Karen's Story

karen07ann

Jun 9, 2007
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was married to Steve for twelve years. When we got married we agreed that if we had any problems that we would get counseling. I owned my own home when I met Steve and after we got married he moved in with me. I thought we had a good marriage and I loved him. Steve worked all the time doing construction work on the side, besides having a regular job. We didn't talk much and I realized he was very secretive. He brought his son, who had been kicked out of school into our home and that caused a lot of problems. He dealt drugs out of the house and strangers were turning up at all hours. On one occasion he brought an underage girl into the house and I told Steve she needed to leave before we went to bed. I found out some time later that instead of asking the girl go home, Steve had taken his son and the girl to a hotel for the night so they could have sex. Steve paid for the room.

Steve is very irresponsible with money. He ran up $40,000.00 in credit card debt about eight years ago. I took out a second mortgage on my house to help him pay off his debt. He told me he wouldn't use charge cards anymore.

Steve would say things that he knew hurt my feelings, and wouldn't stop when I asked him to. He called African Americans the "N" word and I asked him to stop because I didn't like it. Then he would say "Nig**r!, Nig**r!, Nig**r!" and laugh at me. He would always say "Jesus F**king Christ" to me because he knew it upset me so much. Even though I begged him to stop.

Steve has had three extra-marital infidelities that I know of. In 2001 he had an affair with a woman named Regina who was a married church going lady with three small children. When I became suspicious, I told Steve to pack his things and leave. He started crying, sobbing and begging me to forgive him. He promised me that he would change and that he would never do it again if he lived to be 80 years old. I tried to forgive and forget and tried to repair the marriage. It was very painful and difficult and took a long time before I felt any better.

In 2004 I noticed that he started behaving strangely again. He told me he didn't know if he wanted to be married anymore. He said he didn't know if he loved me. I begged him to go to marriage counseling with me. I begged him to go to Church with me. He would just tell me that he "is not going!" I would call him and he wouldn't answer his cell phone or pager which before he would always answer. I noticed he wasn't at the jobs he was supposed to be at. I caught him in a lot of lies.

I came home one day he had left a post-it note in the kitchen saying "I'm sorry about leaving like this but there is no good way, Steve." He hadn't gone to see a vendor. He had gone home, packed up all his stuff and left. He didn't tell me where he moved and he didn't answer his phone.

After three months he finally agreed to try one more time and moved back in. He was still very distant.

Then after six months he left me once again, never telling me he was leaving. He was just gone.

Again I tried and tried to talk to him but he refused to talk to me or answer my phone calls. In the end I spent two years of Thanksgivings and Christmases alone and in pain because he had deserted me twice.

Then I found out that he was having another affair with a woman we both work with named Cathy. I was broken hearted all over again. And so ashamed because everyone at work knows what he was doing and I still have to see this woman at work sometimes.

Then I started looking through his things and I found out he had had run up another $80,000.00 in credit card debt again. He told me that they were his bills and none of my business. He said he would take care of it.

While he was married to me he tried to have sex with his ex-wife Becky but she told him to leave. He behaved the same way when he was married to Becky, multiple infidelities and abandonment’s.

When he left me the second he had rented a home for him and his 33 year old son to live in but his son didn't work. He slept all day with his druggie friends coming in and out at all hours day and night.

Last year he told me we only got back $300.00 from our joint tax returns. I found out that we really got back more than $4000.00 and he was trying to keep it all for himself and transferred it to a private account.

About six or seven months after Steve left me the second time I decided to try and move on with my life. I met a wonderful man, David. He was everything I had ever wanted. Caring, responsible, trustful and very loving and very honest. We started slowly, but after awhile we developed a strong friendship and I fell deeply in love with him. And he fell in love with me.

I hired an attorney and I filed for divorce. When Steve was served with the divorce papers he finally phoned (He had been ignoring me up to that point) screaming and cussing at me out over the phone. He called me a f**king b**ch and said he was going to take half my house away from me in the divorce settlement.

After I had been with David for around four months I knew our relationship was close to perfect and we had a wonderful life ahead of us. We thought alike and had the same values and interests.

After I had been with David about six months, Steve somehow found out. His son told his mother (Steve's first wife Becky) that "Dad found out Karen has a new man in her life and it's driving him crazy."

Suddenly, Steve started to phone me all the time. He told me he wanted us to get back together. He told me he would never do any of the bad things he had done to me before. He said he had found God and was going to church now. He said that he was willing to go counseling now. He said that now he wanted to turn his life around. He said I was still his wife and to please give him another chance to prove he had changed.

I told David that I was having real problems feeling guilty with the situation. I told David and my church counselor, Corado that if Steve really has changed then I thought I should give him another chance. Corado said God can heal your marriage but we needed to work together and I needed to forgive Steve and try again.

David was very upset and told me I was not thinking straight. He told me I had been emotionally abused through both my marriages and that Steve was manipulating me. David said that my marriage to Steve was over the minute he abandoned me and committed all those adulteries. He said that I suffered from low self-esteem, and that the only reason Steve came back and is doing all this stuff now is because he is controlling me.
I felt such pressure and told David I needed some space to figure this out. He left me alone. Meanwhile Steve kept calling and following me. I finally agreed to go see Corado with Steve. Corado said that we couldn't rebuild our marriage if we lived apart. So I allowed Steve to move back in. That was a mistake. I know that now. It has been so hard and I just don't feel the same. I have a hard time if he even touches my leg in the car. He would cry and plead with me telling me he had really changed this time. Just like he did after his affair in 2001. I felt so guilty.

Now Steve follows me everywhere. He calls me on the cell phone constantly to make sure where I am. He times everything so if I am home late he wants to know why. He intercepts my mail and steals what he doesn't want me to have. He went through my drawers and took pictures of David and me. These pictures had been taken long after Steve had left me. I keep telling Steve that David and I would have never met if he had been an honest husband. He found out my email password and stole all of my email he could before I deleted it. He has taken my self-help books and CD's. He goes to my parent’s house and searches it. He checks their caller ID. He has blocked my phone so that even my son couldn't call me. I had to phone the operator to find out how to unblock the phone. He checks the caller ID all day long and checks all the outgoing calls. He monitors every call I make. He put a GPS tracking device on my car. I had to go to Reseda and pay someone $40.00 to take it off. Before he put the tracking device on my car he followed me to work each morning, and home again at night. I think he might have put another tracking device on my car. I had another cell phone and he fixed it so that all the calls I received went to his cell phone. Then he destroyed that cell phone so that I would have to use one he gave me on from his account. Now he checks my cell phone calls on the Internet everyday and asks me about them. He drives to my workplace everyday to check on me and my car. He calls constantly. He checks my time card at work everyday to make sure I don't leave early without him knowing. He searches my car and takes things he doesn't want me to have. He won't leave the house and follows me from room to room. Whenever I go out he insists on coming with me.

He is still very secretive and I never know what he is thinking or what he is up to. I catch him in lots of little lies almost every day. He secretly unplugged my phone when he went out. When I finally figured out what was wrong, I knew it was because he didn't want me to make any phone calls. When I asked him about it he said it was just an accident, but I know he's lying. And then I think how selfish of him, what if I had an emergency and needed to call the fire department? What if my elderly mother got sick and tried to call me for help?

He left the house he was renting owing a lot of money. He told me that he had taken care of everything. Then the landlord started turning up at my house demanding the money Steve owedfor overdue rent and damages. Steve kept trying to get away with not paying the landlord but I told him that was wrong. I told Steve he should pay the man what he owed him. So finally Steve put another $5000.00 on his credit cards to pay the landlord.

I don't know why Steve is so far in debt. He makes nearly twice what I make. He lives in my house for free. He just pays the utility bill and he's even been late paying that.

We sleep together but he knows I don't like him to touch me. I can't stand the thought of him kissing me, or being intimate with me. Just looking at him sometimes makes me ill. Just to know how much love I gave him and he still did all of those awful things.

Steve keeps telling me over and over that he's been forgiven by God. He says that he has repented and that now I'm the problem. He says I'm an adulteress. He said that he just made a few poor choices. He said he didn't really abandon me; he just wanted a little space. He said that he has read the entire Bible 1 1/2 times. He tells people in the Church that I'm an adulteress and I feel so embarrassed. He kept asking me why I want to be with David. He asks me "Is it because he makes more money than me? Is it because his d**k is bigger than mine?" Steve makes me feel so cheap. He wrote an email to David and told him that I keep asking Steve for sex. That is so mean and hurtful and it is a lie.

I have been seeking both religious and psychological counseling for my situation. They all tell me that Steve displays all the characteristics of a psychopath. They have told me that his behavior is extremely controlling and he just wants to keep me from leaving a sick relationship. They say it is very unlikely that a man with 50 years of dysfunctional behavior will change. Steve gets upset when he learns that I've been to see counselors. (He has taken their books and CD's from me. Now he says he can't remember where he put them) He says that there is nothing wrong with him. He says that he doesn't know why he's done all the things he's done but he will never do them again. Just like he said in 2001 when he had the affair with Regina.

I have to be honest, I miss David terribly. I think about him all the time. I have never loved anyone in my whole life more than I love David and I just know in my heart that he would never do anything like what Steve has done to me. In a way I still love Steve but it's not the same love I had. I feel he has made such a mess of his life, my life, his children's lives and his ex-wife's life too. She told me how much she had loved him also. He has been so selfish and I never would have thought he would ever have done what he has. He could have exposed me to so many sexually transmitted diseases and he didn't care.

Steve's life is a mess but he's done everything to himself, so I don't know why I feel sorry for him. I was always a good and faithful wife to him. I don't know why I let him do what he is doing now. He has taken over my life. I am very unhappy. I wonder if starting a new life would be better than trying to fix everything Steve destroyed, and having to live with all the pain and the shame. I don't know why I find it so hard to get him out of my life. And I'm terrified of a future with him. I'm not afraid of him physically, but I am afraid of him. I'm too afraid of him to ask him to leave.

David said that I should forgive Steve when I'm ready. But he said that I should forgive him from a distance. He said forgiveness doesn't mean that Steve does not pay the consequences for his actions. He said forgiveness doesn't mean I had to reunite with Steve. David doesn't believe that Steve has really changed. He said that Steve is distorting Christianity and the Scriptures for his own benefit.

But he said that if Steve had truly changed then he will be a better person in his next relationship and maybe he won't bring such pain and suffering to the next person. David also said that if Steve truly cared for me, and if he had truly changed then he would not be controlling and manipulating me now.

I just feel so confused and so guilty. When Steve cries all the time I feel sorry for him even though he made this whole mess himself. Then he begs me "Please don't throw me away." I know I don't deserve all this pain and the shame but I just don't know why I feel I have to stay with Steve when it's not what I want for my life. I know he's just using me. I know he's always used me, but I just can't help myself. I'm so afraid to do anything. I wish God would just come down from Heaven and fix everything for me.

I feel frozen and afraid and I feel like David is probably right about Steve. I shouldn't believe him after what he has done. I even found a new credit card in his checkbook. I also learned that he is having some one follow me. He does too sometimes and sits in parking lots along my way to work and watches for me with binoculars. I don't trust Steve and I don't feel safe with him. Steve tells me that he's working on rebuilding the marriage, but I'm not. Why am I so scared to do anything?

Reactions: RooMama

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you should believe Steve and stay with him
If you want to be miserable the rest of your life

I am no proponent of divorce but you need to get out NOW. If what your saying is true and I have no reason to doubt you, you need to do whatever it takes to either get him out, or you leave.

I believe Steve is a ticking time bomb he is unstable, really unstable and really insecure and I believe something is going to push him over the edge of resorting to violence or worse. You need to quit listening to yourself and start listening to those who are not emotionally involved. This guy has some serious problems and you are emotionally wrapped up in the situation; listen to David.
David was very upset and told me I was not thinking straight. He told me I had been emotionally abused through both my marriages and that Steve was manipulating me. David said that my marriage to Steve was over the minute he abandoned me and committed all those adulteries. He said that I suffered from low self-esteem, and that the only reason Steve came back and is doing all this stuff now is because he is controlling me.
I concur.................................

You are not Steve’s savior; you never were so quit acting like it.
Please Karen for your sake get this guy out of your life but do not confront him alone. Check with an attorney see what your options are, you may need the Police there to have him removed, but I don’t know if that is an option unless there has been physical abuse; the Attorney can help you with this.

Reactions: micbmac
Upvote 0

kanga22

Jul 19, 2004
Michigan
✟16,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
David sounds like a wise wise man. My best advice to you is that you listen to him.

You are not alone. Many women stay in bad relationships and are afraid, me included. A very wise friend told me to sever all ties with my husband who; cheats on me, left me, and continues to keep a hold on me. :(

PM me if you want to talk.

You'll be in my prayers.

Upvote 0

aspartamefree

Apr 22, 2007
Australia
✟7,749.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Karen, GET OUT!

Sorry, but Steve is a scary dude. You have no, repeat no responsibility for him. The first time he committed adultery you were well within your rights to divorce him. Every single time that he has abandoned you since, and committed adultery since, is another reason for you to reclaim your life.

Without being mean to you, you are a victim, and behaving like one. You need to become a survivor, and to be a survivor you have to survive, which means seperating from this psychopath as soon as you can.

As mentioned, don't do it alone. Get legal advice, get the police. Get a restraining order and make sure that you have every possible legal backup in place.

He is controlling you, so he will undoubtably have a counter move for restraining orders, etc. If you have any evidence of his behaviour towards you, keep it, and give it to your attorney.

Also see if you can show where you have bailed him out of his credit card bills. That will help in the financial settlement.

Karen, this guy says he's found God, but he doesn't display ANY evidence of repentance. My guess is that he found someone vulnerable and decided to exploit her-> that is, you.

When he heard about David, he worked out that his cash flow was going to be cut off and decided to secure his income, that is you.

You feel guilty because you are taking responsibility for him, when he doesn't even do it himself.

Follow the rule of life: First survive, then thrive. Get yourself safe, then get healthy. Once you get him out of your life, and squared with David, then seek counselling to try to get on with life.

Steve will ruin your life, if not end it.

Be blessed, be safe. Feel free to pm me.

Upvote 0

karen07ann

Jun 9, 2007
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all your responses. I'm just so confused. Steve keeps telling me that God has forgiven him so I just have to get over it. He keeps telling me that he loves me with all his heart and tries to get me to say it back to him. But I can't. I just feel so different toward him. I know he must have some kind of sickness. And I feel sorry for him. He has nothing and he's worked so hard all his life.

Upvote 0

JustBeachy

Senior Veteran
Jan 16, 2007
✟19,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please contact a local women's shelter or domestic violence hotline - they can help you escape. The behavior Steve is exhibiting is frightening and you are in danger. Why should you sacrifice YOU for a relationship that you don't even want? If God has forgiven him, great. But that is between Steve and God. As for you, forgiveness does not mean that you have to stay with him. This counselor has given you bad advice and you do not need to just follow it blindly, just because he was in a church. And you do not need to believe Steve just because he talks about God. He knows exactly how to manipulate you! You need to make up your mind and do this for YOU. Do not let other people make up your mind for you. Please, please get out while you still can, but do not do it alone. You are not safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FriarErasmus

Feb 5, 2007
Visit site
✟8,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please read Matthew 19:9... especially the part about "except for marital unfaithfulness." He "whored" himself out to other women. At that moment, your vows were broken. He was no longer spiritually bound to you. After that, it was up to you to decide whether or not to remain with him, and scripturally, you are free to divorce him without sin. Having seen that he has then done this two more times, he is not showing that he is repentant of his sins. One sign of someone having given their heart to God is that they do not continue in their sin. Listen to the advice given... carefully, and with much assistance from those who love you, get rid of him and continue with the man who really does love you. I say this, not just as a man seeking God's heart, but as a son of two parents who are divorced. I know the heartbreak it can cause, but it is not anywhere near the heartbreak which has already been forced onto you by Steve. He has forfeited the right to be your husband, and has earned his reward. Pray for him, pity him, love him, but whatever you do, leave him, because anything less would put your life in danger.

Upvote 0

Whitestone

Feb 9, 2004
Big Blue Water
✟15,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To me it seems like Steve left you, and if a unblieving spouse leaves we are to let them go.

Do you care for Steve, or do you feel sorry for him?

If you feel sorry for him then it sounds like you are codependent and enabling him to screw up which is the worst thing for him.

He probably only got interested in what you are doing again when he found out you found someone else and got afraid that he would lose his control over you.

It sounds like David has his head on strait and is willing to be with you in spite of Steve.

From an outsite perspective it would appear that the Lord has blessed you with David, I would suggest complete embracing that relationship.....and if you chose to possibly marry him. FOLLOW all of his advice in regards to Steve. Steve needs to learn there are consequences for his actions.

Whitestone

Upvote 0

faithfulchild

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2006
✟24,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Karen it is a given that along with confusion and guilt your are also dealing with fear of the unknown. Keep in mind that he committed adultery not once but over and over. He is clinging to you because of his fear of losing you. I agree totally with all the others who have responded. I am also in total agreement with David. Get yourself to a safe place where you can get counselling and think clearly. Staying in this situation will only mess you up more.

You stated:
I wish God would just come down from Heaven and fix everything for me.

God is working to fix things for you. You have posted stating what your situation is. Many people have replied, all telling you muchly the same story. My suggestion is, TAKE HEED............Reread FriarErasmus post. Tells it all in bibical terms.

God Bless!

Feel free to PM me!

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟17,695.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I feel sorry for you because all you have ever done is show this man kindness and steve knows this. He keeps leaving and you keep taking him back. Don't feel its your duty because you are a christian to have him back all the time and feel sorry for him. Steve doesn't feel sorry for you hun.

The most strengthening thing you can do in your life right now, is walk away. If steve tries to make you feel guilty or starts to cry, bite your lip and let him.

If David wants you back then go back to him. You need to relearn what happiness is all about. Your not going to ever learn that with Steve. I think you think you derserve this type of treatment. You think its your problem. If steve has a problem then he sure knows what hes doing. If he's ill then he is also clever at not being ill. It's all in his time and you must put a stop to that time. He is controlling you and because of the control, you think he loves you.
It is very hard to give up something that you love, even through abuse and unfaithfulness.
You don't deserve this and neither does any other woman going through this.
Please leave him. Pray to God and ask Him the right way forward.
If you lose everything (possessions etc) you can always start afresh and know that God has something better for you.
I pray you will make the right decision.

God bless you Karen.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Leave Steve. A bit of advice that rhymes so well couldn't possibly be wrong. I can't think of anything that rhymes with David but my advice would be that you cut all ties with steve, get legal representation and a restraining order, I would not ever have anything to do with this man again. I would also call David and tell him to call you in 6 months but not before. Take some time to be alone and reflect and think, don't jump back into anything with David just yet, go slow. Wounded people have a tendency to see only the best in people that they imagine might offer them a way out. Go very slow and make certain that David is the knight in shining armour that he appears to be.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are afraid because you made a vow to love him, and gave yourself to him. But he has spurned that.

Also, it is scary, especially after having had self confidence battered, to believe that you can do it, and actually survive on your own - a case of the devil you do no than risking the devil you don't situation.

Read Genesis. One of the major effects of the fall was that women would be inordinately submissive to men - "Your desire will be for him and he will rule over you. You must not allow him to destroy you are a person.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Whitestone

Feb 9, 2004
Big Blue Water
✟15,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you again. I'm just so afraid of Steve and of change. I'm not physically afraid, but I'm afraid of hurting him. I don't know why I'm so concerned after all he's done.
Do you see Steve as a man or an overgrown child? This is pretty important. Do you not want to cut ties with him because you think he needs you to take care of him?

Upvote 0