Targ

Sep 4, 2010
NSW, Australia
✟8,418.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
So the unicorn gave birth to the predator and his prey? Kin predating on kin? You are depicting your god really as a psychopath. :doh:

"Unicorns" don't exist in any major translation after the KJV (of the Bibles I have access to, anyway). All modern versions translate it as "wild ox". There's little evidence that ancient Hebrew and Mesopotamian cultures had ideas of unicorns. Unicorns appear to have only become a popular image during the rise of the Grecian empire and therefore it would be anachronistic to translate a word from ancient Hebrew as "unicorn". Likewise with satyr, all modern versions have "wild goat".

The Hebrew words may have adopted those meanings (unicorn and satyr) later on, but at the time the Bible was written they would not have had those meanings, which is why you will not find mention of either in any modern versions, including the NKJV.

Not that this makes much difference to KJVOs like AVET, but anyway. :p

Upvote 0
Yes

Would that really matter?

I 'concocted' a belief in kinds the minute I saw that word in Genesis 1.

I suppose it would matter to me because it would mean that you draw some kind of line between your imagination and the world at large. But it seems like, from this thread at least, that you're willing to invent any number of explanations as soon as you feel that they're needed, while simultaneously professing greater accuracy than people who explicitly interpret the bible.

I am sorry you're not interested in answering my questions. Would you share some thoughts on which lines of questioning you would be interested in answering (eg, "I'd like to discuss how 'kind' chromosomes mutate as opposed ot modern day chromosomes" or "let's speculate on how many kinds there actually were," etc.) as I'm not really sure what you're interested in discussing.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
"Unicorns" don't exist in any major translation after the KJV (of the Bibles I have access to, anyway). All modern versions translate it as "wild ox". There's little evidence that ancient Hebrew and Mesopotamian cultures had ideas of unicorns. Unicorns appear to have only become a popular image during the rise of the Grecian empire and therefore it would be anachronistic to translate a word from ancient Hebrew as "unicorn". Likewise with satyr, all modern versions have "wild goat".

The Hebrew words may have adopted those meanings (unicorn and satyr) later on, but at the time the Bible was written they would not have had those meanings, which is why you will not find mention of either in any modern versions, including the NKJV.

Not that this makes much difference to KJVOs like AVET, but anyway. :p

Of course, weren't unicorns prominent symbols of Jesus in Medieval artwork as well? More material for King James' translators to draw inspiration from.

Not for nothing is a group of unicorns called a "blessing."

Upvote 0

Targ

Sep 4, 2010
NSW, Australia
✟8,418.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure about in pictures of Jesus, but unicorns were certainly popular images in Medieval times, including on shields. Originally unicorns were actually pictures of bulls in profile where only one horn was visible with the other one hidden behind it. Over time this got turned into the image a creature that did actually only have one horn and at some point it was changed from a bull to a horse like creature.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure about in pictures of Jesus, but unicorns were certainly popular images in Medieval times, including on shields. Originally unicorns were actually pictures of bulls in profile where only one horn was visible with the other one hidden behind it. Over time this got turned into the image a creature that did actually only have one horn and at some point it was changed from a bull to a horse like creature.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You just confirmed Targ's point.
Specifically, Hallmark and medieval paintings and drawings influencing what we think of certain creatures from the Bible.
Namely (in this case), the Unicorn and the Cherub

Glad to see you agreeing with Targ on this point AV:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You just confirmed Targ's point.
Specifically, Hallmark and medieval paintings and drawings influencing what we think of certain creatures from the Bible.
Namely (in this case), the Unicorn and the Cherub

Glad to see you agreeing with Targ on this point AV:thumbsup:
I absolutely agree with Targ on this point; and it's a crying shame.

Upvote 0

Nostromo

Brian Blessed can take a hike
Nov 19, 2009
Yorkshire
✟17,838.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm hoping to show that not nearly -- (not even close to...) -- as many animals had to board the Ark as some think.
I don't see why you've bothered to bring this up because it doesn't really 'show' anything. I'm sure you'd be quite happy arguing that Noah could take a brick aboard a dinghy and still create from it all the life we see now.

One miracle doesn't make it easier to understand than another miracle, as both are practically impossible.

I don't gain any more from thinking about God creating all life from 6 fantasy animals than I do from thinking about him cramming 10 million species into a 500ft box.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't gain any more from thinking about God creating all life from 6 fantasy animals than I do from thinking about him cramming 10 million species into a 500ft box.
Well, for those who do -- this one's for them.

Upvote 0

Targ

Sep 4, 2010
NSW, Australia
✟8,418.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely agree with Targ on this point; and it's a crying shame.

You mean you agree that the KJV translators were wrong to use the words unicorn and satyr? Because if you agree that the unicorn was originally a bull in profile, then "uni-corn" ("one-horn") is not an appropriate name for that creature.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm hoping to show that not nearly -- (not even close to...) -- as many animals had to board the Ark as some think.

Except you can't do that without defining "Kind," which you've already said cannot be done.

But then again, this isn't about Noah -- as always, it's about you, isn't it?

DNFTAV.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,760.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Except you can't do that without defining "Kind," which you've already said cannot be done.

But then again, this isn't about Noah -- as always, it's about you, isn't it?

DNFTAV.
DNFTAV ?

I'm sure many people here don't know what it means, but are too shy to ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well yes I know that, I'm just confused about what you were agreeing with. Don't get me wrong, I like it when people agree with me, but with you, your agreements tend to have me suspicious. :p;)
You guys will never understand me until you learn to act right.

Ridiculing what I say, making jokes, automatically disagreeing -- even when you don't know what you're disagreeing about, snubbing basic doctrine, calling us what we aren't and coming here with holier-than-thou attitudes -- it's no wonder you're suspicious & confused.

Upvote 0

Targ

Sep 4, 2010
NSW, Australia
✟8,418.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You guys will never understand me until you learn to act right.

Ridiculing what I say, making jokes, automatically disagreeing -- even when you don't know what you're disagreeing about, snubbing basic doctrine, calling us what we aren't and coming here with holier-than-thou attitudes -- it's no wonder you're suspicious & confused.

This hissy fit doesn't answer my question.

Upvote 0