Not open for further replies.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
I am going to this film every week that it is still in the theaters, God willing.

Why? First of all, because meditating on the Passion of Christ is a marvelous way to grow in the love of God. The humanity of Christ is the window to the Divinity, for through the passion of the Son of God we see His love for us. Many, many saints have testified to this fact.

Secondly, this movie is partially a referendum on the kind of films we Christians want to see and are willing to pay for. Since I am from Chicago I understand the need to "vote early and vote often."

Thirdly, it is a very efficient way to send money to Gibson's Icon Productions so that he will give us many more movies in the same vein.

At this point, I've seen it twice and must say that the second time around was a much richer experience.

We'd be crazy to let this film out of the theaters. In the culture wars this is the ultimate weapon, like a crucifix held up to a vampire :)

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Hix said:
Its just a movie....seriously you would be better off at home reading the Bible.
Look, this movie is to movies as the Bible is to books.

Secondly, keeping this film in the theater makes the central message of the scriptures much more accessible to the public at large, many of whom are illiterate or functionally illiterate.

Thirdly, I've read through many-maybe 600- user reviews at the yahoo page for "The Passion of Christ." Many of them say that they have read the scriptures for years, and some of them have even made themselves experts on the topic of the Lord's passion and death, but this movie brought those words to life in a very vivid way.

Fourthly, there have been many great preachers from the time of the Apostles till now, but none of them have ever been able to preach a sermon on the Passion so vivid as this...and those preachers had a radical effect on the people and society of their times.

Read through those user reviews.... People are being profoundly, profoundly affected. Many say it is not just a movie, it is an experience... Many say it is the best movie they have ever seen. One kid told his mother, "Mom, this is not only the best movie I have ever seen, it is the best movie I ever *will* see." One man said that if he is lucky the images and the message of that film will stay with him up till the day of his death.

This is absolutely huge. This is Jesus Christ crucified being preached throughout all of western civilization in an extremely compelling way. It is going to make a huge, huge difference if we accept it- for our blessing, or if we reject it, for our annihilation.

This movie make evangelization-badly needed evangelization- super simple for even the biblically illiterate. If you can get your friend, relative or associate to that film, you will have performed the work of an evangelist.

This is not "just a movie."

Upvote 0

Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
Its JUST a movie, whats wrong with the other movies about Yeshua? Movies are great but thats all they are, if G-d wanted the story of Yeshua to be spread via video tape he would have had someone with a television camera at the scene of the real Passion.

Instead he had it written down. Il just concentrate on whats written.

Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jesusteen said:
I went to go see it Friday. It is a very good movie... Yes, in the bible it tells you the same thing, but if you see it, it affects you more. It did me. I cried the whole way through it.
I do not wish to dispute this.

I do think that the Biblical accounts can have a similar impact.

Upvote 0

Higher Truth

Nov 9, 2002
✟1,257.00
Faith
Messianic
Since in the movie, only about five minutes of scripture are spoken, some of it errantly, I fail to see how this movie is so accurate as some have claimed. The Word tells us to preach the Gospel, the accurate Gospel to all of the World. The scriptures also say that if you change the Word, you will be shown to be a liar. The scriptures warns us to stay away from mysticism in both the OT and NT books. Much of the movie is based on mystical visions, which try and add to the Word. If you use scripture to measure this film, it falls incredibly short in many areas. People need to get a reality check. READ THE BIBLE.

P.S.

Hix....you are making sense to me today....... ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Hix said:
Its JUST a movie, whats wrong with the other movies about Yeshua? Movies are great but thats all they are, if G-d wanted the story of Yeshua to be spread via video tape he would have had someone with a television camera at the scene of the real Passion.

Instead he had it written down. Il just concentrate on whats written.

Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~
"So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, for the quantity of fish. That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, 'It is the Lord!'"

Start reading through the 11,000 user reviews at the yahoo page for "The Passion of the Christ" Have any of the other movies about Yeshua had anything like this effect?

No. And why not? As one astute reviewer observed, none of the other movies about Our Lord focussed on His passion to anywhere near this extent, and so lacked the witness of the Holy Spirit.

A classic principle of discernmet of spirits is, if it causes repentance, then it is from the Lord. This is causing people to repent. If repentance is the fruit, then Jesus is the gardener.

It is the Lord.

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Look, this movie is to movies as the Bible is to books.

uhhh.... I guess if you have little taste, sure. The Passion is ok for a movie. The acting is bland. The direction, albeit it, is wonderful, but the emotional level just stays at one place through the movie. It needs sharper highs and lows to make you actually feel something... anything.

The only reason people are responding so dramatically to this film is because they have an emotional attachment to the central figure. The film produces very little emotion on the basis of its own merit.

Secondly, keeping this film in the theater makes the central message of the scriptures much more accessible to the public at large, many of whom are illiterate or functionally illiterate.
Hardly a soul is illiterate today. And what shocks me is that you seem to forget the film is SUBTITLED! Which means, anyone watching the movie must be literate or they are going to miss most of what is taking place. Unless of course you already know the story (in which case you wouldn't need to see the film) or you are a master scholar in 2 dead languages (in which case you most likely aren't illiterate).

and some of them have even made themselves experts on the topic of the Lord's passion and death, but this movie brought those words to life in a very vivid way.

Problem is, the actual dipiction wouldn't be very informative of the historical events... as what took place to Y'shua is based on St. Emmerich's visions, not on scripture. Most of the plot is based on scriptural events, but the action that took place is based on a Catholic Mystic's visions... so while it may 'bring it alive in a vivid way', it isn't necessarily accurate.

Read through those user reviews.... People are being profoundly, profoundly affected.... Many say it is the best movie they have ever seen.
Because of their attachment to the central figure, not because of the 'profound' acting, etc. The film is by no means a bad film, I thought it was alright. However, it certainly isn't 'the best film ever'. That's just ignorant.

One man said that if he is lucky the images and the message of that film will stay with him up till the day of his death.
Problem is, like I mentioned earlier... those 'images' are based on a Catholic Mystic's visions, not scriptural imagery.

Shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
The Passion effects you emotionally becuase it is set up in that way, with dramatic music and the classic tale its a real tear jerker. But whats the advantage of the Bible over a movie? For a start you would be reading the Gospel according to G-d, not the Gospel according to St Mel Gibbson (ie its what really happened, not what HE thinks happened).

Anyway, I digress. This movie was very beneficial, but at the end of the day its just a movie, lets remember whats really important here people.
Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have any of the other movies about Yeshua had anything like this effect?

No, because they didn't have 30+ million dollar budgets.

No. And why not?
1) Mel Gibson, one of the most famous men in Hollywood produced/directed it.
2) It had a 30+ million dollar budget.

shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anyway, I digress. This movie was very beneficial, but at the end of the day its just a movie, lets remember whats really important here people.
I think I have to agree with Hix. While I think the movie was not too bad, and it obviously has an affect, let's leave it at that. Let's not start making it out to be more than it is (ie: best movie of all history, etc).

shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif

quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

Hardly a soul is illiterate today. And what shocks me is that you seem to forget the film is SUBTITLED!

I think some people forget to think when they get emotional. Obviously there is a strong emotional attachment to this film, and no matter how 'right' me, or others, may be about the film... certain people will still hold to their predisposed views.

shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
simchat_torah said:
[/font]

1) Mel Gibson, one of the most famous men in Hollywood produced/directed it.
2) It had a 30+ million dollar budget.
Don't forget that the media red herring about anti-semitism has attracted much controversy. Controversy, good or bad, always equals popularity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.