Larry Kudlow: GND will force Americans to drink "plant-based" beer.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
...and they serve the entire roasted guinea pig on the plate. You're a braver man than I was...

guinea-pig-meal.jpg
Wheek!

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Good grief. It looks like someone threw up over a roadkill. I'm not sure I'd eat that either! The one I had was in a restaurant that had some pretentions. And it was served 'carapaccio'. On a large block of glass for some reason.
Mmm. Land sushi.

• Haha
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m not a beer guy, but I thought it was made from grains. Which are plants. Are these guys for real?

Sometimes beer has finings in it to produce clarity, these are sometimes (but not always) derived from fish organs. I think its called ininglass, it's derived from the swim bladders of fish. Mass-market beers usually use a chemical substitute, such as silica gel.

Beer, thousands of years ago, was very different stuff, less processed and more like drinking somewhat alcoholic, fermented oatmeal than the modern, bitter, carbonated beverage people think about today.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just saying the same applies to eating plants. In fact, if we ate nothing but plants, I suspect there would be very few places left with any trees at all. It would all be fields. Yes, there are some farming practices that are more sustainable than others. The reason we have problems in the heartland as I understand it is because they use the same ground over and over again for crops and strip it of all nutrients, that have to be replaced each year. In fact, the reason it was such good soil to start was because of millions of buffalo pooping on it long ago. So, the logical answer is rotating cows to naturally fertilize the soil and then to crops. It's done in some parts of the world. But the farmers I know are just holding on by the skin of their teeth now. Implementing new practices always takes initial expenses. It seems to me that nowadays it's go big or quit or just hobby farm. The small family farm has a hard time making money.

Another myth is organic is always better for the planet. Organic tends to take more land for the same amount of production, sometimes twice as much land, and it still used animal matter, in most cases, Bone meal, manure, etc. So, the vegan is still eating recycled animal parts, really.
A grass-fed sheep or cow would use the least in resources. It's also not always practical. We kept our cows on pasture in the summer, but they still got some hay when needed and grain. You need a lot of pasture and good pasture for raising on grass. I'm not an expert and I don't have all the answers, but it's not going to all plant-eating.

Premodern and organic agriculture can be very efficient, and doesn't necessarily use alot of space. Edo-period Tokyo in the early 19th century was the largest city on earth, with a population of over a million. They used human excrement and waste as fertilizer.

The switch to petrochemical agriculture happened largely because of a paradigm shift that started in Germany and spread to the rest of the world, but it wasn't without its critics (Rudolf Steiner, the German polymath and esotericist, who is really the grandfather of the western organic agriculture movement).

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes beer has finings in it to produce clarity, these are sometimes (but not always) derived from fish organs. I think its called ininglass, it's derived from the swim bladders of fish. Mass-market beers usually use a chemical substitute, such as silica gel.

Beer, thousands of years ago, was very different stuff, less processed and more like drinking somewhat alcoholic, fermented oatmeal than the modern, bitter, carbonated beverage people think about today.
*glares in Reinheitsgebot*

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've tried the impossible burger in the form of Burger King's "Impossible Whopper". I was shocked by how much it tasted like a regular burger.

-CryptoLutheran

I think it's very close but sort of a "hyper-real" experience in terms of the flavor, which might be a good thing if you are used to real beef. I'm not a big fan of the heme-iron flavor in other foods (like mock ground beef), I prefer old-school vegetable protein crumbles that taste more beany.

Impossible Burgers have a genetically-modified yeast that produces heme iron, that's how they get the blood-mineral flavor correct. Otherwise, the pea protein would taste more like chicken.

The Beyond Sausage Brautwurst is very good as well. It's good there are meat alternatives out there, and the cost-competitiveness is improving. They also have less saturated fat, more fiber, and less renal acid load than meat, which are generally good things to have in the diet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there a Keto beer, yet?
I hope not - I use my diabetes as my excuse to not drink beer, if there were a keto beer I'd have toadmit I just don't like beer!

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For your amusement:

“Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!”
You know who --
29874.jpg

He meant it as mostly a joke at least, but I don't know to what degree! lol
I can't drink more than about 1/2 of a beer in a week seems like. Native American blood I guess.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
For your amusement:

“Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!”
You know who --
29874.jpg

He meant it as mostly a joke at least, but I don't know to what degree! lol
I can't drink more than about 1/2 of a beer in a week seems like. Native American blood I guess.

I'll consume your share. :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0