Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi, I posted by mistake in the hm forum so i'll post it again here.

My cat has been urinating on my bedroom carpet. It's a territory thing as there is now a younger cat in the house.
Does anyone know of something that will deter her? I have successfully used a tea tree oil spray on tiles but I don't want to stain my carpet any more than she has. And the odor is out of this world.:swoon:
Thanks
Kingskid

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps give your cat MAJOR attention for a while (not just after she's urinated on the floor of course :p ) to show that she's still part of the family and loved. Also I would block off entry to rooms with carpets by closing the doors and keeping an eye on your cat after she eats to make sure she doesn't urinate on the floor. You can put alfoil down on the floor (tape it down) because she won't want to urinate on that.

Also you could make your bedroom floor a "play" area. Take your cat in there and play with her. She won't want to urinate where she plays with catnip and her favourite toys! :)

I would also probably check with your vet. Even though it's likely caused by territorial behaviour, I have heard of cases where owners put it down to territorial behaviour when in fact the cat was sick.

Upvote 0

Sabina41

Oct 27, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟944.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How many litterboxes do you have? Just the 2 cats, too? The general rule is one more box than there are cats. If you have 2 cats, you should have 3 boxes. Keep them well spread out through the house (not all in one room) and make sure if your house has separate levels you have a box on each level. Some cats get really picky about going into a litter box after its been used by another cat, particularly if they think that other cat is invading their home. You might also try locking this cat in a smaller part of the house with her own box for a while, take her "back to basics" and reinforce where she is allowed to go, then gradually give her more freedom again. If you actually see her urinating on the floor you can make a loud noise, shake a can of pennies, something like that to scare her, then take her to the box. There is also a product called Feliway that is a kitty feel-good pheramone. They make it in a spray (for blankets, etc) or a diffuser (think Glade plug-in). Humans can't smell it but cats can and it can help with behavioral problems. You might think about putting one in the room where the cat is peeing to try and discourage that behavior. Most veterinarians sell this product. Lastly, take her to the vet and get her looked at. If she is an older cat something like kidney problems is always a possibility, along with a urinary tract infection. Both could present with urinary indiscretion. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thanks for your replies. Yes, we have only two litter boxes and the younger, dominant cat uses both and our old girl won't go near them anymore. I might try getting a third.
I took her to the vets yesterday and the doctor detected a slight heart murmer. She goes in today for a battery of tests to make sure of her kindney function and a full blood screen.
As for tea tree oil products, if they harm the cats I'll stop using it. :eek:

Upvote 0

Femininity

Dec 6, 2006
✟7,790.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll be praying for your kitty, I hope she's not sixk.

Also, make sure you clean the urine spot on the carpet with something like Resolve, then use an enzyme cleaner. Nature's Miracle comes highly recommended, and is found at Petsmart and isn't expensive at all. The problem is that although the spot appears clean, cats can still smell the spot they've marked, and they'll go back to use the spot again. Using the enzyme cleaner, you'll break it down completely and they won't reoffend in the same spot.

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Well we took Alley to the vets and I got the results yesterday afternoon. All her blood work was fine. She does have a mass on her bladder though and a very bad urinary tract infection which we got antibiotics for. (Has anyone tried to put a syringe of medicine in a cats mouth :eek: ) She is going in next week for a scan but the vet was not very worried about her. After all this is the cat who a few nights ago caught three mice and displayed them at the back door for us LOL so she can't be TOO sick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabina41

Oct 27, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟944.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad you took her to the vet. Many people become very frustrated with their cats when they stop using the litterbox and often punish the cat. Clearly your cat was feeling pretty bad and couldn't make it to the box. Good luck with the medication and I hope she gets well soon. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.