Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

My scripture reference is Col 3:1-17.

I’d like to hear from people their experience as a Christian in crucifying their flesh daily. Practically… I can knock my flesh on the ground for a bit, but by and large I’m the one giving into sin and obeying it instead.

Just wanted to hear your life experience, what has worked, what has not, how you win the daily battle, and what the Christian experience looks like.

Thank you,

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For myself, I've learned a lot from the EO hesychasts, and from contemplatives in general. They understand that the mind is the gateway to the heart. And the passions, i.e. desires, are aroused when we don't guard our hearts.

If I want to control the flesh, I have to watch that to which I give my attention. Nothing ever enters the heart and stirs desire unless I have first given it space in my mind.

"Because every thought enters the heart in the form of a mental image of some sensible object, the blessed light of the Divinity will illumine the heart only when the heart is completely empty of everything and so free from all form. Indeed, this light reveals itself to the pure intellect in the measure to which the intellect is purged of all concepts." St. Hesychios the Priest.

"A pure heart is one that offers the mind to God free of all image and form, and ready to be imprinted only with his own archetypes, by which God himself is made manifest...Love and genuine affection-that is, faith and a clear conscience- are clearly the result of a hidden impulse of the heart, for the heart is fully able to generate without using external matter." St. Maximos the Confessor

Sitting in the stillness and silence while invoking the name of Christ will do more to control the flesh than any other effort. This I know from experience.

"Attentiveness is the heart's stillness, unbroken by any thought. In this stillness the heart breathes and invokes, endlessly and without ceasing, only Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God and himself God." St. Hesychios the Priest

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The single practice that I have found to be the most effective is to know that God is faithful to provide a way of escape from every temptation.
1 Corinthians 10:13
13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it.

When tempted, I do what Jesus did: "It is written...."
I look for the escape God has provided.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well this battle with the flesh will only stop after this life after this flesh will be changed and we will be as He is. Till then its a daily walk fight. As our brother Paul said.. what I want to do I don't do and the things I don't want to do I do. Its no longer I that sin but sin that is in me. We put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. We renew our minds always and put off the old man. OH I wish it was once and only once yet.. nope. Oh but PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS greater is He that is in us then he thats in the world. And we can not walk this walk with out Christ in us. We let Him lead guide us (Sweet sweet holy Spirit). When we go first.. oops trip fall.. He smiles reaches down picks us up ever time. Every time it for me hurts since how can He still smile and love grace mercy forgiveness. When we would in a heart beat give up on someone that keeps falling but not Him.. He is praise God not like man. Never ever gives up on us. Always with us IN US>

Sorry got lost there.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember, " Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God".
a Christian must remember spiritual food which is the word of God.
John 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life".
And having enough sense to work safeguarding the mind against wickedness.

2 Cor. 10:5
Mark 7: 20-23

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2021
Sao Jose dos Campos
✟16,572.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

My scripture reference is Col 3:1-17.

I’d like to hear from people their experience as a Christian in crucifying their flesh daily. Practically… I can knock my flesh on the ground for a bit, but by and large I’m the one giving into sin and obeying it instead.

Just wanted to hear your life experience, what has worked, what has not, how you win the daily battle, and what the Christian experience looks like.

Thank you,
The first thing to realise is you were buried with Christ in his death in baptism. Second, the war with the flesh will never stop till we leave this body so it is not abnormal for your body to want sin. Thirdly you can never overcome the flesh on your own without the Holy Spirit it is not even worth trying. If it is an addiction you should surrender it to God knowing that only He can deliver you. If the addiction is that bad try fasting it will starve the wicked flesh, can't party on an empty stomach now can you?

There is no amount of sin that will make God love you any less, His love does not depend on your performance but solely on His grace and goodness. As soon as you realise you have fallen immediately go back to God and confess it, name the sin you will realise how serious it is when you say it with your own mouth. Also, look for someone to confide in preferably older and more mature in the faith. The devil will use sin to separate you from God but don't let it. Granted after you have sinned you cannot make yourself clean only He can so rather run to Him.

Identify the triggers for your flesh if it is certain places you have to stop visiting or if you need to delete your social media do whatever you can to clear your head. Most addictions are driven by stress and loneliness and the irony is that the shame and guilt push you away from the very people who could actually help you. By all means, avoid being by yourself if it means moving in with friends or back home then do it. Lastly, prioritise reading the word and prayer it's so important. That is how I am overcoming my sin

Upvote 0