knights of columbus secret intiation

candelandsweete

Sep 10, 2010
✟7,666.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I am a fiance of a now member and I seriously losing sleep, crying, and getting sick over him joining. I need to know what happens in that ceremony because it scares me that he did something I will never by oath be able to know about. If a man can take an oath and he is a catholic man joined in a sacrament, why can't he tell his wife? I need help because I really don't like not knowing what happened at the ceremony and what he committed to or what happened to him!

candelandsweete

Sep 10, 2010
✟7,666.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
what degree? 1st. he's not getting any higher because 1st scares me and i cant stand thinking he'll do secret things again. all I can explain is that i have always been able to know anyhting about him and now I will never be able to know anyhting about what he did or what happened to him. I seriosuly need to know what goes on in that initiation because it scares me that I can't know what happened. I am making myself sick

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what degree? 1st. he's not getting any higher because 1st scares me and i cant stand thinking he'll do secret things again. all I can explain is that i have always been able to know anyhting about him and now I will never be able to know anyhting about what he did or what happened to him. I seriosuly need to know what goes on in that initiation because it scares me that I can't know what happened. I am making myself sick

I can't tell you specifically but I can generalize. It is only a few minutes long and he doesn't have to do anything really except indicate he is a faithful Catholic. It is no more serious than reciting the Nicene creed that we do at every Mass. The purpose is to make sure the man is a practical Catholic and knows a bit about his faith. We don't do anything secret except in the sense that its better for the men to not know what to expect before hand so its sincere and spontaneous. Thats why the degrees are not made common knowledge. Its a closed book exam so to speak. Just as your not made privy of the exact questions that are going to be on a quiz.

Please read the links to find out all you can which should explain enough to put your mind at ease and help you out a lot and to relax. Join the womens auxiliary if you want to join in with him. We have lots of dances and pot lucks and other things to get active in. Its a good time for all. Try to be supportive if you can. This is a good thing for you too.

Upvote 0

EmbattledBunny

Jul 27, 2010
✟1,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're right to say that you are making yourself sick. Trust your husband. I doubt he'd betray you or his Church over a desire to join the Knights. Pray about it, talk to your Priest, and just maybe to a couseler. You are, in my most eneducated oppinion, giving this matter far more thought And worry than it warrants. You need to k ow your husband. You do not need to know every detail of every momment of his life. Be vulnerable and trust him to do right, you'll be rewarded.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

candelandsweete

Sep 10, 2010
✟7,666.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
okay so he can't know what is going to happen, but why can't wives know? Why can I not know what he did after he did it. I want to know what he committed to and what he has gotten involved in. I understand the not knowing before hand makes the men honest about it, but why an I now not know what happened after he did it? It won't stop worrying me.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
okay so he can't know what is going to happen, but why can't wives know? Why can I not know what he did after he did it. I want to know what he committed to and what he has gotten involved in. I understand the not knowing before hand makes the men honest about it, but why an I now not know what happened after he did it? It won't stop worrying me.

As the wife of a man who is the in the Knights of Columbus and is 4th degree, I say, sweep the secrececy in the initiation from your mind. The saying "Curiosity killed the cat" has a kernal of truth to it, since curiosity seems to be causing you such distress. Don't allow it to continue to steal your peace. The Knights of Columbus do good things.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was a member of the Knights of Columbus. I refuse to talk about the initiation because I swore I wouldn't. But if you believe in Roman Catholicism you won't be bothered by it.

However, if you don't believe in Roman Catholicism it will bother you like it does me from time to time.

Don't worry, they aren't going to break up your marriage or anything. They actually want you to stay together. :)

Upvote 0
D

DesertSky

Wow. You may be married, but that doesn't mean you have to know everything. It's an honorable men's organization that does great work. Let him have a little space.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe AMDG is correct. Course I bet if ya goggled ya prolly would find out what was done. Not much is kept secret anymore.

Are they in there hatching up evil plans? (Right off the bat now, I can't think of an evil plan. Sigh) I think it is just a way for the men folk to be away from the woman folk and do whatever. Like little boys having a tree house and a club, secret hush hush ya know with secret hand shakes or whatever. :D At any rate the KoC do wonderful things. Good and not evil. I have seen them consistently help their neighbor - a lot of times in secret. They are a good org. and respected for obvious reasons. Your hubby has joined something good.

God bless

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mobiosity

American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.
Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Wow. You may be married, but that doesn't mean you have to know everything. It's an honorable men's organization that does great work. Let him have a little space.
He does need some breathing room. If you don't give it to him, believe me, he'll take it.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that the main reason Knights won't speak about it, is the same reason why people who went on Marriage Encounter won't tell you what went on, and its because the experience is individual and sharing it would set up in your own mind and expectation for yourself which will not be the same.

Even though you will be his wife, if he tells you what went on, you could end up telling a friend who will tell a friend and it could end up in the mind
of a person entering the Knights of Columbus. That person may then expect the same experience as your husband and he will be mislead and disappointed. He needs to have his own experience.

I'm not a Knight, but I understand the logic behind this policy.

Jim

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think that the main reason Knights won't speak about it, is the same reason why people who went on Marriage Encounter won't tell you what went on, and its because the experience is individual and sharing it would set up in your own mind and expectation for yourself which will not be the same.

Even though you will be his wife, if he tells you what went on, you could end up telling a friend who will tell a friend and it could end up in the mind
of a person entering the Knights of Columbus. That person may then expect the same experience as your husband and he will be mislead and disappointed. He needs to have his own experience.

I'm not a Knight, but I understand the logic behind this policy.

Jim

Actually knights swear not to speak about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I thought this might help.

YouTube - Knights of Columbus

Before watching this, I was not sure of my stand regarding abortion.

Now, I am. NO to abortion.

And, I just am more encouraged in my pilgrimage into the Catholic faith.

Good job, Knights of the Columbus.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I sometimes wish my husband was Catholic so he could join. [well i wish all the time he was Catholic :sigh:]
And it's a small secret - one to which leads to good.

Ladies have secrets - and thankfully men don't ask. lol. ;)

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
:wave:

I sometimes wish my husband was Catholic so he could join. [well i wish all the time he was Catholic
sigh.gif
]
:crossrc:
And it's a small secret - one to which leads to good.
:thumbsup:

Ladies have secrets - and thankfully men don't ask. lol.
wink.gif
:)

Upvote 0

wrestman001

Jul 25, 2012
✟7,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The Knights of Columbus degree ceremonies are only kept a secret because they contain aspects that are meant to get men fired up about their faith. The pope is a Knight and every parish priest is a Knight, nothing illegal or "scarey" happens. The secret of the degree is in place so that men get the full impact, and trust me, they will fire your fiance up about being Catholic and a man of God! I am a 3rd degree member, and I know my 3rd degree was AMAZING. The more degrees he receives the more active he will be able to be. I would like to firstly point out, this IS a Catholic ministry, I am unsure why you would be afraid in the first place, a priest (Fr. Michael McGivney) was the founder...

Upvote 0
C

christseeker45

I am a fiance of a now member and I seriously losing sleep, crying, and getting sick over him joining. I need to know what happens in that ceremony because it scares me that he did something I will never by oath be able to know about. If a man can take an oath and he is a catholic man joined in a sacrament, why can't he tell his wife? I need help because I really don't like not knowing what happened at the ceremony and what he committed to or what happened to him!
Seems like your mixing this up a bit, though I may be wrong and if I am I apologize in advance.

You may be mistaking the KofC with masons which they are not. Knights are Catholic and are not doing something nefarious. Maybe you see to many documentaries about secret organizations but do not worry there is nothing bad in the Knights. When I was approached to join I ask what they do and the guy said mostly sit around have some drinks and talk when they are not doing the other things they do like charity and the like.

Upvote 0