Laura Secord: Canadian Hero (1812)

S

SUNDAE

An interesting tidbit:

James Secord, of the 1st. Lincoln Militia, was badly wounded in the Queenston battle 13 October 1812. The following May, Queenston was again invaded by Americans and this time they took the area. All Canadian men over 18 were marched off as prisoners of war, but James was allowed to remain in his home due to his wounds. Three American officers lodged with James and his wife, Laura Ingersoll Secord. Some months later, Laura overheard the Americans planning a surprise attack on the Canadian forces under FitzGibbons at Beaverdams.

Laura decided she had to get word to FitzGibbons of the planned attack, and set out at four in the morning to walk the 32 kilometres to the Decew house where FitzGibbons was staying. She told the American sentry she was going to St. David's to visit her sick brother, and after briefly stopping there, she continued on the Old Swamp Road into Black Swamp. She could not go by the main road and was forced to go through the swamp in the mid day heat, watching for rattlesnakes and wolves. By noon she had left the swamp and was ready to cross Ten Mile Creek before climing "The Mountain" , the name given to the Niagara Escarpment. When Laura finally reached the top of the mountain after an 18 hour ordeal, she was exhausted and lost. Stumbling through the woods into a clearing she was surrounded by Moahwks and Caughnawagas, loyal Six Nations allies. Laura pursuaded the warriors to take her to FitzGibbon. FitzGibbon was amazed at the 38 year old woman's tenacity and later wrote:

"Mrs. Secord arrived at my Station about sunset of an excessively warm day, after having walked about twelve miles which I at the time thought was an exertion which a person of her slender frame and delicate appearance was unequal to make."

With Laura's warning, the Canadian forces were prepared and when the Americans arrived, 50 soldiers and 200 warriors stood ready. All but 6 of the American soldiers were captured and their attempt to control the Niagara Peninsula ended.

Agrippa

Jan 15, 2004
✟1,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
SUNDAE said:
I suppose it's cheesy to respond to my own post, but I thought I'd make this comment!

The war of 1812-14 doesn't really get much attention these days, but this was a clear act of aggression by the United States against Upper Canada,

Well, that did it, I'll respond.

First off, as a very minor point, the War of 1812 ran from 1812-1815.

Secondly, yes, there was a strong desire in the US to annex Canada. The Articles of Confederation even contained a clause inviting Canada to join the Union. But to label the war as 'a clear act of aggression' is incorrect. The British were not abiding by the terms of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Revolutionary War. The British were also impressing American seamen. All these reasons played a role.

Upvote 0
S

SUNDAE

Agrippa said:
Well, that did it, I'll respond.

First off, as a very minor point, the War of 1812 ran from 1812-1815.

Secondly, yes, there was a strong desire in the US to annex Canada. The Articles of Confederation even contained a clause inviting Canada to join the Union. But to label the war as 'a clear act of aggression' is incorrect. The British were not abiding by the terms of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Revolutionary War. The British were also impressing American seamen. All these reasons played a role.

Okay, so I said that to get a rise! :p Still, I don't think impressment is reason enough to attack another country: Here are two views on the matter.
A British/Canadian Perspective

Sea power was Britain's pride and glory, and it was imperative to its defense. In the early 1800s, Britain was engaged in a life-and-death struggle with the Napoleonic Empire, and the Royal Navy was the only thing that prevented Napoleon from crossing the Channel and conquering Britain.
Despite the navy's acute need for sailing crews, thousands of British seamen chose to jump ship in favour of a more comfortable and profitable position with the American merchant marine.

Wartime necessity justified the recapture of "deserters" from any ship. Even deserters who had adopted the American nationality were not immune from seizure as the Royal Navy adhered to a principle of inalienable British citizenship. Besides, American citizenship certificates were frequently assumed to be forged

An American Perspective
The British Royal Navy was a notorious floating hell. The pay was low, when it came at all, shipboard conditions were miserable, and there was the ever-present risk of death or injury in battle. Small wonder then, that so many British sailors chose to abandon the Royal Navy for the rapidly expanding American merchant marine, which offered better pay and better conditions.
When British commanders began to board American ships in search of Royal Navy deserters, the Americans were highly offended. First of all, searching an American ship was an insult to national sovereignty. Secondly, legitimate Americans were sometimes "impressed" into British service on the pretext that they were British deserters. As there were no obvious differences in physical appearance, language or clothing, the British Navy was able to abduct as many as 6,000 Americans in the early 1800s.

Upvote 0

Agrippa

Jan 15, 2004
✟1,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
SUNDAE said:
Still, I don't think impressment is reason enough to attack another country

Impressment was not the only casus belli, but it was a strong one. How can the kidnapping of a nation's citizens not be a reason for war? A government's duty is to protect its citizens at the very least. An embargo failed to protect Americans from impressment and it didn't seem like the British were going to stop the policy (although, ironically, the British did stop the policy just before war was declared).

Upvote 0

S Henry

Apr 6, 2004
Michigan
✟15,153.00
Faith
Christian
Hello,
My husband and I recently visited Laura Secord's home and the home she went to to see FitzGibbon. It was a far trek! We tried to find the Battle of Beaverdams actual site but it was not marked. So, we went to the town park and viewed the monuments commemorating it. We viewed the monuments on the Chippawa battlesite (very impressive), and met kind people and viewed Lundy's Lane Museum.
Thank you, Canada, for documenting your history!
And thanks, Sundae and Agrippa for sharing this interesting discussion.

Upvote 0

Agrippa

Jan 15, 2004
✟1,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
wildthing said:
Here something to think about. During the War of 1812 (second war of Independence)The area known as "New England" had thoughts of seceding from the union. Why would "New England" want to do that??

New England got angry with the Federal government a few years earlier when President Jefferson imposed an embargo. Since trade played an important role in the New England economy, the embargo hurt the economy badly. New England was also a major trading partner with Great Britain. In fact, New England continued to supply Wellington's Pennisular Army in Spain during the War of 1812! So, unlike the southern and middle states, New England didn't feel war was as necessary and it began to consider secession. Andrew Jackson's victory at New Orleans and the end of the war effectively destroyed all pro-secession sentiment in New England.

Upvote 0