Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know a lady by the name of Tracy who goes to a Brethren church. She is a meek and a quiet lady who smiles a whole lot, but does not have a lot to say, unless it is something good.

She was at church one Sunday and the Holy Ghost came upon her during the music service. She just opened up and started speaking in tongues and received a rather extroverted spiritual blessing. All who in the service were shocked beyond measure and they still tell her they will not soon get over it.

Next time I see her I will tell her that the very gates of hell were tremmering as well and she had a host of demonic spirits in equal fright.

Last edited:

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what exactly is speaking in tongues? how can it be sinful? and why and how do people do it? Just something I always wondered?

Speaking in tongues in the Bible is dialektos which means languages. God supernaturally imbued the Apostles with languages other than their own so the people would understand them. People gathered at the Apostle they could understand.

Glossolalia is nowhere to be mentioned in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, what did the interpreter have to say?

Something tells me there wasn't one, and the gates of hell didn't tremble, but rather laughed and rejoiced over the hoax.

Despite our differences, that is a place where we agree. The Devil imitates the Holy Spirit but never quite gets it right, does he? He imparts glossolalia unto the people but can he impart dialektos? I doubt it. Real languages are not the Pentecostal tongues manifestation.

Upvote 0

lovefirst36

Apr 10, 2018
the farm
✟10,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Speaking in tongues in the Bible is dialektos which means languages. God supernaturally imbued the Apostles with languages other than their own so the people would understand them. People gathered at the Apostle they could understand.

Glossolalia is nowhere to be mentioned in the Bible.

I remember reading that in the Bible. Jesus filled them with the Holy Spirit and they were able to speak several languages to spread the Good News. But they were actually speaking coherently just in a different language. Right? I'm confused by why Glossolalia happens? are they just overcome by the Holy Spirit and why are there above comments about an interpreter? What's a Holy Spirit Baptism? I'm not doubting anyone's faith, just curious. What happens to the person's consciousness while they are speaking tongues? Do they remember or know what they are saying?

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I know a lady by the name of Tracy who goes to a Brethren church. She is a meek and a quiet lady who smiles a whole lot, but does not have a lot to say, unless it is something good.

She was a church one Sunday and the Holy Ghost came upon her during the music service. She just opened up and started speaking in tongues and received a rather extroverted spiritual blessing. All who in the service were shocked beyond measure and they still tell her they will not soon get over it.

Next time I see her I will tell her that the very gates of hell were tremmering as well and she had a host of demonic spirits in equal fright.

I bet the experience changed her life. Would like to hear a follow-up in the weeks to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
what exactly is speaking in tongues? how can it be sinful? and why and how do people do it? Just something I always wondered?
Its a sign of Holy Spirit baptism, which happened since the Holy Spirit was sent to the early church on the Pentecost day, Holy Spirit moves our tongue and we speak the language we dont understand but actually our soul is praying to God.
Its a total surrender and we are slained in the Spirit.
1 Cor 14:23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are crazy.

1 Cor 14:14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don't understand what I am saying

Upvote 0

lovefirst36

Apr 10, 2018
the farm
✟10,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Its a sign of Holy Spirit baptism, which happened since the Holy Spirit was sent to the early church on the Pentecost day, Holy Spirit moves our tongue and we speak the language we dont understand but actually our soul is praying to God.
Its a total surrender and we are slained in the Spirit.
1 Cor 14:23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are crazy.

1 Cor 14:14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don't understand what I am saying
This is interesting, do you ask for this to happen? or does it just come out when it needs to? How do you feel afterwards? Thank you for responding and God Blessings

• Friendly
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

1 Corinthians 14 is a pretty thorough chapter on tongues. But you will hear many false theories about this manifestation. But the test is the rule by which these theories must pass.

1 Corinthians 14:2 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

You will hear human reasoning that it was for teaching foreigners, completely disregarding that it is not directed at man, but God, and no one understands (naturally). That doesn't pass the test. It is actually for praying the perfect will of God. We do not always know what God's will would be, but the Spirit knows.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

She was a church one Sunday and the Holy Ghost came upon her during the music service. She just opened up and started speaking in tongues and received a rather extroverted spiritual blessing. All who in the service were shocked beyond measure and they still tell her they will not soon get over it.

Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Does anyone know which language she was speaking?

Upvote 0