Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was chatting with my GodPapa this morning. He's still UGCC even though I'm now Orthodox and he mentioned that he'd organised some caviar for Saturday. This left me puzzled.

I remember one year [ many many years ago ] being in the house attached to the UGCC Church in Lourdes and we had caviar one Saturday [ possibly Lazarus Saturday ? ] which astonished me as it was in a Fast Period. I cannot remember what I was told then when I asked - the priest was from Australia , but the resident nuns were genuinely from Ukraine.

Now according to our Calendar [ published by the Orthodox Fellowship of St John the Baptist ] Saturday is a ' wine and oil day' and Sunday , being Palm Sunday is a ' fish, wine and oil day'

Now I'm really scratching my head over this - can anyone elucidate ? Is the caviar a 'general' thing or is it a Ukrainian tradition ?

Reactions: Justin-H.S.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now I'm really scratching my head over this - can anyone elucidate ? Is the caviar a 'general' thing or is it a Ukrainian tradition ?
it might be more high priority as a cultural thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,529.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's what I thought, but a very pious Lebanese lady seems to think otherwise, so we were confused.
I vaguely recall one of the Oriental Orthodox commenting jokingly that they weren't even allowed to eat vegetables that looked like fish during a fast.

• Haha
Reactions: Justin-H.S.
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I vaguely recall one of the Oriental Orthodox commenting jokingly that they weren't even allowed to eat vegetables that looked like fish during a fast.
haha, nice. I don’t remember that, but it sounds like something they would joke about.

Upvote 0