Kansas votes 62% to retain the right to access an abortion in its constitution.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So there was a real vote...
And then these other people went and "skewed" it?
If they were true Americans or Kansans they would not be sullying themselves by living in wastelands of scum and villainy called cities.

• Haha
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think this also reflects that people preferred the status quo to whatever the majority in the legislature had in mind, but were unwilling to state ahead of time.
Yup. I just crunched the numbers, and you could actually ignore JoCo, Douglas County, WyCo, and Riley County (the top 4 "No" counties by percentage) plus either Topeka or Wichita (though not both) and it still wouldn't pass. JoCo - being the most populous county in the state - did have the most "No" votes by far, but it also had the most "Yes" votes by far.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If they were true Americans or Kansans they would not be sullying themselves by living in wastelands of scum and villainy called cities.
Its all language of the electoral affirmative-action for rural people assumption that "conservatives" use to justify the composition of the senate:

That city people votes should count less because darn it theres more of them and thats not fair!

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Its all language of the electoral affirmative-action for rural people assumption that "conservatives" use to justify the composition of the senate:

That city people votes should count less because darn it theres more of them and thats not fair!
Well I mean, it isn’t!

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Can’t have people skewing a state wide vote by participating in it, time for succession!
I'm originally from Kansas. Most of my "good, conservative Christian" family members still live there. None of them in the larger cities. They spent most of last night online complaining about Wichita, Lawrence and KC, who predominantly voted no. They, of course, said that the people there weren't "really" Kansans, and the state should do something to invalidate their votes. Because they've never really understood how this "government" thing actually works.

Oh, and in the days leading up to the election, misleading texts saying “Women in KS are losing their choice on reproductive rights. Voting YES on the Amendment will give women a choice” were sent out in an attempt to trick people who were going to vote no into voting yes. The texts are thought to have been sent out by a Republican-backed group. When I pointed that out to some of my family, their response was "good, whatever it takes".

So... the moral is, if you're a Democrat, don't ever let a conservative Christian try and lecture you on the ethics of the Democratic Party.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The way it should have always been.. left to the state. Yet lol IS Biden Justice Department suing states regrading abortion? Yes
The way it should be until the republicans have congress and the White House, then so long states rights hello federal ban.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The way it should have always been.. left to the state....
Lets say Rs do float a federal ban in congress. Would you discourage your rep from voting for it?

If it passed would you prefer the supreme court find such a ban to be a usurpation of state powers?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup. I just crunched the numbers, and you could actually ignore JoCo, Douglas County, WyCo, and Riley County (the top 4 "No" counties by percentage) plus either Topeka or Wichita (though not both) and it still wouldn't pass. JoCo - being the most populous county in the state - did have the most "No" votes by far, but it also had the most "Yes" votes by far.

IOW, the entire state of Kansas rejected the measure...not just the urban areas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now the question is, do state legislators have some work around that allows them to ignore this vote and restrict abortion anyway?

GOP: 'Yay! It's no longer a federal matter. It's down to the states. Let the people decide!'
Kansan: 'We just did. We decided to keep access to abortion'.
GOP: 'What the..? Well, we'll see about that!'

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
GOP: 'Yay! It's no longer a federal matter. It's down to the states. Let the people decide!'
Arkansan: 'We just did. We decided to keep access to abortion'.
Erm ... Kansas and Arkansas are 2 different places.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Erm ... Kansas and Arkansas are 2 different places.

Yikes...my bad. Corrected.

Garland: 'Toto, I've got a feeling that we're not in Arkansas any more'.
Fleming: 'Oh, good grief...Cut!'

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok? The residents of Johnson County (which is absolutely not more liberal than Lawrence - I would know, having lived in both places) and Lawrence are just as much citizens of the state of Kansas as the residents of Hays, Salina, Dodge City, and all of the other towns around the state. They get just as much say in any changes to the state constitution - that is to say, one vote each.

Also, for the record: Kansas Democratic & Republican Primary Election Results and Maps 2022 | CNN Politics

Johnson County was tied for third in percentage voting "No" on the amendment. Douglas County (Lawrence) and Wyandotte County (KCK) were much more skewed. If you wanted, we could ignore Johnson County entirely, and the measure still wouldn't pass.

A map was what I needed to see, and I see that I was shooting from the hip. Thanks for the heads up!

• Friendly
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Kansan: 'We just did. We decided to keep access to abortion'.

I can recall examples of state legislatures overriding the public after they voted down funding for sports stadiums. When the fix is in, the fix is in.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can recall examples of state legislatures overriding the public after they voted down funding for sports stadiums. When the fix is in, the fix is in.
Fortunately, in this case at least, the issue voted down was a constitutional amendment, which isn't something that the legislature can do unilaterally. The Kansas supreme court has already affirmed that the state constitution guarantees the right to abortion in Kansas, so - short of overturning that ruling - there's not much that the legislature can do to override the will of the people.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Fortunately, in this case at least, the issue voted down was a constitutional amendment, which isn't something that the legislature can do unilaterally. The Kansas supreme court has already affirmed that the state constitution guarantees the right to abortion in Kansas, so - short of overturning that ruling - there's not much that the legislature can do to override the will of the people.
So what the GOP needs to do is install the right judges in the Kansas Supreme Court, right?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So what the GOP needs to do is install the right judges in the Kansas Supreme Court, right?

Anyone remember the big push for an anti-flag-burning amendment? It took some courageous people to vote it down. I'd voted for Bush Sr. in 1988, but after that debacle and his others, never voted Republican again.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To all those pro-lifers who were celebrating the Supreme Court decision overturning Roe vs. Wade; remember when I said this was likely to backfire, because the American public doesn't like autocrats telling them what they must do?

Told ya so. This will set the pro-life movement back by years.

Edit: I don't think this is a good thing; I think it's a very bad thing.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seems like either way America wins.

Minority rule is not a viable plan for America. Republicans will either move back toward American values or they will join the Whigs.

The former would be a better alternative, but the latter would work.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0