christian keen to learn about Christianity but not become one. Am I in the right place? Shane
Hello Shane, WELCOME TO CF :wave: We're glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :)

As far as being in the right place to learn about Christianity, yes, I think that this is a good place to do so :oldthumbsup:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what has prompted you to look into the Christian faith right now (I'm particularly interested because you mentioned that you do not want to become one). If you do mind, for whatever reason, no worries, I'll just look forward to talking with you and perhaps answering some of your questions out on the other boards soon (like Exploring Christianity).

--David

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in relationship between personal strength and Christianity
A good place to start might be this quote from St. Paul: "I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, [the Father] may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love."

There's a very rich Christian understanding packed into that sentence!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

shane50+

Nov 28, 2023
North Brabant
✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Shane! You are in the right place.

I see you're a Pantheist. Now, I contend that Pantheism is one of the largest worldviews of our time, but that very few understand themselves as such, so it's interesting to me that you confess this belief.

When created my CF account last night, I read through the list of Faiths, and after checking the definitions on Wikipedia, I found that Pathesism was the closest to my own belief. I have never met a single person who calls themselves a Pantheist. The numbers must be miniscule compared to Christian faiths. What makes you say Pantheism is one of the largest worldviews of our time?

Upvote 0

shane50+

Nov 28, 2023
North Brabant
✟5,294.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Shane, WELCOME TO CF :wave: We're glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :)

As far as being in the right place to learn about Christianity, yes, I think that this is a good place to do so :oldthumbsup:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what has prompted you to look into the Christian faith right now (I'm particularly interested because you mentioned that you do not want to become one). If you do mind, for whatever reason, no worries, I'll just look forward to talking with you and perhaps answering some of your questions out on the other boards soon (like Exploring Christianity).

--David
Thanks David, I am flattered by your curiosity! I have basic understanding of the Christianity after spending 5 years in a Presbyterian school, including obligatory Church on Sundays, and have crossed paths with various Christians ever since. My interest in is was weighted towards history, culture, ethics and generally learning how to live a better life. I have new colleague who appears to be a devout Christian and I was interested to compare the Christian way of coping with life's difficulties with my own. Despite having some fundamental differences in belief which exclude myself from the Christian faith, we are still human and struggle sometimes to overcome challenges. I did read the New Testament once and what stuck in my mind was the dogged perseverance of the early Christians.

Upvote 0