bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
There have been those who propose that justification is contingent upon one's ongoing performance. There have been those who propose that one maintains one's justification by not sinning. These ideas are which Paul refers to as justification by law and are in contrast to justification by faith apart from law. Furthermore there are those who claim that what Paul means by "law" are simply ceremonial aspects of the law of Moses. The following clarifies from scriptures what justification by law refers to.

Rom 10:5 Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." (Lev 18:5)

The "things" Moses is referring to can be seen from what follows Lev 18:5, which is where the quote comes from. Among these things includes not getting involved with sexual immorality, Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another. Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD. Do not defraud your neighbor or rob him. Do not hold back the wages of a hired man overnight. Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD. Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly. Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the LORD. Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

In fact most of the commands, just like the 10 commandments, involved not sinning. And therefore if a person claims that one maintains one's justification by not sinning, they are talking about justification by law. Furthermore as all these have to do with one's performance, those who claim that justification is contingent upon one's ongoing performance, they are talking about justification by law. And we note also, as Paul was reference these things with regards to justification by law, and most of these things are not a matter of ceremony, therefore Paul is not restricting the idea of justification by law as merely regarding ceremonial matters.

This is further supported in Romans 4:4-6 Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

Note that the rhetoric indicates Paul is speaking of "works" generically - that idea of working for your justification. To be qualified to be saved by faith apart from works one has to abandon the idea of working for his salvation.

Now going back to Romans 10 Paul sets justification by faith apart from justification by law (the idea of gaining eternal life by one's performance)

Rom 10
9 If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile— the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,
13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

No mention of works, just trust. The idea is to trust in the Lord Jesus to save you, versus trying to qualify for salvation by one's compliance to regulations. Trying to be a good person to be saved is justification by law and does not qualify one to be justified by faith.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the vast majority of the New Testament texts are NOT about how to get saved, or even how to stay saved. It is about how to life AFTER you are saved.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been those who propose that justification is contingent upon one's ongoing performance. There have been those who propose that one maintains one's justification by not sinning. These ideas are which Paul refers to as justification by law and are in contrast to justification by faith apart from law. Furthermore there are those who claim that what Paul means by "law" are simply ceremonial aspects of the law of Moses. The following clarifies from scriptures what justification by law refers to.

Rom 10:5 Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." (Lev 18:5)

The "things" Moses is referring to can be seen from what follows Lev 18:5, which is where the quote comes from. Among these things includes not getting involved with sexual immorality, Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another. Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD. Do not defraud your neighbor or rob him. Do not hold back the wages of a hired man overnight. Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD. Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly. Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the LORD. Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

In fact most of the commands, just like the 10 commandments, involved not sinning. And therefore if a person claims that one maintains one's justification by not sinning, they are talking about justification by law. Furthermore as all these have to do with one's performance, those who claim that justification is contingent upon one's ongoing performance, they are talking about justification by law. And we note also, as Paul was reference these things with regards to justification by law, and most of these things are not a matter of ceremony, therefore Paul is not restricting the idea of justification by law as merely regarding ceremonial matters.

This is further supported in Romans 4:4-6 Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

Note that the rhetoric indicates Paul is speaking of "works" generically - that idea of working for your justification. To be qualified to be saved by faith apart from works one has to abandon the idea of working for his salvation.

Now going back to Romans 10 Paul sets justification by faith apart from justification by law (the idea of gaining eternal life by one's performance)

Rom 10
9 If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile— the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,

No mention of works, just trust. The idea is to trust in the Lord Jesus to save you, versus trying to qualify for salvation by one's compliance to regulations. Trying to be a good person to be saved is justification by law and does not qualify one to be justified by faith.

Rom 10

Justification by faith with the ongoing sanctification work of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Justification by faith with the ongoing sanctification work of the Holy Spirit.
Simply said but covers the facts. Faith believes that Jesus Christ has performed the actions thereby trusting God who justifies the wicked. Sanctification is applied as an offering toward righteousness.

Romans 6:19-22
I am using a human analogy because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you offered the parts of yourselves as slaves to moral impurity, and to greater and greater lawlessness, so now offer them as slaves to righteousness, which results in sanctification.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ecc 4:6 says that a handful of tranquility is better than two fistfuls full of labour and striving after the wind. Peace is the gift of justification imo while joy comes with the process of sanctification. That is the way of life that is the promise of at-one-ment that people want to obtain. But it starts with a stillness toward God. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Ecc 4:6 says that a handful of tranquility is better than two fistfuls full of labour and striving after the wind. Peace is the gift of justification imo while joy comes with the process of sanctification. That is the way of life that is the promise of at-one-ment that people want to obtain. But it starts with a stillness toward God. Thoughts?
Kind of goes along with Isaiah 30:15 This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it."
Some people (the self-righteous) insist on working to be saved and refuse to rest and trust.

If God asks, "Why should I let you into my kingdom?"

The self-righteous will try to justify themselves.

But I will merely say, "I'll defer to my lawyer. He's sitting next to you"

• Agree
Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simply said but covers the facts. Faith believes that Jesus Christ has performed the actions thereby trusting God who justifies the wicked. Sanctification is applied as an offering toward righteousness.

Romans 6:19-22
I am using a human analogy because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you offered the parts of yourselves as slaves to moral impurity, and to greater and greater lawlessness, so now offer them as slaves to righteousness, which results in sanctification.
Sanctification is the process towards Holiness.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0