Massachusetts
✟343,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The constitution is our Caesar. Hovind sincerely believed he was obeying Caesar.
What is the evidence for his sincerity? Does it lie in his paying workers, giving them regular hours, time cards and sick days, but then announcing that they weren't employees and therefore he didn't have to withhold taxes? Does it lie in the numerous withdrawals he made just under the reporting limit to avoid detection? Was his claim that he had beaten the tax system the clue?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have heard the naysayers and accusers:
Yhy are they all showing so much ... aside from the word hatred I don't know what to call it.
Hovind was railroaded.
The Infernal Revenue Robbers were not supposed to tax him; his religious organization .

He was running a business, not a church. Case closed.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You keep avoiding this simple point, but having certain beliefs about government and taxes is not sin. In fact most think Hovind was just plain stupid for the beliefs he had and that it wouldn't work out this way, but you're taking it a step further by proclaiming form the heights of Olympus that God is upset with him. The truth is, you're probably upsetting God more than Hovind is.

Say what you will about the guy, he is sincere. I can't say the same for you.

Do you even know me?

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you pay tax to a document?

You pay them to people who acknowledge the authority of that document. All of our government leaders swear to uphold the constitution. It is the authority of our land. It is our Caesar.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You pay them to people who acknowledge the authority of that document. All of our government leaders swear to uphold the constitution. It is the authority of our land. It is our Caesar.
Then where do all the changes to the constitution come from? If the constitution can be amended, then it isn't quite the Caesar you make it out to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then where do all the changes to the constitution come from? If the constitution can be amended, then it isn't quite the Caesar you make it out to be.

The constitution itself allows for amendments. It's not a problem. It is the authoritative document that all government leader elects promise to uphold. Hovind thought he was in the right. I frankly think he made terrible mistake. But I can't say he's a sinner and dance in front of his jail cell as mr. crawfish is doing. I'm just say'n.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The constitution itself allows for amendments. It's not a problem. It is the authoritative document that all government leader elects promise to uphold. Hovind thought he was in the right. I frankly think he made terrible mistake. But I can't say he's a sinner and dance in front of his jail cell as mr. crawfish is doing. I'm just say'n.
So does the Constitution allow for government leader to make new laws and for the courts that interpret these laws and the constitution itself? Does the constitution itself authorise the rulers and judges that Hovind disobeyed? When Jesus said render unto Caesar did he mean travel to Rome and pay the tax to him in person, or did it include Caesar's legally appointed representatives?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟343,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
None of us are without sin.
I just know he was railroaded.
He was unjustly incarserated.
I posted the reason. Several times.
Your posted reason was wrong. Religious organizations have to withhold taxes from their employees salaries just like every other organization that pays salaries. And religious organization have no exemption that permits them to engage in structuring their money transactions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your posted reason was wrong. Religious organizations have to withhold taxes from their employees salaries just like every other organization that pays salaries. And religious organization have no exemption that permits them to engage in structuring their money transactions.

Not that I'm defending him, but the structuring charges were bogus. Tax evasion I'm not so sure. (Haven't really looked into it that far)

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why were they bogus?

Because structuring is a catch all law to catch drug cartels moving and laundering money. Last I had seen the prosecution had to go way outside the limitations of time to find three instances to consider the bank transactions as structuring. I think in this regard they knew their case was a bit shaky so they tried to add a little weight to it.

Upvote 0