Keep "The Passion" alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
patriarch said:
Look, this movie is to movies as the Bible is to books.

Secondly, keeping this film in the theater makes the central message of the scriptures much more accessible to the public at large, many of whom are illiterate or functionally illiterate.

Thirdly, I've read through many-maybe 600- user reviews at the yahoo page for "The Passion of Christ." Many of them say that they have read the scriptures for years, and some of them have even made themselves experts on the topic of the Lord's passion and death, but this movie brought those words to life in a very vivid way.

Fourthly, there have been many great preachers from the time of the Apostles till now, but none of them have ever been able to preach a sermon on the Passion so vivid as this...and those preachers had a radical effect on the people and society of their times.

Read through those user reviews.... People are being profoundly, profoundly affected. Many say it is not just a movie, it is an experience... Many say it is the best movie they have ever seen. One kid told his mother, "Mom, this is not only the best movie I have ever seen, it is the best movie I ever *will* see." One man said that if he is lucky the images and the message of that film will stay with him up till the day of his death.

This is absolutely huge. This is Jesus Christ crucified being preached throughout all of western civilization in an extremely compelling way. It is going to make a huge, huge difference if we accept it- for our blessing, or if we reject it, for our annihilation.

This movie make evangelization-badly needed evangelization- super simple for even the biblically illiterate. If you can get your friend, relative or associate to that film, you will have performed the work of an evangelist.

This is not "just a movie."
What, next we'll be told that Mel Gibson is greater than Billy Graham?:)

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Zayit said:
What, next we'll be told that Mel Gibson is greater than Billy Graham?:)
St. Paul determnined, "To know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." And this has been the case for every truly great preacher who has ever lived, from the time of the apostles until now. For the sake of argument, and to get some distance, let's put this on Italian soil. St. Peter and St. Paul were there at the beginning, and since that time there have been numerous great preachers who had an enormous effect there, among them Anthony of Padua, Bernardine of Siena, Paul of the Cross and many, many others.

Last week I saw a story to the effect that the number of prints of the film being sent to Italy was being upped from 150 to 500. Whatever else you might say about it, this film is a terrifically effective presentation of Christ crucified, and through this technology will be able to present to virtually all the people of Italy the essence of the Gospel in approximately a three week time frame. Not the pope, not Billy Graham, nor together with them all the previous preachers of italy if they were still alive today could even begin to approach either the intensity or the geographical dispersion of the gospel that this movie is able to accomplish.

I doubt very much that Mel Gibson is greater than Billy Graham, but it's ironic beyond belief that Mel Gibson may actually turn out to be the most effective preacher of Christ crucified who has ever lived.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
simchat_torah said:
I think someone here forgets this thread was started by a "passion lover" ;)

Am I a passion hater? No. I only respond to ridiculous statements like, "best movie in all of history!" hehehe...
Now I am itching brother

What is your vote for the best movie of all history? :D
I am just idly currious

I would like to vote for Dr Zivago

PG :wave:

Upvote 0

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
patriarch said:
I doubt very much that Mel Gibson is greater than Billy Graham, but it's ironic beyond belief that Mel Gibson may actually turn out to be the most effective preacher of Christ crucified who has ever lived.
Oh my. :sigh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.