Cartersville, Georgia
✟467.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
as a "new christian", i still possess some really bad habits that i want to kick but i am having a REALLY hard time of it.i am a smoker(18years),which i am getting the stuff to help kick that disgusting habit.then, there is the cursing...when i am around other people that i know don't curse then i am able to watch my mouth.but when i am working by myself or talking to someone who curses,then my tongue gets going.however, i am catching myself more often and i got quite offended a few days ago when someone took our Lord's name in vain.

i guess what this boils down to is,can anyone give me any advice on totally kicking my cursing habit? i am eventually going to kick all my bad habits but it will take alot of work and alot of time.but God is definitely in my life and working hard to get me the way he wants me.the way i need to be.the way I WANT to be. 

thanks!! :help: :pray:  

Welcome to the realm of believers! :) It's good to hear that you want to hold yourself accountable.

I'm sure you've heard about nicotine gum and patches that gradually wean you off of cigarettes. Also, avoid people, places, and situations where you might feel tempted.

You might also avoid people who curse. It's a matter of watching your tongue. Try to think of other words to substitute profanity, and make an effort to use those instead.

Upvote 0

mixaleena

Feb 17, 2003
Visit site
✟15,377.00
Faith
Christian
Can't help you with the smoking part, I was HIGHLY convicted and after 8 years of heavy smoking I quit cold turkey a week after I got saved and don't even have a craving. My only advice there is pray, pray and more pray...:)

Cursing was one of my biggest ones. Even now (after 2 years) I curse in my head, but immediately ask forgiveness...and they NEVER come out of my mouth.

This is how I did it...

I replaced 's' word with 'poop!' Try it, it will make you laugh. (That is as long as you have a sense of humor...) ;) My husbands favorite for this word was shpoopiestinkers.
I replaced 'f' word with words equally as silly (e.g. fudgemuffin).

After a while of saying those things and sounding really silly I just stopped them before they even came out. Also great anger relief...It worked for me. Now swearing actually makes me jump because I am so used to not hearing it. Someone using God's name in vain makes me cringe. Needless to say I never watch primetime television. :D

Also I told people around me that this was a goal. So it became kind of a game and it worked out real well for me. I simply asked some to not swear around me, and some just stopped out of respect but that doesn't work with everyone. I am still working on getting words out of my head and I have made ALOT of progress since 2 years ago. In the beginning when I would get real mad they would just come out...now as I said...they NEVER come out and alot of the time the replacements are the ones in my head. Praise God.

Praying for you.

Mixee. :)

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome to the Family of God dreamcatcher! :wave:

I, for the same reasons as you, wanted to quit smoking and did! I call it the Prayer and Patches plan. If it wasn't for God, I don't think I could have ever quit on my own. I just kept telling myself. How can I tell others all they need is Jesus and then fire up a cigarette. Now I'm not juding anyone who may smoke, but that was just my conviction. God bless and I know you can quit. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but you can do it dreamcatcher with Him.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the family dreamcatcher
I quit smoking for 17 years and then staarted again. It is truly hard. I have found that God wants to replace my addiction with an addiction and hunger for Him. So by Easter Monday I will quit cold turkey. I will pray for you please pray for me. I know by His power and conviction I can do it with Christ who strengthens me. We never know all of the wisdom of God but we know we are forgiven and He loves us. Set your pace through prayer and always be patient because God is never finished with us. God Bless You Dreamcatcher.

Upvote 0

dreamcatcher

God Chaser
Mar 15, 2003
Cartersville, Georgia
✟467.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
14th April 2003 at 09:12 PM mixaleena said this in Post #4

Can't help you with the smoking part, I was HIGHLY convicted and after 8 years of heavy smoking I quit cold turkey a week after I got saved and don't even have a craving. My only advice there is pray, pray and more pray...:)

Cursing was one of my biggest ones. Even now (after 2 years) I curse in my head, but immediately ask forgiveness...and they NEVER come out of my mouth.

This is how I did it...

I replaced 's' word with 'poop!' Try it, it will make you laugh. (That is as long as you have a sense of humor...) ;) My husbands favorite for this word was shpoopiestinkers.
I replaced 'f' word with words equally as silly (e.g. fudgemuffin).

After a while of saying those things and sounding really silly I just stopped them before they even came out. Also great anger relief...It worked for me. Now swearing actually makes me jump because I am so used to not hearing it. Someone using God's name in vain makes me cringe. Needless to say I never watch primetime television. :D

Also I told people around me that this was a goal. So it became kind of a game and it worked out real well for me. I simply asked some to not swear around me, and some just stopped out of respect but that doesn't work with everyone. I am still working on getting words out of my head and I have made ALOT of progress since 2 years ago. In the beginning when I would get real mad they would just come out...now as I said...they NEVER come out and alot of the time the replacements are the ones in my head. Praise God.

Praying for you.

Mixee. :)

mixaleena,

i try to stop the words before they come out but alot of times my mouth is ALOT faster than my brain!! BUT i have never tried using silly words.that is an awesome plan! :clap:  do you think your husband would mind if i used "shpoopiestinkers"? that is so funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreamcatcher

God Chaser
Mar 15, 2003
Cartersville, Georgia
✟467.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
15th April 2003 at 11:34 PM daisy314 said this in Post #8

Welcome to the family dreamcatcher
I quit smoking for 17 years and then staarted again. It is truly hard. I have found that God wants to replace my addiction with an addiction and hunger for Him. So by Easter Monday I will quit cold turkey. I will pray for you please pray for me. I know by His power and conviction I can do it with Christ who strengthens me. We never know all of the wisdom of God but we know we are forgiven and He loves us. Set your pace through prayer and always be patient because God is never finished with us. God Bless You Dreamcatcher.

daisy314,

:idea: i have just talked it over with my wife,(2p.m. pst April 17th) and if it is ok with you,how about the 3 of us pray for each other and all of us  go cold turkey on Easter monday? and you and i can keep each other posted on our progress. :idea:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.