Just went through the most disturbing thing of my life, please help me.

Apr 23, 2012
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Earlier today I was walking in the woods with my dogs when I came across the body of a large almost mature gosling. I noticed that it was covered in flies. I didn't even realize, but it was actually still alive! It was tragically injured from the leg & part of the chest and on closer inspection I saw that its leg was deformed & decomposing as well as part of its chest. There is no way this poor little thing would survive. It quickly scrambled into the water and i followed it around for the some time. Its leg was unable to be used and it clearly couldn't paddle that leg at all. It kept trying to come up onto dry land, presumably to die. I was scared and couldn't let this poor bird suffer. I waited until it got onto dry land and finally caught up with it. I called my dad and he told me that i should just kill it because it was going to die anyway. I LOVE animals SO much in fact I'm training to become a veterinary technician so this is something I'm going to have to deal with in the future. So, I took a giant rock and....struck it. Multiple times. Seemingly countless time. The flashbacks are still in my head right now. It didn't die the first time but stumbled around as I continued to quickly strike at its head. Still it wouldn't die. I started to scream & cry and hitting it as hard as I could aiming exactly at the head. It started to smash the brain & the eyeball popped out as well as the brains. Blood and brains splattered all over my chest, arms & legs. I was crying like mad. This was the most tragic thing I've ever done in my life...and I feel like I did the wrong thing! :'-( I'm so sad right now and I feel like I really messed up. What if it COULD have been saved?! What if I had taken it to the vet?!? Why didn't I do that!!!!!!! I mean, I had thought about it....but I didn't think the vet would take in a wild animal and I didn't want the worms, bugs & nasty little creatures consuming it to get all over my dogs & car because I didn't want them to contract a disease. Also, I didn't have any of the necessary equipment to catch it & hold onto it. Ohhhhh man :( I'm almost about to cry just typing this. I read online that vets COULD help wild animals!!!!! I seriously messed up :( :( but i couldn't...i just did what I thought was right at the time. Please, someone help me & help me feel like I did the right thing...and if I didn't, then just give me the truth....

Reactions: SparkyMaddie

SparkyMaddie

Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think you have to do the thing you do not want to do. You can't keep going over this in your head though. I probably would have but a foot over the neck and broke the neck quickly. Sadly..it had suffered days before you came along. It's suffering is over. It's hard to say how to put an animal 'down' out in the wild. Hard to think clearly at the moment. Give yourself a break-God knows you were trying to do the only thing you could think of.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I honestly would not do thay again if I were you. Things happen in nature all the time that you're not there to control. It's just what it is....nature...

True...

Reactions: tangled
Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm so sorry you went through that,that's awful.:( but I believe your heart was in the right place,and you did call your dad and ask,I would have done the same in the situation I think. it was suffering horribly,and you had mercy on it and ended it's pain. I know it must be horrible to have the image in your head,I'm so sorry for that,it's just awful.:( but as a PP said,the poor little thing isn't suffering anymore,and that's thanks to you,you spared it anymore pain. *hug* ugh,what an awful experience.:(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums