Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
This came up on another thread. The notion that someone other than a presbyter can preside over the Lord's Table.

A lot of the politics of this is wrapped up in the Diocese of Sydney, who championed it. They are at one ends of churchmanship and are characterised with other distinctive values and practices. Let's not dwell on these.

Why do some people believe that only a presbyter can preside at the Lord's Supper and why do others think that presidency should be open to deacons and licensed lay ministers?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
This came up on another thread. The notion that someone other than a presbyter can preside over the Lord's Table.

A lot of the politics of this is wrapped up in the Diocese of Sydney, who championed it. They are at one ends of churchmanship and are characterised with other distinctive values and practices. Let's not dwell on these.

Why do some people believe that only a presbyter can preside at the Lord's Supper and why do others think that presidency should be open to deacons and licensed lay ministers?
in no particular order:
Unity
Good order
Consistency
Tradition
Because some things are best not messed around with unless there is an exceptionally good reason to do so

Reactions: Liberasit
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What exactly are you referring to?

A deacon is permitted to officiate at the Order for Holy Communion, according to the BCP, except that the absolution is reworded to make it impersonal and he distributes previously consecrated elements.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
A deacon is permitted to officiate at the Order for Holy Communion, according to the BCP, except that the absolution is reworded to make it impersonal and he distributes previously consecrated elements.
which is the key point, is it not?

(Not that I think such services are especially helpful)

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Well, I'm only saying that that this "lay presidency" issue as it concerns deacons doesn't seem as big a leap from current practice as it might at first glance.
Getting a bit closer to the edge doesn't make the gap any narrower.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
in no particular order:
Unity
Good order
Consistency
Tradition
Because some things are best not messed around with unless there is an exceptionally good reason to do so

Unity goes both ways, presumably
Good order - lay presidency should also be orderly
Tradition - hard to argue
Perhaps there is a good reason for lay presidency when it's perceived as being needed.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

All our absolutions in my fellowship are "we" and "us".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I think for me, and forgive me if eloquence fails me, is that the ministry of the word is superior to the Lord's Supper.

It has been long the tradition, especially in evangelical fellowships, that lay people can deliver the gospel readings and expound.

If the superior part of the service can be delivered by lay people, then surely the inferior part can also be delivered by lay people.

I am not suggesting that people are dragged off the street to preside, but anyone should be trained and validated under the auspices of the bishop.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

So this isn't quite lay presidency but it is close?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Unity goes both ways, presumably
Without quibbling over semantics, yes.
But the issue isn't symetrical - the proponents of lay presidency can theologically cope without it, the opponents cannot with it.

Good order - lay presidency should also be orderly
It should, but its more difficult to ensure that it always is.
Tradition - hard to argue
Perhaps there is a good reason for lay presidency when it's perceived as being needed.
Eh?
"It's needed because someone says it's needed?"
A case would need to be made.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm only saying that that this "lay presidency" issue as it concerns deacons doesn't seem as big a leap from current practice as it might at first glance.

I have found that there is so much latitude that any exceptions are typically fine, especially if the archdeacon is on board.

The archdeacon will be looking at mission and will grant any exceptions to liturgy if they promote mission.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Without quibbling over semantics, yes.
But the issue isn't symetrical - the proponents of lay presidency can theologically cope without it, the opponents cannot with it.

It should, but its more difficult to ensure that it always is.

Eh?
"It's needed because someone says it's needed?"
A case would need to be made.

I'm sorry but having a geriatric/blond moment. My bad.

I don't understand your points.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I would urge everyone to keep this thread as one where we can learn from one another rather than trying to compete and win.

To me, I have no experience of lay presidency but I don't think I have any objections either. I am happy to be enlightened but I don't really want to be talked down to or be told I am wrong for having an open mind.

Reason is the second value of Scripture, Reason, Tradition that underpins Anglicanism.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

We have a home communion ministry where LLMs take communion out into the community.

I don't think in my church that there is any Magic assiciated with the bread and wine, so there is no pastoral advantage of having clergy do the consecration. It is just a matter of church obedience.

I will say that it is unusual to have permanent deacons in the C of E. Deacons are almost exclusively first year curates.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.