KJV The Word of God, Sword Bible

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone else have this. I purchased this recently and like it. Not to be confused with the Sword Bible KJVer Bible. This is the actual KJV, not the easy reader version. It would be helpful for those who like reading the KJV but have trouble with the archaic words. Below is a link and description from cbd.

Christianbook.com: KJV Sword, Word Of God, Bonded Leather, Black, Large Print: 9781936428151

Difficult Term Definitions
Underlined words are defined at the end of the verse in a different typeface. When an underlined word occurs more than once per column, it is defined generally in the first and last occurrence in the text column. The explanatory words are not necessarily to be understood as alternate translations, nor as corrective translations. These words, however, will often open up the meaning of a word or verse that often has been otherwise not understood or misunderstood.

Features
  • Large print—12.7 point size
  • Hebrew names of God and special word meanings explained
  • Complete Red Letter Edition—The direct spoken words of God are indicated in red on both the Old and New Testaments
  • Topical concordance, book summaries, and many other helps
  • Old Testament references tied to New Testament references concerning the Messiah
  • Margin study guide
  • Introductions and outlines of each book
  • Historical outlines
  • Unique and original maps
  • Presentation page
  • Gold page edges
  • Ribbon marker
  • 9.50" x 7.75" x 2.00"

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone else have this. I purchased this recently and like it. Not to be confused with the Sword Bible KJVer Bible. This is the actual KJV, not the easy reader version. It would be helpful for those who like reading the KJV but have trouble with the archaic words. Below is a link and description from cbd.

Christianbook.com: KJV Sword, Word Of God, Bonded Leather, Black, Large Print: 9781936428151

Found it, thanks. Not familiar with that site so I didn't spot it.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found the Original Scofield Edition of the KJV has very sound commentaries, corrections of some minor errors, and helps on the Bible, with good references to sources. It is approved by many esteemed Bible Teachers. It obtainable at Bible Truth Publishers (bibletruthpublishers.com)

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Viking I seem to have an urge to trust you for some good reason.

If you ever get a chance could you watch these two documentaries?

213B - Battle of the Bibles / Total Onslaught - Walter Veith

and

214B - Changing the Word / Total Onslaught - Walter Veith

Sorry I can't post links yet, both vids are available on youtube however.

I have the King James version at the moment and I'm afraid to leave it behind me because of the corruption in the modern translations. I like to read little passages of the bible to my children at night however as your no doubt aware the language is very archaic. I'd like to be able to trust a modern translation but at the moment I'm frozen on the spot. Perhaps this bible your discussing here is the answer and I'll accept your recommendation but if you can find the time please watch these two docs first, so I know you're aware of everything I'm afraid of.

Thanks God bless.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like to read little passages of the bible to my children at night however as your no doubt aware the language is very archaic.

I know you were addressing Viking but there are Bibles that can help with some of the more uncommon words. Uncommon words are few and far between. The ye, thee and thou play an important role. In common English we use you if it is plural or singular. This can cause confusion, especially in understanding context in the Bible. My 4 year old is memorizing entire scripture using the KJV. If you are reading it often the language won't be a problem after a while and in the meantime there are Bibles that have built in helps.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Mathew. Yes I've seen you outline this problem in another post of yours I've read. I'd be willing to give up the KJV in a flash however if I thought I trust a modern translation. I just don't like the language but I'm very afraid. You seem to have fallen in love with the language and you probably think I will to, but tbh I'm constantly on blueletter reading the new translations then flipping back to the King James to make sure I haven't been tricked, I'm like a paranoid wreck lol.

I really wish I could just trust a modern bible.

What about the Nkjv I mean exactly how bad is it?

Sorry Matt I'm pretty knowledgeable about some things but I have no base of Christianity like some of you folks have had the pleasure of, so I lack what you may think is basic understanding.
As a Catholic the bible to me was either something the priest read a little of during mass, mostly the new testament... Or for the really devout Catholic, the bible was something that sat in their home like an ornament.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know you were addressing Viking but there are Bibles that can help with some of the more uncommon words. Uncommon words are few and far between. The ye, thee and thou play an important role. In common English we use you if it is plural or singular. This can cause confusion, especially in understanding context in the Bible. My 4 year old is memorizing entire scripture using the KJV. If you are reading it often the language won't be a problem after a while and in the meantime there are Bibles that have built in helps.

Well said!

Also, I have 2 small books that will also help.

One is the Concise King James Bible Dictionary by David Cloud found here but don't pay that price. try to find it somewhere else. I think I paid like $15.00 for it. Amazon.com: Concise King James Bible Dictionary (9781583180068): Books

The other is the "Bible Word List and Daily Reading Scheme" found here, Amazon.com: Bible Word List and Daily Reading Scheme (9781862282599): Trinitarian Bible Society: Books

I'll check the videos out but it will be a few days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I really wish I could just trust a modern bible.

What about the Nkjv I mean exactly how bad is it?

I agree, I do not trust them either. I am not KJV-only though and I do also use the NKJV but you still have to be careful. I always go to the Greek. Two websites that might help are:

Online Greek Interlinear Bible

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

Along with a copy of "The Interlinear Greek-English New Testament w/ Lexicon and Synonyms" by George Ricker Berry

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok sorry I've re-read your first post. I mistakenly thought someone had taken the King James and translated it to modern English.
I can translate it just fine, it just grates on me a little at times I have to keep re-reading passages before the meaning sinks in.

I'm a little dyslexic (if that's the right diagnosis) and the language in the KJ doesn't help.

Oh yeh please do view the docs, whenever you have the time brother, I think you'll find them interesting . Prof. Veith brings the scriptures alive like no man I've ever listened to, and he doesn't pull his punches either. He African and sounds German which can be a little off putting but he's well worth the listen.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟9,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a Defined King James Bible which is published by Bible For Today. It has lots of "helps" and the "archaic" words are "defined". There is no concordance and the words of Christ aren't red letter. Here's the link that tells more about it:

Defined King James Bible

Bro. Matt, I believe I know you from OnlineBaptist forums. You will probably recognize my profile/avatar pic from OnlineBaptist (I'm LindaR).

Upvote 0

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟9,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well said!

Also, I have 2 small books that will also help.

One is the Concise King James Bible Dictionary by David Cloud found here but don't pay that price. try to find it somewhere else. I think I paid like $15.00 for it. Amazon.com: Concise King James Bible Dictionary (9781583180068): Books
You can purchase the Concise King James Bible Dictionary by David Cloud from his website for $4.95.

Bible Study

That's much less expensive than $15.00! Someone is making a profit. The dictionary is only 91 pages.

Upvote 0