Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That distinction is not present in scripture. The tongues of 1 Corinthians are also called a "manifestation":

1 Cor 12:7 "But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom .... to another various kinds of tongues"

The disciples were not acting contrary to Paul's commands regarding tongues. Paul's instructions to the Corinthians were to govern tongues speaking within the church, whereas the disciples were speaking tongues in a public place.

The distinction is present in scripture because I only use scripture to identify it. Manifestation is only a word I chose, not some wooden reading. The fact remains tongues in Acts and tongues in 1 Corinthians look a lot different and don't follow the same rules nor do they have the same focus.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
The distinction is present in scripture because I only use scripture to identify it. Manifestation is only a word I chose, not some wooden reading. The fact remains tongues in Acts and tongues in 1 Corinthians look a lot different and don't follow the same rules nor do they have the same focus.

There was nothing intrinsically different about the tongues themselves. The only difference was the environment they were practised in. In Corinth they were being spoken in a small local church where the congregation did not understand the language spoken, so Paul had to introduce several rules governing their use in meetings; whilst in Acts 2 they were practiced in a public place where there were thousands of foreigners present.

Upvote 0

davp

Mar 24, 2013
Adelaide
✟10,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you interpret someone's tongues if they just got the baptism of the Holy Spirit...they are not prophesying or giving a word in tongues...they are simply manifesting the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

My first church I ever went to was when I was fifteen, a friend convinced me to go. It was Church paradise here in Adelaide. I decided to be baptized and I ended up first in line. When I came out of the water, the minister said what did you say and put the microphone to my mouth. I just replied I didn't say anything in front of the thousands of congregations. Then after I got of stage, I noticed everyone else after me spoke in tongues. I was disapionted from that point on with Pentecostal religion. It was not till years latter that God called (more rescued ) me. But I have always been suspicious of Pentecostal Christians, in fact I even know whom they are before they speak. I rebuked one in a busy hospital once, whom decided to break out in a christian song in front of all the none believers, in the waiting room! I was horrified at the crazy witness he was giving Christianity to the non- believers. That's why I rebuked him! When the demon possessed man was healed the disciples saw him sitting quietly in his right mind at Jesus's feet!- these are ones not acting in their right minds!

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0