Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not have voted for her in a general election, since I thought she was over the top and almost exploitative with the identity politics (especially when she started complaining at other candidates for not getting behind her campaign to ban Trump from Twitter), so I was very glad to hear this.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think being a career prosecutor was a challenge to sell in this election cycle, even if now she was championing criminal justice reform. Once this was brought to the forefront for people at the debate she never recovered.
Yep, Gabbard did her in in that debate.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a fan, but I think she tried to hard to be exactly halfway between the Warren/Sanders wing and the more moderate wing, and there just isn't a coherent 'halfway' policy that makes any sense as a plan.

Honestly, although she was taking lumps for being a prosecutor, she should have emphasized that. A law and order Democrat. Liberal, but no bleeding heart.

She started trying to do that right at the end, indicating she had always represented the people as a prosecutor, and not corporations.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, Gabbard did her in in that debate.

...another symptom of our broken political process. For a relatively unknown candidate such as Gabbard, the only way she can get noticed (and fund raise) is to create "tweetable moments" during a debate.

IMO, we need to convert to 100% public financing and shorten the election cycle.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have about the same memory. After the debate, Rubio still was on the ballot. He was soundly beaten at the end of Feb in here in SC. He stayed on the ballot for Super Tuesday a week or two later. He finally gave up after Fl, as you say.

I don't know if you're remembering correctly but Christie left the race in early February 2016 after New Hampshire (which was just a few days after "owning" Rubio)....Rubio stayed around till the primary in Florida a month later.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
...another symptom of our broken political process. For a relatively unknown candidate such as Gabbard, the only way she can get noticed (and fund raise) is to create "tweetable moments" during a debate.

IMO, we need to convert to 100% public financing and shorten the election cycle.
Seemed like a legitimate criticism of her public service record to me.

Upvote 0