Kevin Costner = Bad Actor

S

StuckRags

I'm probably a little slow on the uptake, but I've just come to the realization that Kevin Costner is, in fact, a bad actor. I think what has kept me from this revelation is that I've had some preconceived notion that if you are a major star, you are a good actor. Uh-uh. He really stinks. He plays the same character everytime - if you can call that a "character." He always sounds like a 14-year-old teenager reading script. Close your eyes and listen to him next time you rent one of his videos - especially Robin Hood or Wyatt Earp.

He's a fine example of how far you can get on looks and marketing.

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I gotta tell you, I've been thinking this for such a long time. His performance in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was a felony. He talked in a bad English accent for half of the movie and his regular voice in the rest. The only two movies that he had great performances in was Dances with Wolves and Field of Dreams (one of my very favorites!).

Upvote 0

Dr Majestic

Jul 8, 2004
UK
Visit site
✟7,851.00
Faith
Christian
Kevin Costner isnt a bad actor cause some of his films have went bad at the box office. He also isnt the best actor as well.

He does have good ideas for his movies and has the character to make them, like waterworld and the postman even if they dont do well at the box office.

Dances with Wolves is one of my best movies, the last time I watched a Kevin Costner move was a few weeks ago called Open Range directed by Kevin Costner and co staring Robert Duvall.

Thats his latest at the moment if I am correct.

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't think Costner is that bad really. I mean if you look at his performance in JFK, you'll see quite clearly how good he is in bringing 'gravitas' to a role. In JFK, the producers needed someone like Costner to give the feeling that the role he plays as an investigator should not be consigned to some very special person but any one can do it as long as he's interested in finding out the truth. I think a lot of AMericans wanted to find out the truth behind Kennedy's assasination. What Costner did in JFK was to convey that feeling to a global audience. It would not have worked if Tom Hanks were to do that role because that would be too pretentious.

Upvote 0
S

StuckRags

SoupySayles said:
You can say he's a bad actor, but he's been in 3 of the classic films of the past 25 years: Dances With Wolves, Field Of Dreams, and The Untouchables. He was pretty good in all 3.
You're sort of making my point that you don't have to be good to be successful in the film industry - any industry for that matter. I've had several managers in my industry that were not there because they were good.

Certainly, Costner's one-trick-pony character depiction will fit quite nicely into some films. But he should stop doing roles that require eloquent vocabulary (Robin Hood, Wyatt Earp, etc.).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always thought that. He was good in dances with wolves though and field of dreams. He just seems so stiff and wooden to me. Message in a bottle was by far the worst movie he has been in. I wanted to leave the theater. The movie wassn't that great to begin with, and his performance was just extra horrible.

Upvote 0

Brentley20

Aug 19, 2004
✟7,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know, a lot of people rag on Kevin Costner for being a horrible actor. I don't think it's true, I think he is just a very mediocre actor. That being said, he has been in a lot of great movies. I think he does well in epic type films were his character is kind of a solemn person, maybe a bit grim, and doesn't talk that much. Examples being Wyatt Earp, Dances with Wolves, and Open Range.

This reminds me of the Family guy Episode where Chris says: "I haven't been this confused since I saw Waterworld" Then it flashes back to a clip of him walking out of the theater and he says in a sort of a tortured tone: "How does Kevin Costner keep getting work?!?!"

Upvote 0