LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The company that makes Kleenex tissues is the latest company to sacrifice itself on the altar of political correctness. They have given in to the demands of the politically correct brigade and agreed to remove the words Man Size from its box of tissues and replace them with the words Extra Strong. Kleenex was accused of using words that were sexist and not gender friendly. Since when did a box of tissues have a gender?
Given the fact that Kleenex says that the Man Size tissue box is one of their best sellers, several million being purchased each year, why then did they give in to the demands of a few malcontents when they had millions of customers who obviously had no complaints about the product?
One of those malcontents on hearing of their victory said they were delighted as the words on that box had annoyed them for decades. What? A box of tissues had annoyed them for decades? It's far too late to tell someone like that to get a life.
Kleenex should have sent a box of their Man Size tissues to each of those perpetual moaners who complained to them and told them to use the contents to wipe away their tears.
I don't know what it is like in other countries, but political correctness is rampant in the UK, the latest example being a Univerity that has banned clapping as a show of appreciation and instead instructed the students to do what they call a jazz wave with their hands. They said it was for the benefit of people who were upset by loud noises. Guess that means no cheering allowed at football games next. What a bunch of snowflakes!
Does anyone else have this kind of nonsense in their neck of the woods?

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to make a correction to my above post. I stated incorrectly that Kleenex is changing the name of one of its products from Man Size to Extra Strong. They're actually changing it to Extra Large.
Now that I think of it, if the politically correct malcontents didn't like Man Size, what on earth are they going to make of Extra Large, if you see what I mean?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The company that makes Kleenex tissues is the latest company to sacrifice itself on the altar of political correctness. They have given in to the demands of the politically correct brigade and agreed to remove the words Man Size from its box of tissues and replace them with the words Extra Strong. Kleenex was accused of using words that were sexist and not gender friendly. Since when did a box of tissues have a gender?

Exactly. So I guess you agree that labeling a box with a gender is a little bit odd.

What? A box of tissues had annoyed them for decades? It's far too late to tell someone like that to get a life.

How long will you let the new box of tissues annoy you?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would like to make a correction to my above post. I stated incorrectly that Kleenex is changing the name of one of its products from Man Size to Extra Strong. They're actually changing it to Extra Large.
Now that I think of it, if the politically correct malcontents didn't like Man Size, what on earth are they going to make of Extra Large, if you see what I mean?
Oh, oh. That's "Lookism" according to the PC crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the fact that Kleenex says that the Man Size tissue box is one of their best sellers, several million being purchased each year, why then did they give in to the demands of a few malcontents when they had millions of customers who obviously had no complaints about the product?
One of those malcontents on hearing of their victory said they were delighted as the words on that box had annoyed them for decades. What? A box of tissues had annoyed them for decades? It's far too late to tell someone like that to get a life.
Kleenex should have sent a box of their Man Size tissues to each of those perpetual moaners who complained to them and told them to use the contents to wipe away their tears.
I don't know what it is like in other countries, but political correctness is rampant in the UK, the latest example being a Univerity that has banned clapping as a show of appreciation and instead instructed the students to do what they call a jazz wave with their hands. They said it was for the benefit of people who were upset by loud noises. Guess that means no cheering allowed at football games next. What a bunch of snowflakes!
Yes, there are some VERY sick individuals in this world.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Which university is that?
Not much of that here, generally people are much more respectful towards each other in a more meaningful sense, i.e they respect people as people, not as collections of uncontrollable neuroses and ‘trigger factors’. There’s an expectation that anyone who isn’t actually a child will not behave like one. Tbh I am fairly convinced that if more of this PC stuff was imposed on Romanian society there’d be a general increase in suspicion, dislike and tension between people.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. So I guess you agree that labeling a box with a gender is a little bit odd.

How long will you let the new box of tissues annoy you?
I know what you mean, but I doubt if the name was meant to infer that the tissues had a gender.
As for how long the new box of tissues will annoy me. So far I don't feel any annoyance coming on, but if it does it certainly won't last for decades. I will consider myself extremely fortunate if I manage to last another decade.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Which university is that?
Not much of that here, generally people are much more respectful towards each other in a more meaningful sense, i.e they respect people as people, not as collections of uncontrollable neuroses and ‘trigger factors’. There’s an expectation that anyone who isn’t actually a child will not behave like one. Tbh I am fairly convinced that if more of this PC stuff was imposed on Romanian society there’d be a general increase in suspicion, dislike and tension between people.
The university in question is Manchester University. The students' union has banned all clapping in favour of "jazz hands" at all of their events, Cheering has also been banned.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The university in question is Manchester University. The students' union has banned all clapping in favour of "jazz hands" at all of their events, Cheering has also been banned.

So students can actually be censured for clapping or making loud noises? Is that just at SU organised events?

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So students can actually be censured for clapping or making loud noises? Is that just at SU organised events?
I believe that the ban applies to events within the university such as debates and talks organized by the students' union. The move has come in for a fair bit of criticism, but I don't know if any action would be taken against those who don't comply.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uh oh. Next a new name for feminine hygiene products?
I'm all for it. Considering the fact that products marketed to women tend to carry a higher price tag, call thes items whatever if they will cost less.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce is probably doomed too.
Probably.

I'm so jealous of those who actually have the time -- and apparently a relative lack of other, more pressing, concerns -- to worry about these things. Can you imagine the most noteworthy issue on one's horizon being whether something's called "Manwich" or "Man-sized"?

Jealous, I tell you! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce is probably doomed too.
Now that you've mentioned it, I'm surprised that the students of Manchester University haven't demanded that it should now be called Personchester University.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Another example of political correctness gone mad is the case of a senior Metropolitan Police Officer who is now on restricted duties awaiting the result of an inquiry because of a remark he made during a briefing with colleagues.
In stressing the need for them to be above reproach when carrying out their duties he said they needed to be "whiter than white." That remark was passed to the Independent Office for Police Conduct whose spokesman said: “I can confirm that as part of Operation Embley into allegations of serious corruption and malpractice within the Directorate of Professional Standards a notice of investigation has been served on an officer informing them we are investigating the alleged use of language deliberately intended to offend and that had racist undertones."
His colleagues are furious that he has been placed in this position for using a phrase in common use that has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of someone's skin.
The expression quite simply refers to someone who is totally fair and honest in what they do.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe this has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with the company having an ulterior motive, and the term "man size" doesn't appeal to women, who seem to be the people I have seen purchasing or handling kleenex's the most?

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0