Have any of you read any of Josh Harris' books ("I kissed dating goodbye" or "Boy meets girl")?

An interesting point he makes is that he waited until he was married to even kiss his wife.

Anyone else here who is prepared to make such a commitment?

I know for my current relationship, we haven't made that commitment, but have waited and are still waiting nonetheless for a kiss - when the time is right it will happen, but I'm in no hurry. If we did manage to wait until marriage, that would be cool.

Hewitt

God's little drummer boy
Apr 20, 2002
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟3,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many of us have read the books (including me) and this question has been debated many a times. As for the bible addressing kissing, it's not in there. Here's the deal, some people can kiss during their relationship and do so without lusting or going too far. For them, that's great and they have every right to express their feelings in that way. For others, kissing is simply the first step to other physical actions which are mentioned in the bible.

It really depends on who you are. I have respect for Joshua Harris and I've learned a lot from him, but at the same time I don't agree with everything he says. It's not that he's wrong, it's just that different people have different relationships. If God made them all the same it would be boring. Above all, keep Christ the center and everything should fall into place. :)

Upvote 0

SlowRoasted

Aug 29, 2003
Macon, Georgia
✟16,436.00
Faith
Christian
ive ready the boy meets girl book and me and my gf have decided not to kiss. In my mind kissing is not wrong, but i know i cant handle it, i would kiss her and want to go further. We realize that and have made our decision to not do it. Also it will be so much more special on our wedding day when we finally get to do it. If you do decide to kiss be very careful, it can quickly lead to other things that are wrong, at least before marriage.

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
"And it came to be, when Ya'aqob saw Rahel the daughter of Laban his mother's brother, and the sheep of Laban his mother's brother, that Ya'aqob went near and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother's brother. And Ya'aqob kissed Rahel, and lifted up his voice and wept." --Gen 29:10-11 clearly explainable by family relation, but...

"And Laban had two daughters, the name of the elder was Le'ah, and the name of the younger was Rahel. And Le'ah's eyes were weak, but Rahel was lovely of form and appearance. And Ya'aqob loved Rahel, so he said, 'Let me serve you seven years for Rahel your younger daughter.'
"And Laban said, 'It is better that I give her to you than that I should give her to another man. Stay with me.'" --Gen 29:16-19

:p

Upvote 0

Hewitt

God's little drummer boy
Apr 20, 2002
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟3,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, but you can't compare Old Testament courting paterns to those of modern days. I agree that the Old Testament is very applicable, but we must remember this is a different society and such. The Patriarchs had not even received the law against incest and other forms of current day sexual immorality. I wouldn't use the relationship between Jacob and Rachel as your guide to dating. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mrs K 2004

Dancing Through Daisies
Nov 3, 2003
Southern Colorado
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
While I don't find anything wrong with kissing (although it's nothing to take lightly and just throw around!) I would most definatly not give it up :) (It's one way my future Husband and I brought closer!)

I have not read his books but have heard WONDERFUL Things about them!

Reactions: IslandBreeze
Upvote 0

orangetang22

Follower of Christ
Nov 29, 2003
Dover, DE
✟15,192.00
Faith
Christian
This is in reguards to the scripture quotes from the Old Testament. If you want to get technical about what the bible has to say about kissing then look also at the New Testament, Judas kissed Jesus on the cheek on the night of Jesus betrayal. My point is try to look at the context of the scripture your quoting, scripture taken out of context can be tricky at times.

Upvote 0

JahRawks

Jul 1, 2003
Earth
Visit site
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree with many here, waiting until the wedding day to kiss can't hurt, though I haven't personally made that kind of commitment, it assures you that you're not gonna go to far with your s/o, just depends on the person, and how much control they have, and how they feel about kissing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
I've read Boy Meets Girl. I found some good stuff in it, but most of the things in the book were not new knowledge. I think he's a bit strict and too structured in his courtship, but that's just my opinion. I think he forgot to emphasize (enough) that every couple is different and God's design for your romance may be very different from Josh and Shannon's. I think most people get the wrong message from that book...they think it's about rules for dating, when really it's how to go about finding a spouse the RIGHT way, by not really worrying about it so much. I felt it really emphasized becoming the man or woman God wants us to be first, and building our relationship with God before doing the courting thing.

Reactions: IslandBreeze
Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus_Freak4 said:
Have any of you read any of Josh Harris' books ("I kissed dating goodbye" or "Boy meets girl")?

An interesting point he makes is that he waited until he was married to even kiss his wife.

Anyone else here who is prepared to make such a commitment?

I know for my current relationship, we haven't made that commitment, but have waited and are still waiting nonetheless for a kiss - when the time is right it will happen, but I'm in no hurry. If we did manage to wait until marriage, that would be cool.
I tell you, some of you younger folks really impress the daylights out of me.
Makes me ashamed of my lack of control in younger years.

nothing in the world wrong with waiting.
I'd say if you maange it, it'll probably be worth the wait.....

Upvote 0

PASHOK

Sep 16, 2003
CALIFORNIA
Visit site
✟8,397.00
Faith
Christian
I knew my wife for 2 years before we got married, and we saved that first kiss for the special day, that way it would be more symbolic and special.

Bible does not forbid kissing befor marriage, however it tells us to use common sence.

1 Korinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brough under the power of any.
1 Kor. 10:23
All thing are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Upvote 0