May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Legalize performance enhancing drugs and drop the rules against them. Then we wont have to worry about stuff like this in the future. Humans have a right to enhance their body if they so desire. The current rules turn a large percentage of athletes into hypocrites who find ways to covertly use enhancements while publicly denying that they do. Without enhancements they have trouble competing because so much of their competition is already doping.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
]Legalize performance enhancing drugs and drop the rules against them.[/B] Then we wont have to worry about stuff like this in the future. Humans have a right to enhance their body if they so desire. The current rules turn a large percentage of athletes into hypocrites who find ways to covertly use enhancements while publicly denying that they do. Without enhancements they have trouble competing because so much of their competition is already doping.
Pathetic.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The purpose of prohibiting them was to keep people who don't want to use them from having to compete with others who are using them. To give a chance to un-enhanced people to win. It hasn't worked though. People are still doping they are just doing it covertly. The main thing that causes people to demand a continuation of the failed policy imo is superstitious moralizing about enhancement.

There is really nothing inherently wrong with enhancing your body using technological and pharmacological means in the first place. They helped a cancer patient make a stunning come back. Good for him. A lot of his peers were using such means themselves.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Our morals and ethics have seriously deteriorated.
Why would morality prohibit the use of human growth hormone or blood doping for example? The only thing that makes it somewhat shady now is the fact that it's prohibited. If it weren't why would it be immoral to take advantage of it?

Am I being immoral by enhancing my vision via the use of glasses? That may be to correct a deficiency but say they invented a pair of glasses that gave me better than 20/20 vision. Would I be in the wrong if I decided to wear such glasses? Is it immoral for people to use devices that increase their hearing to above normal levels?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spiritualwarrior77

Apr 28, 2012
✟8,797.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why would morality prohibit the use of human growth hormone or blood doping for example? The only thing that makes it somewhat shady now is the fact that it's prohibited. If it weren't why would it be immoral to take advantage of it?

Am I being immoral by enhancing my vision via the use of glasses? That may be to correct a deficiency but say they invented a pair of glasses that gave me better than 20/20 vision. Would I be in the wrong if I decided to wear such glasses? Is it immoral for people to use devices that increase their hearing to above normal levels?

Nearly a decade or more ago, I had taken a few cycles of growth hormone. Not to mention I cycled yearly using steroids. A developing heart condition, however, stopped me from progressing further than I had. Now when I reflect back on my drug usage, I realize that I not only harmed myself but also society. I'm sure you can figure out how.

And regarding being immoral by/or enhancing vision -- there is such a thing and it is called faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GNJ

Picker 'n' Chooser
Aug 1, 2012
New Jersey, USA.
✟15,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The media is doing it to death, but I find it hard to care. I'm sure there are hundreds of athletes that do what he did and don't get caught, and I think that although he was doping, there's no way that only that made him so successful.

But as I said, I don't care. It bores me.

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

I don't understand what the big deal is about "performance enhancing" drugs. If you didn't have the talent before, these drugs will not do squat for you, period. Mark McGwire cranked 49 homeruns his rookie season in baseball; do you really think it was because of steriods he was able to hit so many home runs? All these HGH do, is repair muscles quicker than it would normally take for someone their age. Granted much more testosterone, but he was giving the fans of baseball what they wanted to see. The same with Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemons, etc...

I find it hypocritical of sports fans to get upset because an athlete is taking a "perfomance enhancing drug". Think about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iamauthentic

Aug 22, 2012
✟8,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
its just a lot of hype. this is a good story but it has been blown too far out of proportion. this is not something worth all this public attention and energy. imagine what the world would be like if we spent all this time and attention on things that could change the lives of the people who need it (Americans included...)

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think he's quite a rat, especially for suing and destroying the reputations of teammate accusers, who he knew were telling the truth about him. He'd rather ruin their lives than admit he had been lying for years. An extreme narcissist.

The drug culture in sports ensures that to become successful one must be willing to harm themselves, to basically do whatever it takes to win.

It will just keep getting more extreme, because winning is all that matters today. There was a time when playing "fair" was important, but that day is gone. Same in all areas of life-success matters-whatever you do to be successful is soon forgotten as long as you win.

Armstrong is worse than most though, because of his willingness to destroy others personally and professionally to maintain the lie.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Theres isn't much to think, he's no difference than any other athelete. If he could test clean, then how many others test clean and use human growth hormone. I just believe most are using and are able to get away with it.

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I don't care much about his doping - cycling has been full of that for the entirety of its existence as a sport.

I have a problem with the bullying. The slandering. He essentially destroyed the financial lives of many people. You could fill a week of programming with all the people he had to apologize to.

Upvote 0