✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

For those interested in the topic of Free Will vs Predestination I have created a resource at A comprehensive look at Predestination vs free will

It is a mix of the old content from the site, plus new things I have encountered here on the forums. It is still not perfect but better than it was.

If you are super not busy, have a read over it and let me know what I could improve.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi all,

For those interested in the topic of Free Will vs Predestination I have created a resource at A comprehensive look at Predestination vs free will

It is a mix of the old content from the site, plus new things I have encountered here on the forums. It is still not perfect but better than it was.

If you are super not busy, have a read over it and let me know what I could improve.

You have an interesting site.

Do you know anything about Free Will Baptists? There is a Free Will Baptist Church near where I live. I have been to a couple of services there but I have not actually heard them say anything about free will. Yet they are the only church I know of with free will in the name of the church.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have an interesting site.

Do you know anything about Free Will Baptists? There is a Free Will Baptist Church near where I live. I have been to a couple of services there but I have not actually heard them say anything about free will. Yet they are the only church I know of with free will in the name of the church.
I have not heard anything about that. Sometimes pastors name their churches with their personal mission or goal. They may have a mission centered around free will?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have not heard anything about that. Sometimes pastors name their churches with their personal mission or goal. They may have a mission centered around free will?

That name didn't come from a pastor. The Free Will Baptist Church is a denomination. It is as old as the Baptists but it isn't a split off of any other Baptist group. They are generally regarded as ultraconservative. the only other thing I know about them is that they practice foot washing as an ordinance, along with baptism and communion.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi all,

I like your use of the early church fathers in discussing free will. People think of early Christians like Justin Martyr and Tertullian as Catholics, but the Latin Mass wasn't invented for another four hundred years after they died. Protestants would do well to learn from them instead of dismissing them.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi all,

Even if you want to prove Reformed or Calvinistic Predestination wrong, the assumptions made by you and by some of your references. A good argument depends on fairly representing the opposition's thesis and claims. You have been told repeatedly where you do this wrong.

But just for starters: Calvinistic Predestination does not rule out free will, unless by 'free will' you mean uncaused choice. Right off the bat, you fail to give a good definition for free will, both from a negative and from a positive point of view. Be explicit, precise, then proceed with your argument. But look to your assumptions as you go. It is no argument to make bald assertions, without demonstrating where the opposition is wrong.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Even if you want to prove Reformed or Calvinistic Predestination wrong, the assumptions made by you and by some of your references. A good argument depends on fairly representing the opposition's thesis and claims. You have been told repeatedly where you do this wrong.

But just for starters: Calvinistic Predestination does not rule out free will, unless by 'free will' you mean uncaused choice. Right off the bat, you fail to give a good definition for free will, both from a negative and from a positive point of view. Be explicit, precise, then proceed with your argument. But look to your assumptions as you go. It is no argument to make bald assertions, without demonstrating where the opposition is wrong.

Really? I've been trying to figure out what Calvinists mean by free will for years. As far as I can tell, it means whatever they want it to mean at the moment.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Really? I've been trying to figure out what Calvinists mean by free will for years. As far as I can tell, it means whatever they want it to mean at the moment.
As far as I know, all they mean is what I mean by 'freewill' —that man has the ability of choice, real, effectual choice, with consequences even in eternity.

The notion that choice and will is somehow in some way absolutely spontaneous, uncaused, makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0