Midwest
✟80,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Is that what Mormonism teaches? I don't really know much about it.

Mormonism has many, many false teachings. They teach that Mormons are the only ones who have authority to baptize, give the Gift of the Holy Ghost, seal marriages to last for eternity, teach the "Plan of Salvation," etc.

This Church is the standard which Isaiah said the Lord would set up for the people in the latter days. This Church was given to be a light to the world and to be a standard for God’s people and for the Gentiles to seek to. This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life.
Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, April 1961, p. 119

LDS HYMN #27 "PRAISE TO THE MAN"
1) Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah! Jesus annointed that Prophet and Seer.

Blessed to open the last dispensation, Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

chorus: Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven! Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.

Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren; Death cannot conquer the hero again.

No, Joseph Smith isn't Christ according to Mormonism, but if you follow him and the Mormon church, you are believed to be following Christ. Their church is the way; their "Plan of Salvation" must be followed.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well I don't really like to speak for an entire church.

Are you saying that you don't know the official teachings and instructions? No one expects you to know what every member is thinking off in his own little corner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forever Mercy

Jul 18, 2012
Virginia
✟15,129.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well you can speak for yourself at least.

Well like I said this is official church information coming from me...

I'd say the church goes on to say it's THE "Church of Christ" Everything it does and has going for it tries to prove that point from "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ" to it's charitable work to its missionary program and its community feel.

We want the world to know about Christ and are passionate about it.

If you have other questions or want more information please PM me or visit the church's official site... mormon . org

Upvote 0

Mordecai Anielewicz

Oct 26, 2011
Tulsa OK
✟7,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Book of Mormon doesn't stray all that far from orthodoxy. Where the church really goes off the rails in its doctrines are the teachings found in the Doctrine & Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.

Some of the truly outlandish teachings can be gleaned from the Journal of Discourses although to be fair most LDS's state that just because a "prophet" taught "it" in a conference talk doesn't make (insert teaching) official doctrine so these teachings tend to be discounted.

If you want a brief overview of LDS teachings I'd suggest going to DeseretBook com and buying a copy of "Gospel Principles" which sells for $4.25. This book alone will demonstrate quite conclusively just how different Latter Day Saint beliefs are from orthodox Christianity. If this book inspires further inquiry there are countless resources from both inside and outside the LDS church available to learn from.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you have other questions or want more information please PM me or visit the church's official site... mormon . org

Why the PM plea? Can't you be open to people who post here? Or is it that you don't want your teachings to be scrutinized? Are you using this site as a means of prosyletization?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With Mitt Romney about to become the official Republican nominee at the Republican National Convention.

Do you think The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is finally not america's dirty little religious secret any more and is now known more?

I wouldn't call it a secret in any case, although the heightened attention might result in additional people learning something about the LDS. The church itself is reported to be seeing it as both an opportunity and a potential PR problem.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's just a different spin on Christianity. You can find official answers as well as testimonies of members by going to mormon . org

Well, no. That's not accurate to say, since what's being spun, if that's the way to put it, is a different set of sacred writings unknown to any (other) Christian denomination. "Spin" implies taking the same material or storyline everyone else agrees to and then twisting it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

bbbbbbb

Well, no. That's not accurate to say, since what's being spun, if that's the way to put it, is a different set of sacred writings unknown to any (other) Christian denomination. "Spin" implies taking the same material or storyline everyone else agrees to and then twisting it.

In a certain sense, Mormonism is a spin, but not of orthodox Christian teachings, especially those found in the Bible. Strands of Mormonism can be found in places such as Freemasonry or Roman Catholicism. The non-spin aspects of Mormonism come from the fiction of the Book of Mormon which, even at that, is not very good nineteenth-century fiction.

Upvote 0

Forever Mercy

Jul 18, 2012
Virginia
✟15,129.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why the PM plea? Can't you be open to people who post here? Or is it that you don't want your teachings to be scrutinized? Are you using this site as a means of prosyletization?

As the OP, I am just trying to keep the thread on topic.

I will create a new thread soon about my personal beliefs and testimony as I see it is an topic of discussion in my threads as of late. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In a certain sense, Mormonism is a spin, but not of orthodox Christian teachings, especially those found in the Bible. Strands of Mormonism can be found in places such as Freemasonry or Roman Catholicism.

That's true. Good point.

The non-spin aspects of Mormonism come from the fiction of the Book of Mormon which, even at that, is not very good nineteenth-century fiction.

I agree, although I think we might add D&C and the Pearl of Great Price to that.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I found is that most people have not studied LDS teachings, and really know few facts about their teachings. I find that many, especially Christians, are really surprised to learn many of the "unorthodox" teachings (shocked even).

I can see the LDS getting a small PR bump from Mitt.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From what I read, the LDS has grown stronger since the self professed prophet Spencer Kimble received a word from God back in 1978 to translate the Book of Mormon into different languages. Their growth is now 40 million, with most coming into South America, Africa and Russia.

Upvote 0